Author Topic: Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus  (Read 18604 times)

imager01

Re: Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »
Did a roast today of Ethiopian Natural Harrar from Happy Mug

242 grams
Pre-heat 1:30
Profile P3 A 1#
1st crack at 13:00
Went to P1 at 14:00
1st crack ended at 14:45 (very lively 1st crack)
Stopped at 15:15
Did not toggle drum speed (forgot)
Now according to an article I read on Sweet Marias website "Roasting Dry Processed Coffee" this would fit the parameters of 1:30-2:00 1st crack and 30-45 min stop after 1st crack. i am still experimenting with Ethiopians since they are so hard to roast. We will see in about 4 days how it turned out.   

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2014, 05:52:09 AM »
I'm very interested to hear what you think of the Happy Mug beans. I plan to order from them.

imager01

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2014, 09:26:20 AM »
I'm very interested to hear what you think of the Happy Mug beans.

The 1st batch of these I roasted were unremarkable but then maybe my expectations were too high or I screwed up the roast. I'll let you know on these.

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »
I think i am going to order one of these if they are not sold out on friday. I am lookong forward to receiving it. I just want to be able to go high heat until first crack then dial it back to extend the roast and then experiment from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Charly

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
 I liked my old, now worn out Behmor as a sample roaster and will order the new model when available.
 (minor thread hijack)
 The drum speed thing makes me wonder because I just upgraded the motor for my RK drum and now can adjust my drum turning speed from barely moving to around 68 RPM. The SM article says raising the Behmor drum speed takes the beans closer to an upper heat element and speeds the roast. Raising my drum speed boosts the beans farther up from the grill flame...OTOH the beans get tossed into the hot air more and that air would be hotter than the bean mass, most of the time so....? I've been running full speed and slowing way down just when I need to listen for cracks.
 Anyone ever done experiments with varying drum speed in a grill roaster?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
I remember reading that someone put blocks under the front legs of their Behmor to tilt the beans back towards the elements effectively doing the same thing as speeding up the drum speed.  i haven't done an A B comparison of the drum speeds, but I'm not noticing a big difference in time to first crack with the speed doubled.

Since a grill has the flames at the bottom instead of on the back wall like the Behmor, any deflection away from that would help cool the beans down.

Except that the beans are being heated by the drum material, so I wouldn't think it would matter from which direction the heat is reaching the Behmor drum.  Guessing...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
I put a two inch block under the front oh my behmor allows for a good thirty to forty five second quicker acheivement of first crack in my experience.

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
Better than your previous non plus roasts? And if so how?

imager01

« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
Did a roast on the plus of Elida Estate 7 days ago aiming for city+ just shy of full city and it turned out perfect, the taste is awesome. I was able to get a lively 1st crack toggling between P3 and P5 and then dropping to P1. I am definitely sold on the new board with the flexibility in both the drum speed and temp control.     

silicon

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »
Yakster

How do you make your temperature graph with your behmor  ? , I supposed you have a sophisticated setup...

Thank's

Michel

Tourman

« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »

silicon

« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
Thank's for your answer....
BTW I install the new board in my behmor, it works well but need some adaptation it's like switching from an automatic car to a manual one when you never drive a manual
I check the temperature with a k sond, and there is a big difference with behmor thermometer , no idea where the problem is coming from.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2014, 05:06:48 AM »
Yak pretty much hit it on the head with that statement.   No two machines are going to be the same.  You have to learn what works with YOUR machine and go with it.  Get a ballpark idea where to start and tweak to what your rig wants to play nice with.   We can both install the same way in our machines and his reads 430 and mine reads 424,  it happens, we work with it and learn to say that MY numbers are NOT the law to follow.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2014, 08:24:20 AM »
Yak pretty much hit it on the head with that statement.   No two machines are going to be the same.  You have to learn what works with YOUR machine and go with it.  Get a ballpark idea where to start and tweak to what your rig wants to play nice with.   We can both install the same way in our machines and his reads 430 and mine reads 424,  it happens, we work with it and learn to say that MY numbers are NOT the law to follow.

Aaron

Exactly true for other reasons as well, such as thermistor +/- tolerances, quantity being roasted, and more

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2014, 12:14:24 PM »
And now I am going to have to get a new Behmore.  My old one is on it's last legs and I am thinking it'd probably be better to just order a whole new one and hangar queen this one.  With the abuse it has taken over the years (and a few really good fires) it stood the test of time proudly but it's time to put it out to pasture.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!