Author Topic: Pourover Kettle Thread  (Read 29282 times)

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Pourover Kettle Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
While you guys were posting I made a major modification to my post explaining why a big base/narrow tip is needed for an ultra controlled pour. I'd be interested to see if it makes sense. :)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Pourover Kettle Thread
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
While you guys were posting I made a major modification to my post explaining why a big base/narrow tip is needed for an ultra controlled pour. I'd be interested to see if it makes sense. :)

I understand the principal you're describing and think it makes sense, but only if the spout is offering some resistance to the volume coming into the base.  At the flow rates we're pouring at, the water is coming out slowly enough that IMHO having the wider base won't matter.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
Pourover Kettle Thread
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
Before, if the flow was too slow, it would dribble, and to get the dribble to stop it had to flow faster than I'd like.  Now it'll flow slower w/o dribbling.
Yup. The dribbling with both of my pots is why I started reading this thread. I hate dribbling on my desk at school--I use the electric Bonavita there. I was going to change up and use a hot plate and the Hario, but that dribbles just as much. Looks like some blacksmithing is needed. :)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »
Having the tip of the Bonavita spout squished does help.  I can get a smaller stream to flow more smoothly.  Before, if the flow was too slow, it would dribble, and to get the dribble to stop it had to flow faster than I'd like.  Now it'll flow slower w/o dribbling.

It confuses me more than explains anything.

I might do another vid if I can think about this for a second..
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
Pourover Kettle Thread
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »
I understand the principal you're describing and think it makes sense, but only if the spout is offering some resistance to the volume coming into the base.  At the flow rates we're pouring at, the water is coming out slowly enough that IMHO having the wider base won't matter.
The narrowing of the neck diameter creates the resistance. The neat thing about friction & resistance is that it doesn't take a big change to have a big result. The only difference in breath control for a vocalist is the narrowing of the throat. For an instrumentalist, the throat, mouth, and the embouchure (mouth opening) are narrower. Even for a big bore horn like a tuba, the elements are the same as for a flute.

RobertL

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
The "S" of the Bonavita is too tight; it should be more stretched out and horizontal.

I agree, this is the first thing I noticed when comparing the roadshow Bonavita to my Paico kettle. See the link below with picture for comparison.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=12695.msg208453#msg208453
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:33:56 AM by RobertL »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
The narrowing of the neck diameter creates the resistance. The neat thing about friction & resistance is that it doesn't take a big change to have a big result. The only difference in breath control for a vocalist is the narrowing of the throat. For an instrumentalist, the throat, mouth, and the embouchure (mouth opening) are narrower. Even for a big bore horn like a tuba, the elements are the same as for a flute.

But I still think the above only applies if you're pouring fast enough for the smaller spout to offer some resistance, and don't think we do.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »

A friend ordered one of these for the rectory. Seems like a bit frou-frou for the pour over faithful, but it looks like it'll work well enough.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
That is a nice looking unit.

You going to put it to good use Robert?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
Will I ramble on more?

Yes...yes I will.

I don't think the wider base spout tapering down can matter much if at all.

kettle pouring
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
Now that was an excellent over-analysis!

;)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »

;)

Over analysis is my middle name. 

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »

;)

Over analysis is my middle name.

Are you going to venture out and take the pliers to your kettle like Peter?

;D
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
Not a chance.

As stated I'm not sure a higher level of control is either possible or needed than what I have now.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »
Not a chance.

As stated I'm not sure a higher level of control is either possible or needed than what I have now.

Yeah, I can see by your pours a very fine level of control.

:)
lp, 7-Ski