Author Topic: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?  (Read 15040 times)

SJM

Re: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
This all makes me think I should pull the Aroma back off the shelf and use it for all of the boiling that doesn't require temp control so that the Bonavita Temp Control kettle is only used when I need its capabilities....thereby hopefully making it last longer....

Susan

BoldJava

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
..thinking of this kettle..

What brand is that? 

SJM

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »
Not too bad a price for that one.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2013, 01:01:52 PM »
..thinking of this kettle..

What brand is that? 

Sorry about that. I should have posted the link. Yes, that is the Secura.

Two different Models on Amazon that interest me. The only difference I see is that one has the added temp of 194*F, as well as 208* and 174*F.

SW-43
http://www.amazon.com/Secura-Electric-SWB-43G-Stainless-Interior/dp/B005GJSBEC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_12

SW-42
http://www.amazon.com/Secura-Electric-SWB-42G-Stainless-Interior/dp/B005GJT1Q4/ref=pd_sim_k_3

I've always read that Zojirushi are the best when it comes to dispensers, but the Secura models have almost the sames customer ratings, same capacity, same temperature presets, but half the price.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:07:00 PM by headchange4u »

BoldJava

« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »
Got a hold of Sweetmarias and the 13-month Pico is well out of warranty.  They suggested contacting Pino.  I was going to order another Pino but a 3-day no response on Pino's v/m and an email to them suggest that would be a poor decision.

Grabbed this e-kettle (1.2L) off eBay because it's the ugliest one I could find.  In addition,Kamjove has no plastic windows/contacts with the water; all stainless steel. $49 shipped from Queens, NY.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:00:05 AM by BoldJava »

Cammie

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2013, 08:28:55 AM »
If you decide to go for one of the Securas, there are two promotion codes you can choose from....one is for an additional 10% off the kettle (10MOREBF); the other is to purchase this grinder for $25.99, spend at least $49.99 altogether and receive $25 off (CGRINDER):

http://www.amazon.com/Secura-Electric-Coffee-Grinder-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0096742F2/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357402828&sr=1-1&keywords=Secura+Electric+Coffee+and+Spice+Grinder+with+Stainless-Steel+Blades

tyme

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
Buy the Pino and forget the rest.

B|Java

My Pino lasted 13 months.  Heating system quit.  I have a call into tech support to see if we can troubleshoot it but I am doubtful.

Mine did the same thing the day before my family arrived for xmas. It just kept beeping at me. I had a moment of "how do I heat water for coffee?!"....Then remembered the tea kettle. 

I ordered the one in Celsius directly from Pino (actually two since shipping was the same).  I'll also try to get in touch with them/him.

tyme

« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »

My Pino is on the verge of failing also. Temperature readings are eradicate at times and the when setting the unit to a predetermined  setting, say 200*F, it blows past it to a boil and then the temp will drop way past the preset before the heat kicks back on. The ability to hold a temperature has never been as precise on the Pino as some of the other kettles I have owned, but it has never been that bad.

Headchange,  Are you selecting the temp before pressing the on/off button?  Mine would hold the temp within 1 degree C. as long as I wasn't boiling a very small amount. A small amount would shut off at the set temp but then blow past. 
This is at least what the kettle's temp display would show.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2013, 08:56:26 PM »

Headchange,  Are you selecting the temp before pressing the on/off button?  Mine would hold the temp within 1 degree C. as long as I wasn't boiling a very small amount. A small amount would shut off at the set temp but then blow past. 
This is at least what the kettle's temp display would show.

That's my process, but the temps are becoming erratic. For example, it will show the temp at 185 and the next second it will be like 70 and then jump back up into the triple digits the next second. Sometimes it will blow past a pre-set temp to a boil and sometimes it works as it should

Even when it worked perfectly it never held the temperature within 1° C of a pre-set. If I have the temperature set at 200 F it will go up to around 205-207 F and then drop back down around 192-194 F before the heat will come back on.

BoldJava

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2013, 02:50:49 AM »
... If I have the temperature set at 200 F it will go up to around 205-207 F and then drop back down around 192-194 F before the heat will come back on.

Mine had that large drift as well from the get go.  I had mine set at 207 and it didn't hold it there.  It would drift to 198 and then take it to 210.

When I read a ton of reviews at Amazon, there isn't a kettle that gets ringing endorsements.  There seem to be 3 recurring issues, with samplings larger than you would anticipate:
1.  Kettles quit within days/weeks.
2.  Plastic in contact with the water during heating
3.  Off-taste in the water; smell in the kettle

Electric kettles seem to be made to throw away.  For whatever reason, I can picture my grandmother's electric sitting on her counter forever, the kind you had to unplug when you poured.  "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio..."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:55:40 AM by BoldJava »

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2013, 05:40:50 AM »
Don't know anything about this electric kettle.
I currently have a Pino kettle.
Just saw the deal in my email inbox.

http://www.bjs.com/jan1013.product.228412?

BoldJava

« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
Grabbed this e-kettle (1.2L) off eBay because it's the ugliest one I could find.  In addition,Kamjove has no plastic windows/contacts with the water; all stainless steel. $49 shipped from Queens, NY.

1st Impressions:
Czarina says, "It's cute."  Oh my.
1.  Cheap.  Very light grade SS, black food grade enamel.
2.  Ill designed/poorly manufactured.  Kettle rocks in the base. 
3.  40.5 oz to boil from tap, 4:00 min.
4.  Setting on automatic lets it drift to 170* and then back to boil in 1.5 minutes.

I wrote EBay retailer about the rocking.  Bet I never hear anything.  I will keep it -- if I had kids, I wouldn't let them use it for the rocking.

My prediction.  As much as I dislike this out of the gate due to its inability to set firmly, this thing will last indefinitely.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:06:32 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2013, 11:35:40 AM »
The stuff you don't care for lasts forever, and the stuff you really like craps out in no time.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
The stuff you don't care for lasts forever, and the stuff you really like craps out in no time.

Nope.
Not really.
If it craps out in no time your caring stops and its actual worth (lessness) is revealed.

Stuff that lasts earns the caring...