Author Topic: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?  (Read 14942 times)

Offline MMW

• Standard User
Re: Recommendations for an Electric Kettle?
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2011, 08:17:37 AM »
Please let us know what you figure out.  The tea drinking crowd and I here at the office have been considering that kettle for our kitchen.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2011, 08:22:51 AM »
Please let us know what you figure out.  The tea drinking crowd and I here at the office have been considering that kettle for our kitchen.

Tell me, is that pinkie thingie a conditioned response, or is it genetically imprinted on all humans predisposed to drink tea?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »

Tell me, is that pinkie thingie a conditioned response, or is it genetically imprinted on all humans predisposed to drink tea?

I don't know...you'd have to ask them.  :P  We're highly hot drink Balkanized around here.  The tea drinkers are on the East end of the building, I'm next to them, and the Folgers set occupies the Western 75% of the building.  The tea crowd and I share the common enemy, but that's about it ;D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

randytsuch

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
I have been using one at work for a few weeks now.

It is not PID controlled, so it does not hold a temp +/- a degree like a PID would.

First it goes to boil, then it starts dropping.  When it gets around 5 deg below the target temp, it reheats again.

So, it is not ideal, but it works for me.  I turn it on, and wait for it to beep, a few mins. later the temp is down to between 205 and 200, and I make my coffee.

My one other issue with the this kettle is the lip on top makes it hard to emtpy all the water out at night, when I want to let it dry out.

Even with these issues, I am glad I have it, at least I know what the water temp is when I make my coffee.  Between this, a CCD and a Virtuoso grinder, my work coffee is pretty good these days.

Randy

BoldJava

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »

It is also a sign of a virile man who knows who he is. 

B|Java

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
I have the newer Pino kettle.

If you just turn it on by using the "on/off" bottom, then it will go straight to 212dgf.

If you want it to go to the desired temp that you have input, you first need to select
either the "+" or "-", select the temp by going up or down using the "-" or "+", then hitting
"on/off" button.  This causes my kettle to ramp up slowly.  It usually plateau's 2 or 3 times
when going to 205dgf for me.  Once at around 180, another at 194 and the final time at the
desired temp ( in my case 205dgf). 

The first time it will run by 205dgf by a few degrees before settling back to the temp you have
input.  It then holds it within a 5-7dgf ban (ie. it will drop to 197dgf before turning on again
and racing back to 207dgf, then turning back off).

Not sure if the older model works the same or not.  But give it a try.

Tex

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »

It is also a sign of a virile man who knows who he is... 

B|Java

...and wants everyone else to know he's got a stiff finger! ::)

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
Thanks Randy and Richtel for your responses (between the typical BS hijack messages).  I did another trial and it works as you guys described.  Setting a temperature before hitting the On/Off switch has the desired results.  I tried it at a 200 setting.  After about 7 minutes it hit 208 then started back down.  it went as low as 194 after 15 minutes (from start) then started to rise again.  Bottom line - it will maintain the set temperature +- about 6 or 7 degrees.  That's good enough for me - guess I'll be keeping it after all.

Thanks again for your help.
Bob Feuker

Tex

« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2011, 08:27:20 PM »
Thanks Randy and Richtel for your responses (between the typical BS hijack messages).  I did another trial and it works as you guys described.  Setting a temperature before hitting the On/Off switch has the desired results.  I tried it at a 200 setting.  After about 7 minutes it hit 208 then started back down.  it went as low as 194 after 15 minutes (from start) then started to rise again.  Bottom line - it will maintain the set temperature +- about 6 or 7 degrees.  That's good enough for me - guess I'll be keeping it after all.

Thanks again for your help.

Typical, as in average? I thought they were extraordinary examples of the hijacking art! ;D

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »
Well my Capresso H2O bit the dust after only 4 months. Tonight I flipped it on to boil water and it started sparking and cracking from under the lid, or so it seemed. I unplugged it, turned the switch to the off position, and plugged it back up to try again. The light on the switch comes on but the kettle will not heat.

I've got my eye on one of the Costco units now.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2011, 07:18:25 AM »
I've had my Saeco kettle for a couple of weeks now and I have to say that I absolutely love it. It's really nice to be able to get up in the morning and set the temp to 200 and then go about getting ready for work, knowing that when I'm ready to make my coffee it will be at the proper temp.

It also does a great job of holding the temp. When the temp drops to 199 the heating element will come on for a few seconds, just long enough for the temp to rise up to 201 or 202, and then shuts off again.

I also decided to check the accuracy of the temp readout on the kettle. I used and cheap kitchen thermometer and my Tenma unit and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the kettle's temp readout was pretty spot on.

The kettle feels like it's built like a tank; very solid construction. And I have to admit the way the kettle lights up and changes color depending on water temp is very cool.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »
Well my Saeco kettle bit the dust on Christmas Day. It will heat to about 150*F and then shut off. It won't come back on for about 5 minutes and then refuses to heat beyond 160 before shutting down again. Bought in April. Costco say they have a 1 year limited warranty. I sent an email to the company. We will see how their customer service fares.

I've decided to go with something else, even if Saeco decides to replace my kettle. I'm looking at one of the Pino units right now. It sad that I've gone through 4 brands of kettles in the past couple of years and none of them have lasted except my first kettle, a cheapo Melitta unit. Unfortunately I sold it after buying a Capresso H20 that eventually failed (the replacement kettle also failed after about 2 weeks. Capresso replaced it a 3rd time and I promptly sold it).

Tex

« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
Best damn kettle made - endless supply of consistent 205°F water. And the bottom jug of the 5-cup Yama tabletop vac pot fits perfectly.

BoldJava

« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »
Buy the Pino and forget the rest.

B|Java

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »
+1 on the Pino.  Mine has worked flawlessly since last summer.  Of course, if you're looking for a "pour over ready" kettle, the recent travelling road show Bonavita is a good choice IMHO.
Bob Feuker