Author Topic: Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus  (Read 18470 times)

SJM

Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus
« on: April 25, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
Now available with manual control....and the old ones are upgradeable???

That sounds promising.

Today at the SCAA show in Seattle, Behmor announced the new Plus roaster.
It looks exactly like the normal 1600 but with a manual mode in addition to the auto mode it currently has.
Basically, choosing the manual mode, you can change the power level from 100% to 75 or 50 or 25 anytime during the roast, and change as often as you like.  There are two temperature readouts, one for the chamber wall and one for the exhaust area.  Drum speed can be toggled from 8 to 16 rpm.  Joe said that a new motor
will allow 32 rpm.[/i]
The control panel will be available for upgrades soon, so those with a current 1600 don't have to buy a new roaster.  Joe hopes to keep the cost down, I believe below $100, maybe below $75. 
The 1600 Plus price will be a little higher than the present price, probably (I think, anyway) less than $400.  But with the Hottop price jumping a bunch here recently, perhaps all such roasters will jump in price.
With the manual mode, you can set the starting time higher and be assured your roast will finish. 

The 220V versions will get a different looking control panel with the weights in grams (like 200,300,400) or close to that.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:01:09 PM by Joe »

RobertL

Re: Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:57:51 PM »
I have an old Behmor that I picked up a while back as a spare roaster. I will definitely upgrade it when the parts are available. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:58:36 PM »
I will talk to Joe at SCAA tomorrow.... details to follow.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »
How very interesting.  The possibility of more profiling.  My Behmor from the original shipment back in 2007 gave up the ghost a while back, so I will await news of the Plus eagerly.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
That's what I like to hear.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »
It's about time!
Talk about a game changer; all it needs is a digital interface for a laptop.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:55:29 AM »
It's about time!
Talk about a game changer...

Joe has taken all the input to heart and reworked his first child.  Admirable. Some lessons in there for me.

Looking forward to Milo's discussion with Joe.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 07:28:50 AM »
Totally great news. Please count me as first in line for the upgrade.

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
SJM, didn't you just get a hottop?  Will this upgrade to the behemor change your thoughts on it? Are you going to regret getting the hottop?

(Just wondering in Benbrook, Texas)
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 07:58:05 AM »
I have always been a fan of the Behmore.  I learned how to use mine and you can make good coffee with it!  Learn how to manipulate it.   With these changes coming out now, it looks even more of a better deal.  I like the thought of being able to give it a bit more heat, as some beans seemed to really need a lot to finally kick off.  I got one of the first ones shipped, I too wonder if it is upgradable.  If not, I wonder if he'd consider a trade in :D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »
I have always been a fan of the Behmore.  I learned how to use mine and you can make good coffee with it!  Learn how to manipulate it.   With these changes coming out now, it looks even more of a better deal.  I like the thought of being able to give it a bit more heat, as some beans seemed to really need a lot to finally kick off.  I got one of the first ones shipped, I too wonder if it is upgradable.  If not, I wonder if he'd consider a trade in :D

Aaron
I will ask Joe all of that today.

smico

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
This is cool.
Milo, can you also ask Joe if this mod will allow easy control of fan/heat with TC4 and other devices.
I love my Hottop roaster, but after recent price increase I don't like the money-grabber company behind it at all.
Thank you,
Miroslav

milowebailey

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »
This is cool.
Milo, can you also ask Joe if this mod will allow easy control of fan/heat with TC4 and other devices.
I love my Hottop roaster, but after recent price increase I don't like the money-grabber company behind it at all.
Thank you,
Miroslav

I will try and get the whole scoop.

SJM

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 08:42:35 AM »
SJM, didn't you just get a hottop?  Will this upgrade to the behemor change your thoughts on it? Are you going to regret getting the hottop?

(Just wondering in Benbrook, Texas)

I did (just get one) and I don't (regret it).
I am glad I got it before the price went up $200, because that might have daunted me.
But if the new one had come out first?  Hard to know what I would have done.
I probably would have ordered the retrofit and given it a run for its $$$.
But then if I still didn't love it, the HT would cost more....

I'm glad I got the HT when I got it.

Susan

milowebailey

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
I saw the new Behmor today, looks just like the old one... difference being the controller.

Joe has done a bunch to update the controller including being able to change the drum speed and the heat.

It's not fully variable, but you can start a profile and then jump out of it at any time and go to manual mode.

Power levels are in increments (i don't remember if it's 20% or 25%).  Fan speed I don't think is variable, but I didn't ask him that.... it was zoo in there.

He said there will  be a new board available in a month or two that will have the new features that will sell for under $75.  The new board will work in any Behmor

He also said he had something else in the works that will be released next year that will also be offered as an upgrade to all Behmors

The thing I like about Joe is his commitment to improve his roaster an not gouge folks as well as work with all older roasters

The Brazen has also been improved.  New valve, new removable filter and a larger basket and new port in the top of the carafe.