Author Topic: Clever Coffee Dripper Makes a Splash  (Read 1576 times)

BoldJava

Clever Coffee Dripper Makes a Splash
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we-can-eat/shopping/a-better-way-to-drip.html

Good publicity for Maria, Tom, and 86th Street.  The writer knows what he is doing:

I tried it, and it works beautifully. The result is a richer flavor than you get with most drippers, but a filtering of all that sediment that happens with a traditional French press...

Cover for heat retention pending.

B|Java
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:46:43 AM by BoldJava »

Gompas

Re: Clever Coffee Dripper Makes a Splash
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:09 AM »
B|Java

I would think the plastic itself was more of an issue for heat retention than the cover/top, no?  
The recent thread(s) about using a continuous pour and someone's comments about the ceramic holding more heat is what has me interested in that Hario ceramic dripper.  I've already noticed a different by using the continuous pour, but I'm hoping that the ceramic will increase the temp stability in my one-cup morning pour-over.

Did you guys ever actually resolve whether continuous pour trumps clever dripping?

Gompa
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:56:01 AM by Gompas »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:25:54 AM »
B|Java

I would think the plastic itself was more of an issue for heat retention than the cover/top, no?  
The recent thread(s) about using a continuous pour and someone's comments about the ceramic holding more heat is what has me interested in that Hario ceramic dripper.  I've already noticed a different by using the continuous pour, but I'm hoping that the ceramic will increase the temp stability in my one-cup morning pour-over.

Ceramic will only assist your temp stability if it is pre-heated first, IMNSHO.  It will act as a heat sink, drawing heat out of your brew if not pre-heated.

Did you guys ever actually resolve whether continuous pour trumps clever dripping?

There was no trumping to be had.  Both cups displayed qualities that were better than the other, and so it was a matter of preference.  The Hario was brighter, with a bit of an edginess, the CCD was fuller and smoother, probably from the longer water/coffee contact time.  The Hario won in aesthetics for those who like that sort of thing, while some only care about the cup.

I've got a design for measuring temps worked out; a lid w/ a grommeted hole in the center that will hold a thermo-probe in the cone.  Pics and results to follow.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Gompas

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:42:22 AM »

Ceramic will only assist your temp stability if it is pre-heated first, IMNSHO.  It will act as a heat sink, drawing heat out of your brew if not pre-heated.

Wouldn't that be accomplished in the same warming pour that I currently use to heat the cup, and flush the paper filter?

I've got a design for measuring temps worked out; a lid w/ a grommeted hole in the center that will hold a thermo-probe in the cone.  Pics and results to follow.

Oh boy....another toy for the coffee shelf !!!! Can't wait.

Gompa

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:46:42 AM »

Wouldn't that be accomplished in the same warming pour that I currently use to heat the cup, and flush the paper filter?

You bet.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:11:26 AM »
Super scientific test results... made a lid out of 1/4" pink insulation, poked my calibrated food thermometer through it, and off we went.

The first cup was my normal pourover method, blooming w/ ~1/3 of the water, reboiling and adding the rest of the water 45sec. later, and steeping for another 2.5min., no stirring, covered the whole time.  The second cup was the same method, but I wanted to repeat it as a control, since now the apparatus was heated.

Cup 1                                                    Cup 2
Bloom;  190, falling to 180               197, falling to 190
Final pour;                  196                                    201
Grounds, after
dripping;                    190                                    194

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:13:01 AM by peter »

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:33:07 PM »
Peter, pink?  Pink?!  You never cease to amaze me.

Ceramic will only assist your temp stability if it is pre-heated first, IMNSHO.  It will act as a heat sink, drawing heat out of your brew if not pre-heated.

Bingo.  I preheat my cup by pouring through the filter and in the process, the ceramic heats nicely.

I am biased, subjective, and will come down 10 out of 10 times for the ceramic.  Love the Hario...scoot over there and snag one on the group buy, if any remain.

Peter's is a nice set up and produces a clean press pot cup.  Both are good systems; it merely comes down to preference.  Mine is the Hario and my #1 will soon be twinned with a #2.

B|Hario

Gompas

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
scoot over there and snag one on the group buy, if any remain.
B|Hario

My order is so high up there on the list that you didn't even see it......:-))))))))))) 
I'm doing my best to be patient until it is a reality and not just an order....

Gompa