Author Topic: Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus  (Read 18469 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Re: Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 02:25:46 PM »
I just heard from Behmor that the upgrade will be available in four to five weeks and will cost $50.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »
Does anyone know if the new model is available yet?   I have a friend that wants to buy one. 
LMWDP #440

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
What would the new model offer that differs from an upgraded machine?

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »

The upgrade boards will be available before the new models, not sure when the new models will be available.

Wow.  That seems kinda backwards. 
LMWDP #440

dukhuntr

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »
I got an email from Joe Behm saying he thinks my unit will go out around July 7-8.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
The upgrade boards will be available before the new models, not sure when the new models will be available.

The Aussie site received their shipment of new Behmor models in mid May:
http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/38089-behmor-1600-plus-coffee-roaster-2.html
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »
I can't wait to install the new board. Will this provide all the benefits of the new model, esp. readng temperatures?

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »
The new control panel will provide all the new features of the Behmor 1600 Plus. Temperature readings from the sidewall sensor and exhaust while not really new with the 220-240V models, will be available. The most interesting new feature is the manual mode power levels and motor rotation switch. The slow cooling method remains the same but many users have opted for external cooling devices already. 

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 05:17:32 AM »
The slow cooling method remains the same but many users have opted for external cooling devices already.

Which brings up a question for me. Is it safe (for the Behmor) to place a fan in front and have it blowing in full force during the cooling cycle? that's the only option I see because I'm not reaching in to remove the hot roaster drum, even wearing pot holders.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »
Which brings up a question for me. Is it safe (for the Behmor) to place a fan in front and have it blowing in full force during the cooling cycle? that's the only option I see because I'm not reaching in to remove the hot roaster drum, even wearing pot holders.
Many people have done that. I have always yanked out the drum using Ove Gloves - pot holders aren't sufficient.

SJM

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
I have always yanked out the drum using Ove Gloves - pot holders aren't sufficient.

Yeah, nothing is gonna burn you with the Ove gloves on!!

Pull the drum. 
Dump the beans in a colander on top of a fan.
They'll be cool in a minute.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »
I was using the term pot holders generically. I have one Ove Glove and I'll get another. But I should still let the cool cycle finish after I remove the drum, I guess.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »
I was using the term pot holders generically. I have one Ove Glove and I'll get another. But I should still let the cool cycle finish after I remove the drum, I guess.
Yep - press OFF, remove the drum, dump beans into "cooling device" then press Cool to restart the Behmor.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
Putting a fan in front of it should not cause any problems unless you were well into second crack and on the verge of starting a fire to begin with.  if you have over roasted a batch and they are smoking pretty good, fanning them might be just the bit to catch them on fire.   Otherwise a non starbucks style of roasting should not be any problem to use a fan.

As mentioned many folks use various 'fanning' methods already.  The advantage of removing the drum first and then cooling is that if you blow a fan into the unit you are probably going to be blowing chaff all over the place too.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »
Based on Mass.Wine Guy's previous post on roast level preference which is on the dark side perhaps on the rolling 2nd crack stage, wouldn't it create too much smoke and igniting chaff when the door is opened? Fan is definitely not a good option in this scenario or maybe even external cooling. What flavor is there to lose with slow cooling if you like your roast past Vienna? Better to just let Behmor's smoke suppressor do it's job.