Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.  (Read 25050 times)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
Re: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 05:17:21 AM »
You self control people blow my mind.

I unpacked mine within 11 seconds and had roasted AND pre ordered some Redbird timed to be aged upon machine arrival.
It isn't self control - just lack of spare time. Just set up a new desktop and laptop for my wife in the last week.

Based on my non-roasting, we would be totally OUT of coffee. Luckily I ordered a few pounds from The Excellent Cup!!!
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Call me curious. I am in the market for a new espresso machine for the home. I have never had nor used a lever machine, but I am intrigued. I've owned a couple Appias. A couple Vivaldis and a Vibiemme. I am the only coffee drinker in the house and almost always drink straight espresso, as opposed to milk drink. The occasional cappa, but not that often. Guidance welcome.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

milowebailey

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 08:34:49 PM »
This would be a perfect fit

BoldJava

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2014, 04:09:48 AM »
... I have never had nor used a lever machine, but I am intrigued. I've owned a couple Appias. . .
Shep

If I didn't have my Cremina, I would jump on a PVL in a second.  Milo had one at the SCAA Portland event (we had 6 machines in his room).  I loved the shot from his machine.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
I thought I had my technique down pretty good, but I turned my portafilter into a naked model this past week and found that I need some work. I was getting a bit of spray from the basket. Tweaked the grind and tamp until I got the flow right,which, of course, helped improve the overall quality of the shot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
I unpacked mine within 11 seconds and had roasted AND pre ordered some Redbird timed to be aged upon machine arrival.
Finally unpacked my PVL and set it up. I discovered that the lever handle is about 1/2 inch too tall - it just barely blocks the kitchen cabinets. I need to unscrew the lever handle when I'm not using it  :-[

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
Can you cut it down, or have a custom handle made?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the pressure setting that you PVL owners prefer? Mine is at a little over 1.
Looks like my pressure may be WAY too low. I waited 40 minutes, and it never got above 0.5

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
Can you cut it down, or have a custom handle made?
Interesting idea. But I'm pretty sure Mrs G will like it better without any handle  ::)

jspain

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »
Rick,

Make sure you bleed the boiler by letting steam off the steam wand. If it's gone 40 minutes it probably won't make a big difference. It is normal for the pressure to register low so go ahead after releasing steam and pull a shot. Pressure may be fine.... My pressure registers on the lower side.... Have fun with the new toy! 

SJM

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2014, 02:23:57 PM »
I can also mail you the pressure gauge that goes on the steam wand if you want a second opinion.

Susan

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
Every time you turn the machine on it will get to a certain point where you need to open the steam wand for a few seconds, this will let the boiler achieve its setpoint.

At this point you will also want to pull a small amount of water through the grouphead in order to start the grouphead circulation (which will eventually get the grouphead up to temp).

SJM

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
Interesting with the SAMA you only have to do that if you have opened up the boiler to add water.  You don't have to "release the false pressure" on the subsequent pulls.  Or so I have always thought, and practice...

Susan

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
Every time you turn the machine on it will get to a certain point where you need to open the steam wand for a few seconds, this will let the boiler achieve its setpoint.

At this point you will also want to pull a small amount of water through the grouphead in order to start the grouphead circulation (which will eventually get the grouphead up to temp).
This is what I have learned from the InterNets, and also is mentioned in the skimpy PVL "owner's manual".

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »
Interesting with the SAMA you only have to do that if you have opened up the boiler to add water.  You don't have to "release the false pressure" on the subsequent pulls.  Or so I have always thought, and practice...

Susan

I try to put in just enough water that I use most of it during an espresso session, and then I drain off the excess when I'm shutting the system down. That way I'm always using fresh water for every session, which means my boiler cap is off and on for every session.