Author Topic: Score!!  (Read 2117 times)

ButtWhiskers

Score!!
« on: April 20, 2015, 11:14:31 AM »
Mypressi Twist, Porlex hand grinder, Snow Peak folding backpack coffee dripper, a couple of filter baskets, and a bunch of Nespresso capsules (ugh!) from ShopGoodwill.com = $28 plus shipping. 

The auction was only listed as for the Mypressi, but the 2 pictures didn't show all the parts - just a hodgepodge of scattered capsules with various coffee equipment pieces thrown in.  I took the gamble because I wanted to try a Mypressi but was too cheap to buy one at retail ($150-$200).   It all arrived this morning- the Mypressi was complete and nearly mint with extra o-rings (well, it is missing the tamper, no big).  The dripper was a bonus not clearly seen in the photos. 

That Mypressi is a lot heavier than I expected, most backpackers I know would recoil at that added weight. 

Score!! Gotta go snag some gas cartridges to see how this thing really works...  ;D  I can probably eBay the dripper for what I paid for the whole lot...  ...and I know a poor soul that uses a Nespresso, so she'll get 60-odd capsules for free.

Attached are the auction photos.  I'll try to take a photo or two when I figure out this toy.

ButtWhiskers

Re: Score!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
There was also a Vietnamese coffee brewer, seen in the upper left of the first pic

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »
Nice haul!

AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
I love snow peak stuff. I think they are the best value for the titanium backpacking stuff.

Get an osprey pack a MSR pocket rocket and you'll be ready for some PCT time.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
That Vietnamese dripper is awesome for Vietnamese iced coffee.

I've got a thread here somewhere..
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Good find BW.

Look forward to your evaluation report.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 03:40:56 PM »
I have a short, shameful, confession to make.   :-[

I can pull much better shots on this Mypressi Twist than I can with my La Pavoni Europiccola.   :-[

It took a couple days to get some gas cartridges (NO2 whipped cream style) because all the local hippie kids buy them up and get high on them while listening to Primus or something.  I ordered some cartridges online that are supposed to arrive on Friday, but I was able to score a box at Bed Bath and Beyond today.  While driving by I had the thought that they might carry them and I was in luck (they keep them at the customer service counter to keep the miscreants from stealing them and getting happy).  I heated up the metal ring in the electric kettle while I ground some FC+ Aramo to 8.6 on my Major, which was the setting I had found was working best on the Europiccola for my latest blend.  The FC+ roast was part of my profile evaluation roasts and was about a week old, but I figured it would do for a quick test.  I refilled the water reservoir of the Twist with freshly boiled water, dropped the tamped portafilter basket into the preheated ring (ironically, my La Spaz tamper fits pretty good, only about a mm too small), attached the reservoir, and pulled the 'trigger'.  I had the spout attachment off (it seems to work best as a device to balance the handle) so the shot was 'naked'.  The first shot took 31 seconds, but I certainly tamped harder than 30#, so that will be one of the consistency points to dial in.  Half-crema in a Bodum insulated shot glass!  w00t!!  Beautiful pull.  Tasted great, maybe a tad on the sour side, but for a straight DP Yirg it was certainly a sellable shot.  Holy crap - I can't get that kind of crema out of my Pavoni except on a fluke...  Back to pull some more, maybe I can snap a pic or two, as well...

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »
Here's the setup and the second shot.  26 seconds...  I had the camera sitting on the counter and was just hitting the shutter button while I was 'pulling' the shot.  This thing is pretty remarkable, gotta say, if an idiot like me can pull these shots without any real effort or dialing in.  I'm guessing that I'll get this critter figured out a lot better in short order, and could be getting better pulls than I was on the La Spaz, too...

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »
because all the local hippie kids buy them up and get high on them while listening to Primus or something.

Johnny was a race car driver? It's still good.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »
because all the local hippie kids buy them up and get high on them while listening to Primus or something.

Johnny was a race car driver? It's still good.
Primus still sucks.  ;)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »
That looks like a great shot BW!

I can see you are enjoying your new machine.

Welcome to espresso land.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
I wish I had more hands so I could take pictures, temperature, time, pull the shot, and scratch my whiskers all at the same time.  I'm finding this handheld device very rewarding.  I'm glad my first couple of shots went off like they did, because if they were like shots 3, 4, and 5 I might have become discouraged.  I've got things dialed in much better now, and have pulled shots of a 3:1 Rodomunho/Aramo blend that were consistent and quite gradable, and certainly far better than the guy with the hot-rodded 5-group La Marzocco up the street sells.  [You can have a $25k machine and a $4k grinder, but if you have some 18YO hottie that you hired for her body operating them, and buy your beans mail-order from someone that doesn't have to face your customers on a daily basis, you're gonna get what you get  ::) ]  I'll get some pictures of my endeavors when I get the camera back together and have something noteworthy.  There is definitely a sweet spot and technique to using this thing, but it really is more forgiving than many of the more "hands-on" devices such as my little lever.  Bwahahaha...  The temperature is key - adequate warming and a standard order of operations make this achievable.  Keeping all the o-rings in place is recommended, too.  :o