Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.  (Read 25052 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »
+1 on the above.

I was very reluctant to move away from the 2oz pump driven shot. I initially needed the second pull for shot volume reasons.

These things become less important as you discover other things.

You are on a journey.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:29 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the pressure setting that you PVL owners prefer? Mine is at a little over 1.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »
Pretty much where I have mine, but that doesn't mean we are both at the same pressure as the gauges might be reporting differently. Just try and get it setup so you have enough boiler pressure to create good milk and that will put you in the right ballpark for shot temps.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »
Pretty much where I have mine, but that doesn't mean we are both at the same pressure as the gauges might be reporting differently. Just try and get it setup so you have enough boiler pressure to create good milk and that will put you in the right ballpark for shot temps.

I'm getting fantastic steaming capabilities, but I question the setting because when I drop the lever to clean the group head screen, I get steam shooting out as well as water dribbles. My hot water dispensing wand on the right also has a lot of pressure coming out, basically forcefully spewing hot water and steam at the same time. This may be normal; I just don't know.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »
Love the tamper!   Anything that's "one of a kind" rocks my world. [emoji12]
LMWDP #440

BoldJava

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
... Anything that's "one of a kind" rocks my world. [emoji12]

Even Yakster?

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
You called this one:
LMWDP #440

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:49 PM »
I vote leave your pressure alone unless/until you have an instinctive reason to change it AND an expected outcome of what changing it will do.

And forget what anybody else is set at. This machine isn't like others. Its got a say of its own....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:13:18 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 04:10:49 PM »

I'm getting fantastic steaming capabilities, but I question the setting because when I drop the lever to clean the group head screen, I get steam shooting out as well as water dribbles. My hot water dispensing wand on the right also has a lot of pressure coming out, basically forcefully spewing hot water and steam at the same time. This may be normal; I just don't know.

Only way to find out what you like is to do an A/B comparison with the current setting and a decreased pressure setting. I drilled a small hole in the side of my case for that very reason.

jspain

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »
Jason,

My pressure is just the same as your's and my results are great. Your description of the pressure during the cleaning process is also similar to mine. However, I've never tried to adjust mine for comparison and always have stayed with the factory set.....

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »

Only way to find out what you like is to do an A/B comparison with the current setting and a decreased pressure setting. I drilled a small hole in the side of my case for that very reason.

Why the hole?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:39 PM »

Why the hole?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because the way my interior is setup, the pressurestat is accessible for adjustments through that hole by using a skinny screwdriver.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »
I see. Mine is right on top, clearly visible when you remove the warming tray.

I think I'm getting better and better at steaming milk. I'm sure you've heard about coffee strong enough to hold up a spoon, but how about milk strong enough to hold up a stir stick? I made my latte this morning, put in a dab of sugar, and then turned around to talk to a co worker. Turned back to see this:

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »
Microfoam, good enough to replace Graphene. ;-)

jspain

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »
Now for the art work!!!!!!!