Author Topic: Stone destroyed Vario-W  (Read 1585 times)

Offline cjaldous

• Standard User
Stone destroyed Vario-W
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:03:31 AM »
Hello All,

My Vario-W ate a stone today. It was very small and brown, and obviously very hard.
I think the lower burr is no longer stable, and occasionally locks up with the upper burr, causing the motor transmission to slip and grind.
I know Baratza has a flat repair fee, so I'll be sending it in soon.

What I'm curious about is, how many home roasters here have broken their grinder because a stone slipped past?
I guess I'll need to implement a de-stoning regimen.

Offline cjaldous

• Standard User
Re: Stone destroyed Vario-W
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
Thanks Yakster,

As an update, I just got a reply from Baratza and they say it might be a compromised drive belt or pulley, which they same can be repaired at home.  I'll check out the HB link.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »
I ate a grinder about 6 months ago, hit a stone and horrible noise coming from it, the burr don't spin anymore as soon as any torque is put on it.
It's one of those barrista models I think starbucks sold them at one time?   Ill eventually get around to pulling it apart see if there is something I can do, if not, ill need another mid grade grinder here I guess.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline cjaldous

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Thanks for that. I too was looking at a Forte, now I can be happy with my Vario.

I bought this Vario-W with a broken motor, scale and plastic body and they replaced it all under their $90 flat repair fee.

I'm very pleased with their customer service.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »
What I'm curious about is, how many home roasters here have broken their grinder because a stone slipped past?

I have yet to lose a Mazzer to a stone, but they have definitely wreaked some havoc on the burrs.  Stones killed my first two decent burr grinders.  Actually 3- I killed a Kitcheaid Pro and it's replacement, then a Baratza, and I have pretty much only used commercial grinders since.

It's a real problem with dry-processed Ethiopian coffees.  I bet 2/3 of the stones I have found have come out of DP Ethiopians, and most of the rest out of pulped naturals from Central America.  It seems to be rarer to find them in Brazils and wet-processed coffees for some reason.  I used to have a quart mason jar of "foreign objects" that came out of coffee I handled, but it fell and broke and I was too pissed off to pick through the glass so I just swept it all up and tossed it.  My current collection is much smaller.  Most of the things I've come across were stones or bits of concrete, but there have been beads, beans, corn, various teeth, nails, desiccated spiders, a gecko, and a little bell.  I wish I had kept the human incisor tooth I found, though.  I used to wonder how that wound up in there, if the folks sorting the coffee had gotten into a row or something...  That came out of some Harrar.