Author Topic: Refractometer?  (Read 4167 times)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
Re: Refractometer?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
I could try out the drying method; but just exactly what is it?
Say for instance dry out 10g of brewed coffee and weigh it out after finished?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 10:18:22 AM »
Yeah that's what I don't really understand.

Seems like the tds meter is the best fastest cheapest way to measure tds.

And refractometer to measure brix/plato.

Once you dry out a sample I'm not sure all what evaporated, what didn't,  and what our how you would even measure it.

I'm curious about it but ultimately really do prefer my taste decide for me rather than gold cup standards. I'd probably find brix useful at the estate grading crops but I'm still unsure about usefulness in my kitchen. Still it's interesting.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »
John, don't quote me and I am sure one of our professional chemists will hopefully correct me but Id think that everything left after drying is the 'solid' part of Total Dissolved Solids.  Otherwise I think it'd be classified as VOC  Volatile Organic Coumpound (may evaporate) or otherwise.

Heres the thing, do you give it a good stirring and test it or let it set for half an hour, an hour or 12 hours for some of the suspended solids to settle to the bottom ie the mud?   How does this affect your TDS then?   What are we going to use as a control?

Aaron
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:27:40 PM by Ascholten »
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 09:01:03 AM »
I'm thinking the same thing about dissolved solids vs dehydrated solids but I haven't read the CG threads to see what they are doing.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison