Author Topic: The Carezza compendium  (Read 11457 times)

Tex

Re: The Carezza compendium
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
The group valve is rated at ~1.2 bar. It's a one-way valve and when the shot is being pulled it's completely opened and has no impact on group pressure.

Yeah, I see what you are saying.....I don't know what those guys were looking at.

Now I see why the SPV is the weak link.

So tell me this, what happens when you defeat it as far as potential harm to the boiler. I always pull water from the steam wand upon start up anyway so I am not concerned with that as much as somebody bumping the machine, or playing around with it and pull/no prime when I'm not home. Can you ruin the boiler, run it dry, or cause any damage air locking it?

No harm, no foul! Only the lower priced noob machines have the SPV. The Classic & Baby's don't - their owners are expected to be able to prime a boiler the old fashioned way; open the steam valve, turn the pump on, and when water flows from the wand shut the pump off. To my way of thinking, the SPV is an insult to noobs!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2009, 11:47:41 AM »

Gaggia does make an adjustable OPV for your boiler (shown below). It's a simple bolt in replacement for the OEM water inlet fitting (#36 in the parts drawing). They cost about $40 (+S&H) and they're well worth the effort & expense.

The parts description is funky.

"Gaggia water inlet fitting with adjustable Overpressure valve. Use for Gaggia semiautomatic home espresso machines. Do not attempt to adjust pressure."

:-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »

Gaggia does make an adjustable OPV for your boiler (shown below). It's a simple bolt in replacement for the OEM water inlet fitting (#36 in the parts drawing). They cost about $40 (+S&H) and they're well worth the effort & expense.

"Gaggia water inlet fitting with adjustable Overpressure valve. Use for Gaggia semiautomatic home espresso machines. Do not attempt to adjust pressure."

Yeah and my bolt on hitch says 'do not cut or weld' (just let it bottom out at the bottom of any hill you want to go up) they paid a lawyer a lot of money to write that line :)

Tex

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »

I've laughed at/with Edward over his description too often to count. Something must be getting lost in the translation in his head?  ;D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
So, the Silvia wand would be a better wand for making microfoam?  How hard is it to retrofit the Gaggia wand to the Silvia wand?  Plug and play, or more than that?

In a few days I'll be able to tell you more about the differences in the stock Carezza wand and the Silvia wand mod.

I can tell you now that if you have to open the machine or not it really isn't very hard to put in a Silvia wand. I had to open my machine up as noted a few pages back but either way it's a pretty easy deal. Killing the auto purge valve is proving to be a little trickier but I have more ideas to try soon...

After some initial testing I think this wand is much faster and it's very different...more testing required.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »
In a few days I'll be able to tell you more about the differences in the stock Carezza wand and the Silvia wand mod.

I can tell you now that if you have to open the machine or not it really isn't very hard to put in a Silvia wand. I had to open my machine up as noted a few pages back but either way it's a pretty easy deal. Killing the auto purge valve is proving to be a little trickier but I have more ideas to try soon...

After some initial testing I think this wand is much faster and it's very different...more testing required.

Congratulations on your new acquisition John.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »
So, the Silvia wand would be a better wand for making microfoam?  How hard is it to retrofit the Gaggia wand to the Silvia wand?  Plug and play, or more than that?

Let me know when you figure you've gotten the most from that mod; I have a goodie that's the next logical step for that mod - a 3-hole tip for the Silvia wand - that I can loan you for evaluation.

BTW - don't judge the Gaggia's steaming until you've done something with the self-priming-valve. It's been known to steal all of a Gaggia's already limited steam capacity.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
BTW - don't judge the Gaggia's steaming until you've done something with the self-priming-valve. It's been known to steal all of a Gaggia's already limited steam capacity.

I had more than enough steam with the stock wand and the Silvia wand seems to deliver more focused steam/faster response so capacity is not a problem.

But this SPV thing is a problem. I tried to cap off the line and it only caused pressure to develop at the barb fitting and leak up top. I could not find anything at Lowes that would thread in to plug it off because the best fit was 5/16 X24 tpi but all they stocked was 18  tpi  :-\

I am thinking of filling up the hole in the barb fitting with JB weld and reinstalling it.

For now I had to make a temporary solution because I cut the silicone return hose, now it's too short to get back into the tank. So I took some 1/4" tube and extended this line way outside of the machine. What is interesting is seeing what happens with this valve. The big problem is during steaming...this thing pretty much bleeds steam directly into the water tank for as long as steam is activated.  >:( The tube gets HOT and there is no doubt that it's heating the fill water (just as you said). If somebody doesn't want to do this mod they really should get that return tube out of the water however they can figure to do it.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2009, 04:39:40 AM »
But this SPV thing is a problem. I tried to cap off the line and it only caused pressure to develop at the barb fitting and leak up top. I could not find anything at Lowes that would thread in to plug it off because the best fit was 5/16 X24 tpi but all they stocked was 18  tpi  :-\

If you're ever in the area I just received 10 of the 1/16-27 brass plugs from McMaster & Carr. They cost all of 47¢, so I figure I can donate one to the cause.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2009, 08:12:13 AM »
If you're ever in the area...

Do you know how hard it is to pry a Sugar Lander "out of town"?  ;D

I may have to pack a bag and head over.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2009, 08:30:05 AM »

Are you far from Robert John?

lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »

Whatsamatta, won't they let you leave the pea-farm yet? How much longer before you're eligible for parole?  ;)

Insiders joke - When I was a kid Sugarland was only known for two things; Imperial Sugar Mill & TDC's prison farm.

Tex

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »

Too close for my comfort!  :D

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2009, 08:34:10 AM »

Too close for my comfort!  :D

Well ... if he has to pack a bag to come over that would indicate some hours will be passing.

lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »

Tell ya what - I'll be over that way (Half Price Books on Hwy 6) this Thursday. I can either meet ya at the store or drop by your place if it's not too far from there?