Author Topic: Gene Cafe Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 28238 times)

BoldJava

Re: Gene Cafe Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2009, 02:56:55 PM »
Would you not start at the same temp for the "drying out stage" ....... 390 degrees.

Don, I had a series of coffees where I started at 390 for drying. They were a vast improvement over my former 476/461 profling.  Last evening I tried a variety of profiles, all trying to sweeten the roast.  I will begin to cup them out this week.  

All of them assume that the LCD temps are consistently reporting a temp way above the actual bean mass.  I am trying to stretch the roast between 350-370 (actual mass), while never letting it flatten out or stall at any point in the roast.  

We are always guessing the temp of the mass.  B|Java
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:01:34 PM by BoldJava »

donfo

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »
BJ....... You'll have to keep us informed as to how they cupped. I am off during the holidays and plan to do some testing as well.

Don

BoldJava

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »
Had an excellent cup of the JBM last evening (72 hrs rest).

City plus as a result of this profile.  120V at the outlet, power off.  Will be working out some Indo as well as high grown profiles around its structure:

374 thru 5 min
469 thru 7 min
380 thru 9 min
465 thru 14:05 (1st crack at 13:35)
452 till pull 16:45 (no second)

Nice flavor development.  Chocolates, balanced, full and rich taste.

I contrast this with the profile below which yielded a cup with less flavor and just a bit of an edge to it.  Not as balanced and didn't offer the richness in the flavors.  City Plus.

470 thru 2 min
374 thru 5 min
469 thru 6:30 min
390 thru 8:00 min
469 thru 13:45 (1st crack at 12:45)
451 thru pull at 16:05, no second

B|Jamaica
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:22:33 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
Gears took a dump about a month ago.  Have another Gene on a loaner from Cheryl. 

Great resources:
^  Gene parts (22 pages of diagrams and parts):  Huge pdf:  http://www.genecafe.co.kr/en/download/ppt/IPB%28English_Version_Rev.01-030606%29.pdf
^  How to troubleshoot gears.  Wish me well (got a "C" in Shop in 8th grade and that was a gift):  http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/gene-cafe-drive-motor-cog

B|10Thumbs

donfo

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2010, 07:08:43 AM »
BJ .... thanks for the link to the site. I'm sure it will come in handy some day. I've been working with some of the profile that you were using and it is "a good thing". I have some Sumatra Mandheling from Chad that I'm trying to get right. This is the profile......

374 for 5 min.
469 for 2 min.
420 for 2 min.
465 thru to 1c + 1 min.
474 to end

I have yanking this at 17:40 give or take a bit. First crack with this is around 13:45, but does not come on very strong or loud. I can't determine when 1c ends. I don't do any cupping but the results in our pour over are fine. We mix this with some Mexican Oaxaca. Was wondering if anyone is having the same results with the Sumatra. I feel that I should be able to pull a bit more sweetness out of this. Will keep trying.

Don

BoldJava

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2010, 07:15:36 AM »
BJ .... thanks for the link to the site. I'm sure it will come in handy some day. I've been working with some of the profile that you were using and it is "a good thing". I have some Sumatra Mandheling from Chad that I'm trying to get right. This is the profile......

...Was wondering if anyone is having the same results with the Sumatra. I feel that I should be able to pull a bit more sweetness out of this. Will keep trying.

Don

Don, I have found that particular Mandehling the cleanest Sumatran I have ever cupped.  Not sure there is more sweetness to be had.  It is like someone swept the forest floor before picking it.  Cllllllllllean cup.

B|Java

donfo

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
BJ.. have you been using a similar profile with your Sumatran? Do you hear a good 1c?

Don

BoldJava

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »
BJ.. have you been using a similar profile with your Sumatran? Do you hear a good 1c?

Don

Very subdued, just a few pops.  Profile similar to the 1st JBM with ever so slightly higher temps.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:57:18 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2010, 01:30:02 PM »
Gears took a dump about a month ago.  Have another Gene on a loaner from Cheryl.  

Great resources:
^  Gene parts (22 pages of diagrams and parts):  Huge pdf:  http://www.genecafe.co.kr/en/download/ppt/IPB%28English_Version_Rev.01-030606%29.pdf
^  How to troubleshoot gears.  Wish me well (got a "C" in Shop in 8th grade and that was a gift):  http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/gene-cafe-drive-motor-cog

B|10Thumbs

Got the buggah down and found the difficulty.  1st pic.  Tiniest gear off the motor shaft has a hairline split (right at my finger nail), clear through it.  It will not stay in place on shaft and continually works itself loose.

2nd pic, 3 gears.  Smallest one is indicated by screwdriver blade.  I will need to call Tim Skales and buy a couple of them.  Part isn't listed on the site.

I should be up and running shortly.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:38:58 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »
Hearing the Cracks...

I am not sure if I read it on CG or S|Ms forum, but a simple 4 x 11 piece of cardboard insulates the tumbler.  As you are approaching 1st crack, put the cardboard in front of the tumbler.  It rests right against the plastic shield.  It deadens the sound of the beans sloshing in the tumbler and with the ear one foot to the south of the chaff filter, you can hear 1st crack.

Try it, it works.

I used the flap from a USPS flat rate box.  Fits perfectly.

B|Java
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:20:37 PM by BoldJava »

Marshall_S

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
Had an excellent cup of the JBM last evening (72 hrs rest).

City plus as a result of this profile.  120V at the outlet, power off.  Will be working out some Indo as well as high grown profiles around its structure:

374 thru 5 min
469 thru 7 min
380 thru 9 min
465 thru 14:05 (1st crack at 13:35)
452 till pull 16:45 (no second)

Nice flavor development.  Chocolates, balanced, full and rich taste.

My Gene Cafe is off and running again (had to replace the heater) and I tried this profile on some Mexico Organic HG Oaxaca and it was really delicious - cinnamon sweet and very rich after only 2 days rest.  Clearly better than any previous roast profiles I have done.

(My go-to default  profile for these beans has been a simple 470 to 1C,  dropped to 460 for the remainder of the roast).

Next, I roasted some Papua New Guinea Kimel A with BJ's profile with only a slight modification of raising the temp to 470 (rather than 465) until I reached 1C.

Again - some great results!  Definitely an improvement over my past roasts- rich, smooth and very fruity.

Many thanks to BioldJava who's clearly on to something here.

BoldJava

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
Big Daddy Gene.

Got this shot via email from James at Coffeeproject.com.  He is on the floor at SCAA.  Larger capacity, external cooling.  Details to follow.

B|Java

thejavaman

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2010, 11:37:27 AM »
Big Daddy Gene.

Got this shot via email from James at Coffeeproject.com.  He is on the floor at SCAA.  Larger capacity, external cooling.  Details to follow.

B|Java

Very interesting.  I'm sure mass production of the machine itself is still in the preliminary stages, but did you get any hints or do you have a guess on the price point?  The external cooling is the selling point for me.  I may have to wait on purchasing that new Hottop I've been thinking about for a while now with this new Gene on the horizon....

cfsheridan

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
Big Daddy Gene.

B|Java

Very interesting.  I'm sure mass production of the machine itself is still in the preliminary stages, but did you get any hints or do you have a guess on the price point?  The external cooling is the selling point for me.  I may have to wait on purchasing that new Hottop I've been thinking about for a while now with this new Gene on the horizon....

Bah.  Get a hottop, you know you want one.

BoldJava

« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »

Very interesting.  I'm sure mass production of the machine itself is still in the preliminary stages, but did you get any hints or do you have a guess on the price point?  The external cooling is the selling point for me.  I may have to wait on purchasing that new Hottop I've been thinking about for a while now with this new Gene on the horizon....

Finishes at just over 1 lb.  Late summer is the projected street date.  But then, sales reps are eternal optimists.

I am looking for my next roaster when the Gene gives up the ghost.  I can handle the heater replacements (3rd one) but at some point she is going to give up the ghost.  Sneaking $10s in the drawer, every now and then.  Trying to nudge CFS to become the NAmerican agent.

Think d-r-u-m.

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/quest-m3-buying-decision-t11763.html