Author Topic: K cup sealer  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
K cup sealer
« on: July 29, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
Looking for a way to seal some k cups without buying a $1000+ piece of equipment.
Thinking of using a mini iron?

Any ideas, or has anyone come across a good way to do this?
~Amy

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: K cup sealer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »
what are you doing?  putting your coffee into them?   why not just use their steel basket thingie and rinse it out after, or slap it out like an espresso puck?

To seal though, how about some was paper and a dab of hot glue from a glue gun, or some gum based that you can get in cooking store?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 08:14:39 PM »
I have a few customers who want the cups premade. I've bought the empty cups and the seals. Have used a hair iron, but it is too small
~Amy

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 06:13:13 AM »
you can use a tile gun, get one with adjustable heat settings on it so you don't melt the things,  heat it up a few seconds and voila.
Aaron

Edit: maybe get an old electric frying pan, turn it upside down over them, since you can't put them in upside down being open and all and the heat transfers to them lid / seal and seals it.  Or just run a dab of elmers glue around the edge push the top on and let it set an hour or so to dry.

Aaron
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:16:05 AM by Ascholten »
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:33:19 AM »
Amy, pardon me for the unsolicited advice...  I know you're wanting to develop a roasting business and (as I would be) are eager for sales.  But ask yourself if this is the market you want to go after, IOW are Keurig users going to appreciate your roasting skills?  Are they serious enough about coffee to warrant yours?  When people find out what I do, or when I'm thinking a new person I've met might be a potential customer, I ask them do you love a good cup of coffee?  If they say yes, I'll ask a follow-up question - do you own a grinder?  If the answer is no, they don't get to buy my coffee.  I figure if they're not serious enough about coffee to own a grinder they're not the kind of customer I want.  Of course, I don't need more customers at this stage of my life, and you might, so this may not apply.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 03:46:26 AM »
Hey Peter. I get what you mean, and agree to an extent.
Unfortunately,  life has taken some serious swings at me and mine and the roasting as a major business venture has to be set aside for now.
Where I live, the primary local purchasers of my coffee are those who like a good, robust coffee ( I'm very rural) . They don't care about bloom, brightness, or other nuances (I have a few who aren't and am developing a small base for that, but those in this area are roasting for themselves already), so they are happy with most anything that isn't off the WM shelf.
They are willing to pay more for fresher, better tasting coffee but they won't pay premium pricing for what they deem the "kitschy" or "hipster stuff".
Most want whole bean, but I have two who want k cups for work and they don't want to have to prep it at work, nor do they want to make pods at home, so they are willing to pay extra for me to provide small amounts weekly.
~Amy

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 06:10:50 AM »
Ahh,  the TRUE hipster.  I want champagne but want you to charge me only beer prices for it.  Oh and do you have free wifi to go with that coffee too?

They make tape for painting.  I want to say it is blue or green colored?  It's called bullfrog?  Anyways, it sticks to walls but sticks lightly so when you peel it off you don't peel off the paint with it.  Maybe put a piece of that across the thing and cut it circular around the cup.  The top of the gayKup is not really part of the process anyways so it shouldn't be a problem.  Or goto a thrift store and get those sticky labels that you'd pin on your shirt Hi IM BOB.  that are circular shape, just peel and stick.  A piece of masking tape works at this point too.

aaron