Author Topic: What is this  (Read 1886 times)

Offline sea330

• Standard User
What is this
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
My sister brought this over never seen one before, can anybody id it.

ButtWhiskers

Re: What is this
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »
Looks like a Benjamin and Medwin steam toy.  You can make an espresso-like drink with it.  I have a couple in my collection, they are fun to use when camping to incite envy early in the morning when others hear milk being steamed.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »
Looks like it has a percolater setup inside. Thanks for the info, may need to try it just for S--ts and grins

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »
Don't grind too fine, and leave the stream valve open when heating until you get some going, then open the coffee valve and close the steam valve.  You can get crema if you do it right...

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »
Thank you for your time giving me a heads up on how to operate this thing.

Rich

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
Good luck! Hope you have fun!  :)

jano

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »
It's a bellman cx-25 stovetop coffee maker.  They can steam milk, too :)

Attached manual.  Many vids on youtube how to use them.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
Thank you for the manual.

Rich

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 04:10:03 PM »
If you use the instructions (whether Benjamin & Medwin, Bellman, or Vesubio - they are all essentially the same design), you will wind up with a poor, sour, extraction that occurs over a long period of time.  Trust me, I have a lot of experience with these!  I used these for years before I even started roasting coffee. The keys to getting a decent beverage are:

1) Begin with cold water, I have tried to cheat with hot water out of a kettle and it does not work...
2) Load the basket with a medium or medium-fine grind of coffee.  If it is too fine you will get horrible channeling.  Many people try to put espresso grind in these things and wind up with a lousy extraction - the coffee mass is too large and the pressure too variable to get a good extraction with super fine grinds.  Do not tamp it down, but make sure it is full (or that you use the spacer if it has one for the amount you are using).
3) Open the steam wand, close the coffee valve, and put it on the (medium-high) heat.  It will take about 10 minutes (for a full load) to heat up until the point where you have significant steam being generated (but it is not boiling).  At this point open the coffee valve, then close the steam valve.  The steam pressure will drive the hot water through the coffee at a reasonable clip and effect a fairly decent extraction over about 30-40 seconds.  If you do it the way they suggest, the water is not really hot when pressure begins to force it through the coffee.  You will not enjoy that, believe me!  Others suggest having both valves closed while heating.  The problem with that is that you build up so much pressure that when you open the coffee valve, the coffee mass gets fractured with the sudden release of pressure.   
4) [if steaming milk] Close the coffee valve when you have enough coffee and/or it is extracted to the degree you want.  Wait 30 seconds or so for pressure to rebuild and then steam your milk.  Otherwise just leave the valve open and allow to cool.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »
I've always wanted to steam milk with one of those.

Never wanted the coffee but I would like to try the steamer.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

jano

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:56:50 AM »
I used the stovetop steamer for a couple years together with the mypressi twist.  It worked very well, but was noisy.  I picked up an electric version of the full coffee+steamer unit for only a few bucks locally on CL, and moved the steamer-only stuff from the stovetop version over to the electric.  The electric version worked quieter, but could only steam one cap at a time, needed about a minute or two to recover between steamings.  The stovetop came with a single-hole tip, but the electric had a three-hole tip.  I move the three hole tip over, since it seemed to work much better.

For someone on a budget and or space issues who doesn't want a massive machine or those quirky lever doohickeys, the mypressi twist + bellman make a great combo :)

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:24:55 AM »
Thanks for the info, I am amazed of the wealth of information on this site, I have never run across a situation that a question could't be answered.

Rich