Author Topic: The Carezza compendium  (Read 11461 times)

Tex

Re: The Carezza compendium
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
Sigh...

All of our Kung Fu is not as good as some of the other of us is.  :P

True, true.

It's always tiring to hear the 40 (or whatever) is better than 9 comments, you and I have discussed it loads of times but I never hesitate to throw a "sigh" out there whenever the flavor of the day caliber is thrown against the 9.

I actually prefer my M1911 Colt Gold Cup 45 ACP for shear stopping power and accuracy (a heavy subsonic bullet has a LOT of destructive energy). Last time I had it on the machine mount at the range it's still holding a 4" group at 50 yards. It's kind of difficult to carry though, the match sights get caught on things that I'd prefer it didn't.

The 40 is a good alternative, but has less kinetic energy than the 45 ACP, but more than the 9mm (using standard ball ammo). Whichever you use, put one in the X ring and it'll stop anyone.

I wonder if I can PID my Glock?  Hmm...

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »
Sigh...

True, true.

It's always tiring to hear the 40 (or whatever) is better than 9 comments, you and I have discussed it loads of times but I never hesitate to throw a "sigh" out there whenever the flavor of the day caliber is thrown against the 9.

I actually prefer my M1911 Colt Gold Cup 45 ACP for shear stopping power and accuracy (a heavy subsonic bullet has a LOT of destructive energy). Last time I had it on the machine mount at the range it's still holding a 4" group at 50 yards. It's kind of difficult to carry though, the match sights get caught on things that I'd prefer it didn't.

The 40 is a good alternative, but has less kinetic energy than the 45 ACP, but more than the 9mm (using standard ball ammo). Whichever you use, put one in the X ring and it'll stop anyone.

My comments will always go back to who, what, when, where, why and how.

And before we get into a long drawn out debate I'll state my experience in this matter - I've got a lot, operating at the pointiest of pointy, as one of the pointiest of pointy guys, in the pointiest of pointy situations. Over a million rounds down range. I don't think there is a caliber or wpn system I haven't fired, with the exception of the more recent calibers like the new 6mm for the PDW or what have you.

I've said it for years, if you throw a rock and hit someone in the eye it'll do the job, a 9mm rock does the job very well. 9mm has stopping power - 2 x head and 1 x COM.

1911 is a good wpn in the right hands. But for what purpose? If it's to shoot match sights at long distance there's better wpns, if it's because it holds a tight group at 50 who realistically ever shoots more than 30 feet on average and for that matter what experienced high-stress shooter uses the sights, if it's for the destructive power there's more destructive, if it's for reliability there's equally as reliable, if it's because of an affinity to less than 10rds on-board uhmmmm, oh yeah that's not a good thing. The 1911 will do a job, but what's the job, right?

So yeah, what's the job, each one can have a different solution... Bedside wpn for night intruder? Underground parking lot at midnight? Concealed at a function? Backup to a primary? Interoperability with other wpns? 1000 meters? Etc, etc.

I ain't trying to argue but I have a hard time holding my tongue on any advice that falls into the bigger is better statements.

Tex

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
Sigh...

True, true.

My comments will always go back to who, what, when, where, why and how.

And before we get into a long drawn out debate I'll state my experience in this matter - I've got a lot, operating at the pointiest of pointy, as one of the pointiest of pointy guys, in the pointiest of pointy situations. Over a million rounds down range. I don't think there is a caliber or wpn system I haven't fired, with the exception of the more recent calibers like the new 6mm for the PDW or what have you.

I've said it for years, if you throw a rock and hit someone in the eye it'll do the job, a 9mm rock does the job very well. 9mm has stopping power - 2 x head and 1 x COM.

1911 is a good wpn in the right hands. But for what purpose? If it's to shoot match sights at long distance there's better wpns, if it's because it holds a tight group at 50 who realistically ever shoots more than 30 feet on average and for that matter what experienced high-stress shooter uses the sights, if it's for the destructive power there's more destructive, if it's for reliability there's equally as reliable, if it's because of an affinity to less than 10rds on-board uhmmmm, oh yeah that's not a good thing. The 1911 will do a job, but what's the job, right?

So yeah, what's the job, each one can have a different solution... Bedside wpn for night intruder? Underground parking lot at midnight? Concealed at a function? Backup to a primary? Interoperability with other wpns? 1000 meters? Etc, etc.

I ain't trying to argue but I have a hard time holding my tongue on any advice that falls into the bigger is better statements.

I couldn't even guess at how many rounds I've put down range: 3 ½ years on the USASETAF, USAEUR, & All-Army pistol teams, shooting NMC's 3 - 5 times a days, pretty much year round, except for travel days. Twenty years after that shooting competitively whenever my schedule would permit it until tendinitis forced my retirement.

Yeah, we could probably swap some war stories about our preferred weapons. For home defense I've got two short-barreled Remington pumps and my M1911 45 ACP hardball & wad cutter guns. Everywhere else, I like the accurized Glock 40 cal for it's feel and accuracy & if I need more than 9 rounds  I stepped into some real shit.

It really doesn't matter what you use, if you know how to use it you'll have an edge. When I was a young man I could throw a baseball hard enough and accurately enough that it could've been considered a lethal weapon. Put 'em where ya want 'em and you'll win.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2009, 05:07:13 PM »
Well it's always good to know the other guys experience and in this case it sounds like you've got a few t-shirts. Yup, baseball in the eye will do it.

Shooting my P226 in Delta's killing room and on the outdoor ranges for the better part of a day next to their operators who were using the 1911 made for some good-natured mockery... when they were calling out "empty magazine" every three seconds. ;-)

Tex

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »
Well it's always good to know the other guys experience and in this case it sounds like you've got a few t-shirts. Yup, baseball in the eye will do it.

Shooting my P226 in Delta's killing room and on the outdoor ranges for the better part of a day next to their operators who were using the 1911 made for some good-natured mockery... when they were calling out "empty magazine" every three seconds. ;-)

When were you at Bragg?

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »

When were you at Bragg?

In the 90's, I was doing some cross-trg with the boys, observing some of their selection course and doing some VIP protection schtuff with the Secret Service.

Tex

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »

When were you at Bragg?

In the 90's, I was doing some cross-trg with the boys, observing some of their selection course and doing some VIP protection schtuff with the Secret Service.

I spent a few months there in the 60's, training for some insertion & extraction work in Nam. Those guys were crazy but the atmosphere was relaxed. I never did get to eat any snakes though.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »

When were you at Bragg?

I spent a few months there in the 60's, training for some insertion & extraction work in Nam. Those guys were crazy but the atmosphere was relaxed. I never did get to eat any snakes though.

Yeah, that would have been Project Delta in the 60's, a different beast than Delta Team (or CAG as it's known now) which didn't start until the late 70's. When I was there in the 90's it was a good bunch of guys, in my experience all the tier 1 international elite teams have the same feel to them, just different languages and inside jokes. I enjoyed working with them whenever we bumped into each other. I'd have no problems with one of the Delta assaulters watching my six, they are good to go.

Tex

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
First update on steam:

The vid Tex posted prompted me to do a similar test. I was looking for microfoam capabilities not overall steaming power because I know the Carezza has sufficient steam for one drink and everything I test will be based on one drink per session (except temp testing to check lag times between sessions for proper temps).

Placing the o-ring where they want it I plunged the wand into a clear glass of water and got the same thing the vid shows. A constant introduction of big air. Over the years I have wrestled several attempts at managing that air intake from wrapping it in saran wrap to surfing it at the milk level....mixed results.

I moved the o-ring to the position in the second post and re-tested. Upon initial opening of the steam there is a tiny burst of small bubbles followed by.......swirling action with no air introduction.

I am not sure why I never thought to do something as simple as looking directly into a clear glass even though I have steamed several pitchers of water to test swirling patterns. Anyhow it's a significant improvement (towards control) for 10 seconds of your time. Anybody that has this style turbo frother should grab a clear glass with water test both o-ring positions and decide what to do.

Breathing new life into an old thread: John, someone asked me if you used the outer shell of the pannerello after you repositioned the o-ring or left the inner part bare?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »
Breathing new life into an old thread: John, someone asked me if you used the outer shell of the pannerello after you repositioned the o-ring or left the inner part bare?

I repositioned the o-ring and reinstalled the wandelero pannerello..

I think it was the easiest and most productive thing possible to do with that wacky wand. That being said everybody should do the Silvia wand swap but the o-ring trick is a super quick interim measure. 

Edit just to say....I sure did love the tinfoil bamboo.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:58:14 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison