Author Topic: Coffee Cups....  (Read 2338 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Coffee Cups....
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:18:58 PM »
So my coffee cup collection consists of a hodge-podge of different cups procured from various places over the years. Nothing really matches and some have seen their better days. I have been thinking about getting a set of higher quality, matching cups and donating what I have now to Goodwill.

I like big cups of coffee, normally 12-16oz. Most of the nicer coffee cups I have seen are pretty small normally 6-8oz.

The last time I placed an order at Sweet Maria's I picked up a couple of their Espresso Monkey cups, in both the espresso size and cappuccino size. I really like how thick and sturdy these cups are. They seem like they would provide years of use. I also really like the "bowl" shape of the cup.  I only wish they made them in a larger size. I've looked at Illy and they are just to expensive and they are not available in the larger sizes. They do offer a mug in their Illy Logo collection, but I don't see a size listed. Any other brands out there except Illy?

Do you use just grab any old cup out of the cupboard or do you have some nice ones that you use on a regular basis?

Any recommendations on cups? As I said, I would like to have something at least 12oz, preferably 16oz, something that looks decent and is built to last. it would also be nice if they are reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance.

Tex

Re: Coffee Cups....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:37:30 PM »
I like the Bodum double glass shot glasses & cups. They look like they'd break if the wind blew against them, but I've been using them for a year or so and have dropped them many times, yet only broke one - glass & cast iron sinks aren't compatable. Regular shot glasses get too hot, while the insulated double glass keeps the shot hot & the fingers comfy.

barko78

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:43:10 PM »
So my coffee cup collection consists of a hodge-podge of different cups procured from various places over the years. Nothing really matches and some have seen their better days. I have been thinking about getting a set of higher quality, matching cups and donating what I have now to Goodwill.

I like big cups of coffee, normally 12-16oz. Most of the nicer coffee cups I have seen are pretty small normally 6-8oz.

The last time I placed an order at Sweet Maria's I picked up a couple of their Espresso Monkey cups, in both the espresso size and cappuccino size. I really like how thick and sturdy these cups are. They seem like they would provide years of use. I also really like the "bowl" shape of the cup.  I only wish they made them in a larger size. I've looked at Illy and they are just to expensive and they are not available in the larger sizes. They do offer a mug in their Illy Logo collection, but I don't see a size listed. Any other brands out there except Illy?

Do you use just grab any old cup out of the cupboard or do you have some nice ones that you use on a regular basis?

Any recommendations on cups? As I said, I would like to have something at least 12oz, preferably 16oz, something that looks decent and is built to last. it would also be nice if they are reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance.

Talk to J.J. Roaster.  Maybe he can make you one that's the size your looking for. 
I just use standard coffee mugs, but refill often.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:50:17 AM »
I have three types I drink out of regularly.  The double wall Bodum are very nice (cheaper on Amazon last time I looked), Denby Large mugs (not cheap, but they have a nice lip and big handle).  And one I picked up from some throwback farm place North of Indianapolis-- handmade clay with very nice glazing.  I love it...I don't know why but I just do.

Starbucks might have piss poor coffee but give them a once over for mugs.  They typically have some pretty nice stuff. (they even carry the Bodum stuff right now)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 08:45:49 AM »
I use the Bodum double-walled Pavinas for espresso (2oz) and cappuccino (9oz).  As Tex said, they are remarkably durable - but that durability is only for the above-mentioned sizes, some of their larger vessels are horribly fragile...

I usually use large ceramic mugs for coffee, 15-21oz.  I always preheat them by filling with very hot water at least twice in the minutes before adding coffee - big cups work as a considerable heat sink, and I don't want my coffee to be cooled down by the cup.  I usually get them as gifts or find them at thrift stores or yard sales, seems like most folks don't like the really big mugs...

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:00:04 AM »
I have always like the Bodum Double wall cups. They do make a 15oz double wall mug. Still a little pricey. It's good to know that they are more durable than they look.

Starbucks might have piss poor coffee but give them a once over for mugs.  They typically have some pretty nice stuff. (they even carry the Bodum stuff right now)

Starbucks do have some really nice mug but they are just to expensive. I have gotten a couple on clearance at reasonable prices. My wife got a very nice SS travel mug for about $8, regular price $25 :o

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »

Starbucks do have some really nice mug but they are just to expensive. I have gotten a couple on clearance at reasonable prices. My wife got a very nice SS travel mug for about $8, regular price $25 :o

Yup...keep an eye out for those sales though.  I think I paid about $10 for the fired clay mug I use at the office.  I picked up a couple of those double wall shot glasses there for 10 bucks last week.  Cheaper that Amazon  :o.  The handles seem to add a good bit of cost to the bodum and aren't really necessary with the double wall.  Just a thought.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:47:01 PM »
I bought a few of those Nissan Thermos Mugs from sweet marias and have been extremely disappointed by them.   It only took maybe 3 or 4 months tops and they no longer hold the heat.  Same happened with the nissan thermos  i think it was a liter thermos they had,  thing wont hold the heat now.   I also have one of those stanley thermos'  and one of those stanley?? Bolt thermos that get abused severely on the boat and have held up great for years.  I liked the nissan mugs because they could be sealed tight so if they dumped you wouldn't lose or slow dribble your coffee out but if they won't last more than a few months I don't want anymore.

Anyone have any ideas for a sealable coffee cup that isn't the Nissan / Thermos brand?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 05:45:24 AM »
Those green Stanley thermos are terrific. I remember my dad carrying one to work every day. The large size will almost perfectly hold an 8 Cup vac pot or a larger pour over. I have made coffee in the early afternoon and left it sitting in the thermos overnight and when I get up the next morning the coffee is still very warm, borderline hot. Replacement parts are also easy to find

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
thermos brand thermax all SS

I use mine to make instant soup and tea or coffee at lunch, and... well I filled it t 4:15 this morning, used half of it for tea and soup at noon and the water tha is left is still hot enough for a decent cup of hot tea at 6:30 pm

It is perfect for preserving the Saturday morning Cory vac or Chemex pot.....

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
JJ roaster Ill have to try that.  So far, even the nissan brand which correct me if I am wrong, is a subsidiary of thermos, I have been having rotten luck with.    I don't know why but they have only been lasting a few months for me.

Maybe Im overfilling them and when I twist the lid on, its hitting the liquid and the pressure is forcing and busting the vaccuum seal... I don't know, im trying to figure it out,  but so far, the stanley has been the only thermos I have had that hasn't given up the ghost in a few months.  It really gets disappointing when you blow 20 to 30 bucks on a thermos and the thing busts two months later.  If I want a container that lets my coffee get cold an hour later, Ill pay dearly and get a starbucks cup.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

JoshInCA

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »
The key question to ask about a mug or bottle that keeps hot liquids hot and cold liquids cold is,

How do it KNOW? :D

Once that's settled the rest is just details, I believe.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 11:57:57 AM »
Great point Josh!  The ones that let hot coffee get cold might simply be confused.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:17 PM »
Great point Josh!  The ones that let hot coffee get cold might simply be confused.

They are wired wrong... reverse the polarity.....    :-\

Maybe Im overfilling them and when I twist the lid on, its hitting the liquid and the pressure is forcing and busting the vaccuum seal... I don't know, im trying to figure it out,  but so far, the stanley has been the only thermos I have had that hasn't given up the ghost in a few months.  It really gets disappointing when you blow 20 to 30 bucks on a thermos and the thing busts two months later. 

Yeah, if I over fill mine it will pop the lid loose and spill as well as cool.... so I stay about a quarter inch below the narrowest part of the bottle were the seal on the lid seats...  maybe experiment with the nissan bottles before you give up but that thermax part is the key I believe....

If I want a container that lets my coffee get cold an hour later, Ill pay dearly and get a starbucks cup.

Aaron

Nissan???  isn't that the SS stuff Starburst coffee likes to sell??   ;D

I did see a bodum doable wall glass coffee cup at a gathering this weekend... thats cool... I want to do the double wall in clay but the vacuum would be a challenge   :icon_scratch: