Author Topic: Build a stirring roaster from scratch.  (Read 3011 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Build a stirring roaster from scratch.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:17:26 AM »
Agitation will be key.

Hahaha! "aggressive agitation is the all;)

The thing is drying times are going to start coming into play with the heat uhhm.. (absorption rates) and it's going to snowball into hitting the right windows in the proper time frames I'm no science guy so I have no proper terms here... Getting to first crack "on time" along with a proper drying phase and completing the roast is a balancing act and my gut tells me the TO alone isn't going to work for 1 kilo.

Even with preheat you have to watch out for tipping so you can only do so much that is going to get immediately sucked into the batch......

Of course we are all on guesses.

All we can do is place our bets and wait for the build and testing.  ;D

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 09:39:15 AM »
Agitation will be key.

Hahaha! "aggressive agitation is the all;)

The thing is drying times are going to start coming into play with the heat uhhm.. (absorption rates) and it's going to snowball into hitting the right windows in the proper time frames I'm no science guy so I have no proper terms here... Getting to first crack "on time" along with a proper drying phase and completing the roast is a balancing act and my gut tells me the TO alone isn't going to work for 1 kilo.

Even with preheat you have to watch out for tipping so you can only do so much that is going to get immediately sucked into the batch......

Of course we are all on guesses.

All we can do is place our bets and wait for the build and testing.  ;D

I figure the worst that can happen is I waste a few hours and end up tossing most of it into the trash. Hey, it's not like that's never happened to me before.

I've roasted as much as two pounds in the UFO/CO roaster (12 minutes from a pre-heated start to 30 seconds into SC). The only problem with roasting that quantity is the motor is so weak that the stirring arms were reversing direction so often the beans weren't getting moved about enough. That lead to looking for a more powerful motor, and there it was staring at me from the BBQ we hardly ever use as a rotisserie.

If this thing works the way I'm envisioning it, the stirring arms (4 arms in an X pattern) will need vanes pushing the beans sideways. Once I get it assembled I'm sure it'll need lots of tweaking to get it working the way I want. My target goal is to have less than $100 in it and that everything I do is reproducible by a non-engineer.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »
A fella over at homeroasters.org, Farmroast, came up with this rig.  Pretty snazzy, and beyond what you're thinking about Tex, but it may give you some ideas.

"DreamRoast" 1kg+ Coffee Roaster
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
A fella over at homeroasters.org, Farmroast, came up with this rig.  Pretty snazzy, and beyond what you're thinking about Tex, but it may give you some ideas.
"DreamRoast" 1kg+ Coffee Roaster

Yeah ... definitely beyond my skill and involvement level.

:-\
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »
I noticed that there is a picture of an electric skillet that is set up in the same way that you are trying to accomplish; a hole drilled through the bottom and stirring rods added, driven by a small motor. Says it does 2 lb batches. Go to this link and look about half way down on the page.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
What would you estimate would be the right speed?

a motor setup with a variable speed control (I am hoping the 110v motor I have will work with a dimmer switch

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 05:04:54 PM »
What would you estimate would be the right speed?

a motor setup with a variable speed control (I am hoping the 110v motor I have will work with a dimmer switch

They sell a router controller at Harbor Freight (~$12?) that works good, and can handle more power.