Author Topic: ExtractMoJo.  (Read 4017 times)

Tex

Re: ExtractMoJo.
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 01:32:34 PM »
This is like the Scace device I convinced myself I had to get a few months ago - It'll tell me exactly what brew temp I've got dialed into my espresso machines. What it can't tell me is what temp will work best for a particular bean & roast, or individual's palate. For that you still have to tailor the temp to match what you're tasting.

IMO, technology can only get you into the ballpark. From there it's all about individual preferences.

crholliday

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »
In my opinion, a Scace for an individual is also somewhat ludicrous except to tune a machine.

Again, for a company, a Scace is a multi-use tool for tuning machines, tuning blends and recommending parameters based on a repeatable temperature (the scace vs the espresso machines thermo-whatever) to their commercial customers.

Tex

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 02:03:12 PM »
In my opinion, a Scace for an individual is also somewhat ludicrous except to tune a machine.

Again, for a company, a Scace is a multi-use tool for tuning machines, tuning blends and recommending parameters based on a repeatable temperature (the scace vs the espresso machines thermo-whatever) to their commercial customers.

Yep, I figured I was modding enough machines that it'd come in handy. But all it does is guarantee a fixed starting point; from there I make sure to emphasize the need for the user to adjust the temp to their tastes.

I don't believe we disagree Chad, it's just that you're the only person who rightfully points out that most techie tools aren't designed for enthusiast users.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
I dont think water TDS is going to move the refractometer or EM's calculations at all:

Typical tap water is between 100 ppm and 400 ppm.

I'd like to get in the same room with it to further understand what is happening.

I've used TDS meters extensively testing water and I've used refractometers extensively measuring water (with malted barley sugars in it)  ;D but I have not used them in the configuration the Mojo is using them if you are saying waters that have 7 TDS reading or 385 TDS will not change the mojo calculations at all.

I'd like to understand why that is however if that is the case it does reinforce my feelings so far because tap water and ro water do make different tasting cups..... and you are saying the mojo does not read that. That sort of sharpens my point.

And not to keep harping on it but I'm not anti Mojo even as it must look that way, I'm just thinking it's place is petty specific.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:17:52 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

gt

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
I dont think water TDS is going to move the refractometer or EM's calculations at all:

Typical tap water is between 100 ppm and 400 ppm.

I'd like to get in the same room with it to further understand what is happening.

I've used TDS meters extensively testing water and I've used refractometers extensively measuring water (with malted barley sugars in it)  ;D but I have not used them in the configuration the Mojo is using them if you are saying waters that have 7 TDS reading or 385 TDS will not change the mojo calculations at all.

I'd like to understand why that is however if that is the case it does reinforce my feelings so far because tap water and ro water do make different tasting cups..... and you are saying the mojo does not read that. That sort of sharpens my point.

And not to keep harping on it but I'm not anti Mojo even as it must look that way, I'm just thinking it's place is petty specific.

The bottom of this thread explains this.  http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/questions/421833

Offline stevieboy9

• Standard User
Re: ExtractMoJo. (Free itunes App version)
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 10:28:14 AM »
I just downloaded this but my wife has the has the iTouch with her.  I'll try it out when I have a chance.  But, you can't beat the price to try it out!  

linkee:  http://itunes.apple.com/app/mojotogo/id351660247?mt=8#

FYI, Owen Thompson from Sweetmarias gives it a thumbs-up.

Steve, in Fort Worth

(modified post)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:24:41 PM by stevieboy9 »

thejavaman

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
...Tompson...

You forgot the "H"?!?!?

That's an unforgivable, cardinal sin my friend (I'm totally being sarcastic, BTW)   :angel:

MoreForYourCup

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
The only issue I've had with this product is that with the software version I have, you could only install and run it on one computer.  From what Vince Fedele tells me, the newer versions will allow you to install EM software on two computers instead of only one.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:57:45 PM by Joe »

Offline stevieboy9

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »
...Tompson...

You forgot the "H"?!?!?

That's an unforgivable, cardinal sin my friend (I'm totally being sarcastic, BTW)   :angel:

My Bad, D'oh, Mea Culpa!! :-[ ;D

Steve

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 06:17:46 PM »
The bottom of this thread explains this.  http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/questions/421833

Thanks.

This also reinforces my initial thoughts...
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

crholliday

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »

Its an issue of magnitude as you are dealing in 100'ths of a percent and EM is dealing in 10'ths of a percent. So to move the reading 1/10th of a percent, you would have to have a TDS variance of 1000ppm which is irrational for anyone who has ever heard of ExtractMojo.

My ultimate qualification for this is that you start from water you would use to make coffee. Not water from a fire hydrant or your garden hose but the clean, tasty water you are using for making coffee now (on the premise that only true coffee-nerds would be involved with ExtractMojo at this level). From average coffee-nerd water, I think minor variations in water TDS are going to be nullified by things like bean variation, roast anomolies and possibly temperature or dosing variations.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
My ultimate qualification for this is that you start from water you would use to make coffee.

Of course but I think what we are looking at is concentrations so high that the water is insignificant in the extract reading.

I believe that is what you are saying.

If that is the case it tells me all I need to know really and I do see the usefulness of it for standardized extraction rates. It also tells me I really would not need that tool in my personal use because I am dialed into a different frequency altogether. I am not in extract concentrations high enough to negate RO water from Brita water....I can taste the difference. See what I'm saying?

But in a setting where repeatability is important or moving to an exact know point is required I totally see the value in a measuring tool like that. And that may very well be an individuals kitchen. But not mine.  ;)

Edit- After re-reading. I'm not saying I'm a cupper of waters and can pick out one from the other, just that cups taste different by various waters at extraction rate ranges I prefer.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:54:05 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »
Noticed over at Jim Seven's blog that ExtractMojo now has an iPhone app, Mojo To Go.