Author Topic: Gene Cafe Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 28240 times)

BozemanEric

Re: Gene Cafe Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »
My new gene does not run as hot as the old one did, at least before it died. Out of the box, and at the same voltage, I am having a hard time hitting the temps I want as fast as I want. I am running almost all roast at full power which I rarely did with my older Gene. 

BoldJava

« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »
Last night I disassembled the chaff filter and soaked overnight in a bucket of 6t of Cafiza and water.  Cleaned up very easily.

I empty the chaff filter after each roast but I was overdue for a thorough cleaning.  Thought it might help with the airflow but it really wasn't that dirty.  5 minutes and it is reassembled.

BoldJava

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »
Yo, Gene folk.  Batch Coffee changed positions and now offers parts without having to ship in the roaster for their replacement.

Just grabbed a heater for when, not if, the next heater blows.

http://www.batchcoffee.com/collections/genecaferoasterparts

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
  • Coffee tastes & Taste in the mug
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »
Pre-heat Gene and let rumble around at 350* till unit is warm.  Then hold button down till E stop occurs.

Dump beans in and turn to:
471* for low grown
474* for Brazils, Sumatrans
476* for high growns:  CAmer, African, Yemens

Run at those temps.  At 1:00 after first crack, turn down 3-4.* Then, play with profiles, ending 2:30, 2:45 and 3:00 minutes past the start of 1st crack.  See which works better for which bean.

You are putting too much energy into the bean with 482.* Tom at SM's suggests 482* throughout the entire roast.  I couldn't disagree more.  Nuances will be driven out of the bean, or so my experience tells me.  Experiment and see how it works for you.

B|Java

B|Java, still use the same profiles?
Roaster: Quest M3/Bullet R1
Grinder: Two Sage Smart, Two Harios
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

BoldJava

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2014, 05:20:47 AM »
Pre-heat Gene and let rumble around at 350* till unit is warm.  Then hold button down till E stop occurs.

Dump beans in and turn to:
471* for low grown
474* for Brazils, Sumatrans
476* for high growns:  CAmer, African, Yemens

Run at those temps.  At 1:00 after first crack, turn down 3-4.* Then, play with profiles, ending 2:30, 2:45 and 3:00 minutes past the start of 1st crack.  See which works better for which bean.

You are putting too much energy into the bean with 482.* Tom at SM's suggests 482* throughout the entire roast.  I couldn't disagree more.  Nuances will be driven out of the bean, or so my experience tells me.  Experiment and see how it works for you.

B|Java

B|Java, still use the same profiles?

No, those came from my first unit which delivered less heat at the same reported temp than the unit I am using now.

I use these in the new unit (I believe the manufacturer improved the heater at some point):

455* for low grown, Kona/Caribbean
458* for Brazils, Sumatrans
460* for high growns:  CAmer, African, Yemens

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2014, 05:38:29 AM »

B|Java

What about those? Are you still in the same path?
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

BoldJava

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2014, 05:44:56 AM »

B|Java

What about those? Are you still in the same path?

No.  With the improved heater, I generally pull at 2:15 (city plus) after the start of first crack (unless the bean is telling me something else) and tweak my roasts from there.

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2014, 06:47:56 AM »
So you don't reduce the temp at 1:00 after first crack. Am I correct?

Offline Kenny

• Standard User
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2015, 07:25:16 AM »
So I dropped the roasting chamber and the glass broke.  Boo.  I went to batch and it was sold out.  Any other alternatives?

Offline Kenny

• Standard User
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »
Another problem.  My chamber somehow got jammed when it was roasting and now its misaligned and of course can't fit the chamber.  Any idea what to do?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:37:01 AM by Kenny »

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2015, 11:02:41 PM »
Another problem.  My chamber somehow got jammed when it was roasting and now its misaligned and of course can't fit the chamber.  Any idea what to do?

You may disassemble GC and assemble again step by step. It may help.