Author Topic: Brewers that operate at 195-205 F  (Read 22776 times)

Pyment

Re: Brewers that operate at 195-205 F
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »
Get the Cafejo TE-116 for free! (requires a small $455.00 purchase)
http://www.limboland.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Special-TE116&Category_Code=&Store_Code=CJ

...crazy, just crazy!

no problem... just have to find somebody(s) that are willing to pay $2.25 a pot for 216 pots of Adrenaline Explosion

Hmmm!

That's exactly what the local convenience store wanted me to roast up for them.

I felt so dirty roasting robusta for human consumption.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
Get the Cafejo TE-116 for free! (requires a small $455.00 purchase)
http://www.limboland.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Special-TE116&Category_Code=&Store_Code=CJ

...crazy, just crazy!

no problem... just have to find somebody(s) that are willing to pay $2.25 a pot for 216 pots of Adrenaline Explosion

Hmmm!

That's exactly what the local convenience store wanted me to roast up for them.

Did you break down and sanitize the whole roaster after that?!?!

That would be 13.5 pots a weekend for the fishing season to the charter boats ??

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:17:17 PM by J.Jirehs Roaster »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »

I foisted some Rwandan Robusta Rocket Fuel off on my guinea pigs yesterday.  It really wasn't that bad, for robusta - it has a powerful cinnamon flavor.  The sad thing was that the Robusta airpot ran dry, while there was still some Ndaroini left in that airpot at the end of the morning.

I bet there are quite a few of us that could make bank if we could package those little packets effectively.  I've been approached a couple of times myself...

Pyment

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
Here are the brewers that have been mentioned so far:

Bunn VPR-APS Air Pot Brewer
Cuisinart DCC-1200
Capresso MT 500
Zojurishi EC-BD15
Bunn NHDX

do I add any of these?

will no one else measure their brewer?

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »
My Bunn CW15-APS Airpot brewer brews at 201-203?F.  The problem with this high setting is that I usually get a couple of minutes where water boils over and out the top until the thermostat triggers, but the quality of the output is worth it.

My Bloomfield 8773 Airpot brewer brews at 197-200?F.

Last time I checked my Presto Scandihoovian brewed at over 200, as well.  I haven't used it in a couple of years, though...

I don't have any other 'automatic' brewers anymore - gave away several over the last year.  I find it worth the extra effort to brew manually using Melitta pourovers or a Chemex if I want drip coffee.

Tex

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
My Bunn VPR-APS Air Pot Brewer is in the 198? range from the first to the last. The temp seems to be very stable, but I wish it had an adjustable tstat. The only reason I bought this is the size of the airpots it could accomodate - when you're doing coffee for 100 or so the 12 cup pots are way too small..

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »
Ill try not to ramble too much here and keep the point simple.

I have a faberware pot that I modded and it gets the temp easily.

See the thing is, all the pots work the same way, they boil the water and use the steam pressure if you want to call it that, to gurgle the hot water up the tube and out the spout and into the grounds basket.  Now for most of these pots, the hose that carries that near boiling water, passes right through the water reservoir.  This cools it down significantly, sometimes as much as down to around 150F.

If one can insulate this hose a bit, it will keep the heat much hotter through its trip to the grounds.  The thing is to keep the water in the reservoir from leeching the heat out of the tube.  An air blanket is one of the easier ways to do this.   What I did with my pot is, I took the spout off, and pulled the siphon tube out of the resivoir from where it stuck into the bottom of the pot where the water boiled at.   Some pots it's easy to do, mine it pretty much pushed right in and out.  Other pots it might not work this easy with the tube and you may have to play a bit.  I went to the hardware store... lowes / home depot.  any of them will have it as well.  I got a piece of that clear vinyl tubing they have that was a bit bigger in diameter than the water tube and I pushed it over the water tube.  Now you have water tube / bit of an air pocket / outer vinyl tubing / water reservoir.  I cut the end flush of the vinyl tubing about 1/4 inch up from the inner stick in the bottom of the pot tube and goobered it up really well with silicone sealant, even let it go about half an inch up the OUTER tube, to seal it off.  Careful you don't get it into the inner tube, thats where your water has to flow.  Originally I wanted to just use the silicone to just seal the tube to the bottom of the pot, but that proved a bit difficult with some pots, so opted for sealing the bottom half inch or so of the outer tube instead.  If you can seal it to the bottom of the pot, even better but at this point it is not needed that much anymore.

Reassemble the inner tube into the hole you pulled it out of. Put the spout back on and you are good to go after it has dried. If you got one of those pots where you can't pull the lift tube out of the bottom then just take the spout off and snake the vinyl tubing down over it until it hits the bottom of the pot.  You'll have to get some goop down there to seal it.  Or you can seal about an inch of the top side and since the air can't escape, in theory the water won't be let in as you fill the reservoir and the air pocket is still there.  This still lets the water come in contact with the inner tube a bit and some heat transfer will occur but a lot less than the entire tube being able to radiate the heat.

Now the water is heated to pretty much boiling and ran up the tube, the air surrounding it will get warm, eventually hot, but will act as insulation, along with the vinyl tubing, and retain most the heat the water had, and it should hit your spout at  195 or so.

Not exactly in line with this topic, but I thought it might help out.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Pyment

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2009, 04:46:39 PM »
I modified the original post. If you disagree, by all means take me to task.

Tex

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
Until they're actually in-stock I believe the Newco need to be moved down with the Clarity & Scandinavian.

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2009, 08:28:56 PM »
Good thinking on price levels... we may need one that is "over $200" too?

Perhaps separating the categories of 'available' vs 'unavailable' would also be helpful. Would hate to recommend a brewer that was unavailable to my customers (the para's are fine for this but I'm a category sort of fella)

Finally, I'd make a new category (there I go again!) for the Cuisinart DCC-1200. It can't really get there without some help...running a few pots through it to get up to temp. Not something that most consumers are going to want to mess with.

Otherwise, good work and thank you!
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

milowebailey

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »
I modified the original post. If you disagree, by all means take me to task.
Py

The Cuisinart is under $100  about $80

SusanJoM

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »
I just committed to buy a Krups Moka Brew from a CoffeeGeeker.
It will be my first electric brewer (as in non-espresso maker).
I'll let you know how it performs....

Susan

Tex

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 10:11:52 AM »
The Bunn VPR-APS Air Pot Brewer should be in the >$200 group. The $199 price at Costco.com is sans airpot.  :P

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2009, 12:59:05 PM »
Hey GI Joe you gotta read this article in depth.  This may justify Newco's $140 cost for their unit.

I did, and I'm still not impressed, I got mine for $69 with an $11 airpot and something else and $11 shipping now that's impressive. The question you have to ask yourself is what is it worth to you. If you are comfortable paying $140 for a drip coffee maker then go for it. For me personally at that price point I would invest in some caffiza and a little time on Craigslist for a slightly used pourover Airpot brewer.

Joe
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Tex

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »
I did, and I'm still not impressed, I got mine for $69 with an $11 airpot and something else and $11 shipping now that's impressive. The question you have to ask yourself is what is it worth to you. If you are comfortable paying $140 for a drip coffee maker then go for it. For me personally at that price point I would invest in some caffiza and a little time on Craigslist for a slightly used pourover Airpot brewer.

Joe

OK Joe, But it's not clear to me which is more important to you - price or quality of what's in the cup? For you it seems there's a point at which the quality can be sacrificed. Is that @ $90, $100, $120, or ??

If your Newco was worth ~$90 why isn't it worth ~$150? You could have bought a lot of used pour over airpots for what you paid for the OCS-8, right? Are you objecting to the price increase? It sounds like you really don't think the original $90 was money well spent.