Author Topic: Graduating from popcorn popper and looking for advice on what to get  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Kimbalabala

• Standard User
I've been using my popcorn popper for 6+ months now so it has officially gone from a 'flash fad' to a 'habit'. Initially it was taking me about 12 minutes to roast a couple of ounces of coffee and now I'm up to 20 minutes for a medium dark roast. Assuming I have a budget for either a Behmor 1600 or a Gene Cafe, what do you all recommend? Please resist the urge to tell me and/or my husband to build something because we're both too busy - most nights I don't get home until 9 - and some days I start teaching at 8 a.m. - so honestly, there is no time if we are to keep our sanity. My roasting time has provided some 'down time' that I can't be going-going-going - but it's too much time for too little finished product.

I know that there are discussions elsewhere in the forums but some of it is more technical than I can understand and some of it is outdated and ... I'm lazy (please don't lambast me for that!!!)

Thanks in advance.

Offline rcmitchell

• Standard User
  • Where ever I go, there I am
Hi,  I've been using my Behmor every week now for 4 months now.  It is my first roaster and I'm very happy with how easy it is to use and how the finished product tastes.  I started out being very technical, graphs for just about every thing and anything that ooccurs during the roast.  I've graduated to not keeping track of anything now that ive "dialed" in my preferences and have figured out what 1st crack is and how long after do I want to pull the beans to cool.  The machine has a great smoke suppression system as my wife will tell you.  The only thingI don't let the machine do automatically is cool the beans.  I pull them and coolthem down very quicklywith the use of a shop vac, 5 gal bucket and a colander.   That is not to say the machine can't be manually operated for a more customized roast.  All in all I would highly recommend the Behmor.  Easy to use and clean and not hard on the pocket book IMHO.   A word of warning though, this is not a set and walk away process, my wife hates small kitchen fires.   😁
Good luck and have fun!

jspain

rcmitchell has given good advice for someone in your described position. I have had two Behmor roasters, several smaller versions of roasters, two Sonofresco roasters and now a commercial 1.5K roaster. For a person in your position rcmichell hit the nail on the head. The new Behmor has a managed roast or a pre set profiles roast. You can be as anal or as lazy ass you want. I would only add that the Behmor does 12 ounces on a 1# setting nicely. One pound is a bit too much IMHO.

Welcome to the rabbit hole and HAVE FUN!!!  :)

Offline Kimbalabala

• Standard User
Thank you both - this is great information. I like the 'look' of the Behmor better as well. My husband's question is ... how long can we expect it to last? Based on roasting only enough coffee for us to have two cups (one each) per day, and then more for special occasions and Christmas gifts. I know that's a bit of a Magic 8 Ball question, but can I expect it to last several years - 5 - 10? Thanks again.  :D

jspain

My first Behmor lasted 5-6 years and I replaced the board once and I sold it. I've had my second Behmor about 4 years and still use it to roast samples. At the rate you are going to use it I believe you'd get 5 plus years with no problem. Keep it clean by removing all chaff after each use. Use simple green after every 5-6 roasts to keep it clean and don't do roast after roast on the same day. It should give you many years of happiness!  :)

Offline Kimbalabala

• Standard User
Ok. Now I'm going to throw you for a loop. My husband says ... what about the Hottop? I know it's a lot more expensive, but would I get that many more years out of it and would the roasting quality be noticeable to me? Am I crazy for even considering it, with the little amount of coffee we drink - or is this the direction I'm headed anyway and I'll just be getting there without first buying a different roaster between now and the inevitable end?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
I just built and am sending you an imaginary SC/TO. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jspain

I have never roasted on a hottop. I know several folks here who have them and speak very highly of them.... Good luck with your decision.

Offline Kimbalabala

• Standard User
LOL Peter! I went to sweetmarias and did some reading and it looks like the HotTop produces a lot of smoke - and we don't have any existing good ventilation so I'm back to the Behmor or Gene. 

Thank you all for your patience and input. I really have fallen down the rabbit hole and this is much better than some other habits I could have picked up.  ;)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
The Behmor produces a decent amount of smoke as well. the batch size has more to do with it than the roaster. I was forbidden to use the Behmor inside..

ButtWhiskers

Re: Graduating from popcorn popper and looking for advice on what to get
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »
Word.

Offline rcmitchell

• Standard User
  • Where ever I go, there I am
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
As Jim pointed out, the Behmor does a very nice 12 oz. roast on the 16 oz. setting.  I have not tried an actual 16 oz. roast based on comments here and on other boards.  As far as smoke, maybe I've been lucky but I truly have not noticed any smoke to speak of.  As for as the HotTop, I'll let those "in the know" pontificate the benefits of this system.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 07:37:43 PM »
Ok. Now I'm going to throw you for a loop. My husband says ... what about the Hottop? I know it's a lot more expensive, but would I get that many more years out of it and would the roasting quality be noticeable to me?

I started with the Behmor and learned a LOT in the first two years. My routine was to roast three coffees each week (12-13 ounces each). It was great to roast my own coffee, but I couldn't match results from Intelligentsia, Klatch, Counter Culture and Batdorf & Bronson.

There were certain coffees that I wasn't excited about (some Ethiopians, Colombia and Costa Rica) - especially based on reading what others were saying about their roasts.  This was about 40% of my total coffees, which was frustrating to me. I am a fanatic about roasting logs and taking notes. I had some coffees where the roast would be great one time, then not so the next time around. Eventually I felt that I could no longer improve my roasts on the Behmor.

I decided to save my $$$, and moved up to the Hottop. I immediately noticed better results on those coffees where my Behmor results were "so-so". There was about a six month learning curve, but most of my knowledge from the Behmor came in handy. I'm now at the three year mark on the Hottop, and I am still loving the results. Not sure if I will ever "need" another roaster, but they continue to improve, and get more expensive.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
+1
Every roaster has its limitations. Some try to limit the options to keep it simple for the user, such as the Behmor.

I am convinced that the SC/To approach is the most cost-effective route for roasting coffee. But it requires a fair amount of DIY / hackery, which did not appeal to me.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

donn

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
I am convinced that the SC/To approach is the most cost-effective route for roasting coffee.

I bet the gas grill can bat in that league.  Maybe depending on cost accounting - if you'd use the grill for other things anyway, can you write it off?  How much does electricity cost, vs. propane, per lb of roasted coffee?  Etc.

I bought a drum via mail order and a rotisserie spit at Sears, something like $120 total;  the grill was a yard sale thing for $20.  I usually roast a pound (finish weight), with usually satisfactory results.   This is of course an outdoors only option.  The rotisserie spit came with a motor, but it's useless.  I turn it by hand.

I've also tried heat gun and steel bowl, in fact may be reduced to that this afternoon if it doesn't stop raining.  I've noticed though that former champions of this once popular method seem to have moved on.  I don't get very good results.