Author Topic: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?  (Read 14799 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »
The electric dispensing pot actually has a very fine point, and it's use is about 80% for pourover in our house, and it works great.

I just pull the pot to the edge of the counter and spin my cone around and/or swivel the pot since it has a built in "lazy susan" type of swivel built in the bottom.  I now prefer it to the stream of a kettle.  Just thought I would mention it.

As for all the typical electric kettles, they continue to get very mixed reviews on Amazon (I have had two of the Brauns completely poop out just after the warranty runs out).  I also have a really old Zojirushi that I gave to a friend, and it is about 9 or 10 years old, and it is still perfect after all this time.  I think it has to do with the cheaper heating elements used in the kettles, vs. the non-stick platter type of heating element on the Japanese pots.

But hey, if you want to pay $40 x 3 over the next 3 years on the kettles, go for it.  ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 11:47:29 AM »

>>>Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I found...>>>

The Braun is $40 shipped, as well, on eBay.

http://xrl.us/PullTheTrigger (Link to cgi.ebay.com)

B|Java

Offline Curtis

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 05:23:10 PM »
My wife bought me the Capresso when they were about $45.00 at SBux.  It has worked great for a long time.  Heating temp:  212+.  Cool down time to 200 degrees:  about 20 seconds.

Curtis

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 09:06:12 AM »
I was at Target this past weekend and I picked up one of the Melitta electric kettles John linked to earlier. Only $24.99. I looked at Bed, Bath, and Beyond as well as a couple of other stores and most of their kettles were in the $50-60 range.

Target had several models of kettle but I opted for the cheapest one just to experiment with. It will boil 1.7L cold, straight from the faucet, filtered tap water in about 4 minutes. Smaller amounts of water heat much quicker (obviously). It pours really nice, with a very thin stream of water. I like it a lot. I've even managed to teach my wife to use the single cup Melitta pour over and the kettle to make her morning cup instead of that rancid instant coffee she normally drinks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:39:00 PM by headchange4u »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 10:07:51 AM »
Thanks for the feedback headchange.  A buddy/customer asked me to find him one, and wanted a $25 price-cap.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 05:16:01 PM »
It pours really nice, with a very thin stream of water. I like it a lot.

It spins on a dime don't it?  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »
... It pours really nice, with a very thin stream of water. I like it a lot. ...

We'll see how well you like it when you get my age...

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 06:18:11 PM »
... It pours really nice, with a very thin stream of water. I like it a lot. ...

B|Java

Blahahahahaha!

That was funny.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »

B|Java

Blahahahahaha!

That was funny.

Funny yeah, if it weren't so true.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline maggie

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 05:58:56 AM »
  Hamilton Beach Cordless - $24.99 at BJ's Club - I have one & it is great

http://www.epinions.com/prices/Hamilton_Beach_Stainless_Steel_Kettle_Electric_Kettle         

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »
I found this writeup on the UtiliTea Electric Kettle today. The this that sets it apart from other kettles I have seen is it's ability to heat water to different temperatures. It only holds a liter of water but other than that it looks like a really nice kettle.

BTW,

My Melitta kettle is still going strong. Between me and my wife, it gets used at least 3-4 times per day.

barko78

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 07:36:15 AM »
I was at Target this past weekend and I picked up one of the Melitta electric kettles John linked to earlier. Only $24.99. I looked at Bed, Bath, and Beyond as well as a couple of other stores and most of their kettles were in the $50-60 range.

Target had several models of kettle but I opted for the cheapest one just to experiment with. It will boil 1.7L cold, straight from the faucet, filtered tap water in about 4 minutes. Smaller amounts of water heat much quicker (obviously). It pours really nice, with a very thin stream of water. I like it a lot. I've even managed to teach my wife to use the single cup Melitta pour over and the kettle to make her morning cup instead of that rancid instant coffee she normally drinks.

I have the same kettle.  I bought it two years ago from Target for about the same price.  So far it works just like when I bought it.  The water will boil for a few secs and then it will shut off.  I'm pleased with it. 
There is a small screen that snaps in on the inside of the spout, if that screen falls out of place to the bottom of the kettle, it WILL NOT shut off during a boil.  Just keep that in mind.  The screen has fallen two times in the last two years on me.  I think it happens whenever I use the kettle as a weapon and beat people with it.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 07:52:41 AM »
I was at Target this past weekend and I picked up one of the Melitta electric kettles John linked to earlier. Only $24.99.

Yeah ... I looked at the reviews at Amazon and there were a lot of bad comments on this one.

The capacity and speed seems really good though ... and 1500 watts ... wow!

:-\
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
Yeah ... I looked at the reviews at Amazon and there were a lot of bad comments on this one.

I don't know what they use it for that they gave it a bad review but it's the bomb for pourover because of the speed and spout design.

The only other kettle I want is the one Kuban111 has....the killer thing in the link below.

I envy this kettle....it would be a lot slower but talk about pouring precision. 8)

http://www.avenue18.ca/TEAPOT/Hario/coffee_series/paypal_pages/5123_kettle.htm
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:29:36 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 04:13:08 PM »
I want to mount a thermometer into my electric kettle. I have some small diameter aluminum tubing, just slightly larger than the stem on thermometers. I figure I can drill a small hole near the top of the kettle just large enough for the tube and epoxy it in place. I could just slide the thermometer into the tube when I want to check the temp. Anybody got a better idea?