Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73529 times)

BoldJava

Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 06:18:04 PM »
...  I wonder if a filter made from the same stuff rasqual uses on his AP would allow the oil with out the glass??

I am amazed that it took us to page 3 before that was suggested <WSAgrin>

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 06:21:51 PM »
thought he was busting chops.  Whoops, JohnF be in the know.

It goes for any filter media that you are not going to have in constant service.

Things are cool as long as you are flowing through it but when you stop it's not so cool. I have an ice maker filter used to draw brewing water and it's the same routine. When not in use bag it up and stick it in the freezer to keep bacteria down.  ;)

John F

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 04:46:01 AM »
...Once you add in the coffee...your extraction time from the moment that you add in the grounds, until the final bubbles after the vacuum has happened should be no more or less than 4 minutes....

Gary, what ratios of water to coffee are you using?

B|Java

garybt3

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 05:03:38 AM »
Dave I use (more or less) the SCAA guidelines.

8 tbls + 24 oz water = 1/2 cup dry grounds.

Yama is 20 - 22 oz water.

4 tbs = 1/4 cup.

I tend to add in more grounds, instead of less, blame that on the 4 years of living in Germany  :D

BoldJava

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 05:16:43 AM »
Dave I use (more or less) the SCAA guidelines.

8 tbls + 24 oz water = 1/2 cup dry grounds.

Yama is 20 - 22 oz water.

4 tbs = 1/4 cup.

I tend to add in more grounds, instead of less, blame that on the 4 years of living in Germany  :D

I will have to go weigh 1/2 cup of beans.  I have two marriages.  One to the Czarina; the second to my scale when playing with coffee.  It is symptomatic of what we call the Schmidt Syndrome in our neck of the woods.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:57 AM »

I will have to go weigh 1/2 cup of beans.  I have two marriages.  One to the Czarina; the second to my scale when playing with coffee.  It is symptomatic of what we call the Schmidt Syndrome in our neck of the woods.

B|Java

You'll thank me for that someday.

I did a rough calculation for you B|Java, based on my press pot ratio, and for a 22oz pot I would suggest using 34.571428571428562 grams of coffee.  But you should feel free to round it off to 34.6g.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »

B|Java

You'll thank me for that someday.

I did a rough calculation for you B|Java, based on my press pot ratio, and for a 22oz pot I would suggest using 34.571428571428562 grams of coffee.  But you should feel free to round it off to 34.6g.

My Sumatra whole beans weight in at 44 grams for a 1/2 cup.

B|Java

Gatewood

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »
Just got mine tonight. Will have that first cup in the AM. Thanks a million, Dave!
By the way; back in the day, when I had a vacuum pot (cave man days), we stirred the slurry when it got in the upper pot. Seeing that flat oar end on the spoon makes me wonder if it should be stirred. No mention of it. Any ideas along that line?

Gatewood

BoldJava

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »
...The coffee grounds and water are still in contact with each other the entire time. if the total extraction time is only 3 minutes, the result will be a weak brew, if the time goes to 5 minutes, it will be bitter.

Gary

I think this is one of those personal taste issues.  You are grinding finer than pourever with a 4-minute steep.  That would be too much extraction for me.  That is the length of time I use for press pots but the grounds are like boulders then. 

B|Java, still learning.

BoldJava

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »
thought he was busting chops.  Whoops, JohnF be in the know.

It goes for any filter media that you are not going to have in constant service.

Things are cool as long as you are flowing through it but when you stop it's not so cool. I have an ice maker filter used to draw brewing water and it's the same routine. When not in use bag it up and stick it in the freezer to keep bacteria down.  ;)

John F

Just snagged a nice 5.5 " Cory rod on eBay that I bid on before leaving for work this morning.

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:11:05 PM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »
Just got mine tonight. Will have that first cup in the AM. Thanks a million, Dave!
By the way; back in the day, when I had a vacuum pot (cave man days), we stirred the slurry when it got in the upper pot. Seeing that flat oar end on the spoon makes me wonder if it should be stirred. No mention of it. Any ideas along that line?

Gatewood

I stir when first I add my coffee and I stir again just before removing the pot from the heat. Stir in a back and forth motion and not circular. Stirring in a circular motion creates a vortex of grounds that can collect on top of the filter and seriously slow down or stall the brewing process.

jspain

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »
OK you guys you all have me drowling!!! Can't wait for the vac pot to make it to the door step. By that time you will have it all worked out for me and I won't waste a drop! Can't wait!  ;D Jim

BoldJava

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »
OK you guys you all have me drowling!!! Can't wait for the vac pot to make it to the door step. By that time you will have it all worked out for me and I won't waste a drop! Can't wait!  ;D Jim

I potted the Kenya Karakuta in Yolanda this morning.  I came home and Czarina said, "the fruits in that coffee this morning -- I drown it in milk and the fruits still sang out."  I asked her, "blackberry wine?"  She said, "that's it."

It is a great pot for singling out a characteristic and putting it on a pedestal.

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »
More on the filter....

After giving it a boiling water bath and watching it have no effect whatsoever I gave it 5 min. in Oxyclean.

It came out sparkling clean so I gave it a quick 170ish degree clean water bath to flush it and let it air dry. The filter looks good and I feel confident that it's squeaky clean and no need to keep in in water/fridge.

I wasn't digging  on the trapped coffee oils very much and I think oxyclean and air dry is going to be my  procedure to start with.

John F

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 05:40:52 AM »
Remember to clip the spring/filter over the end of the rod that drops down from the brewing portion of the unit.

Last night, I didn't have the filter clipped in well and it kept bobbing.  Talk about a chewy, grounds filled cup.

On the learning path, B|Java