Author Topic: paper bags or plastic?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: paper bags or plastic?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
This is too confusing. What's to stop me from showing up with a large bin of roasted beans and a box of plain paper bags & twist ties? I could claim to be the green roasted coffee seller!

Go for it.

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »
Staling? Light damage? I hadn't even thought of those issues!

I was thinking that 1/2 lb bags of coffee would go quickly enough that customers wouldn't let the coffee get too stale before wanting to order more. I'm going to label them with company name, web site, phone number, bean description, and roast date.
Some of those "1/2#" bags look rather light when holding less than 10oz of French Roast or 12-14oz of Full City.
Kraft paper is fine if you load them up there, but they are nowhere near protective, and the staling clock starts ticking right away.  If you roast the night before, the offgassing will buy you enough prophylaxis so that they will be fine (no noticeable quality loss) for about a week.  Realize that many of the customers are people that will be buying for someone else, so the coffee might not get brewed for weeks, especially when the recipient waits until they finish the coffee that they are currently using because your bag is still unopened.  Most folks have no clue that the clock is ticking, but then again, most wouldn't notice the difference, either. :P

Someone did show me some pretty oblong foil labels that I can use with my inkjet printer.
Foil labels will smear/not dry properly on an inkjet unless they are specially-coated papers, and those cost quite a bit.  You are better off bringing in foil labels to a copy store and having them run on a copier - you don't have to worry about moisture causing them to run, either.  If you have access to a laser printer, that is the best way to go.

DataLabels.com has decent prices on label stock.

Greg, Datalabels.com didn't seem to be a real site. Are you thinking of a different one? I'd like a good source for four to a page labels I can run through my printer...

Thanks
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »
I bought the craft paper w/tin tie bags from Coffee Wholesale USA and have been pleased with them.  

Ditto.

I sold some coffee in an antique shop of all places and grabbed these bags for a quick solution...never had occasion or reason to "upgrade".

The target market would have never asked for one way valves and it was by far the best coffee they ever had anyway. If I was going to do a full time gig that would be different.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:19:56 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »

Greg, Datalabels.com didn't seem to be a real site. Are you thinking of a different one? I'd like a good source for four to a page labels I can run through my printer...

Thanks

That is because I am a moron and left out the hyphen...  it is www.data-labels.com