Author Topic: Grinder Advice  (Read 3354 times)

ajf

Grinder Advice
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:30:43 PM »

Okay, so now I'm coming to you guys for advice. Put an order in for an mdf and now have learned they are backordered until October. I've already waited three months and can stand it no more. As a replacement, I've been looking at the Ascaso mini or Le'Lit.This will be principally for espresso. I'm still somewhat of a novice with my machine (gaggia classic). Any recommendations? LeLit seems back ordered for amonth as well.

aj

thejavaman

Re: Grinder Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:31:39 AM »
I use a Nemox Lux for my dedicated espresso grinder and I love it.  The price can't be beat either.  The Le'Lit PL53 is stepless though and the Nemox isn't - if that's worth another $60 to you.....

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:38:14 AM by thejavaman »

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:59:15 AM »
I use a Nemox Lux for my dedicated espresso grinder and I love it.  The price can't be beat either.  The Le'Lit PL53 is stepless though and the Nemox isn't - if that's worth another $60 to you.....

Kevin, that shows the grinder weighs 4 lbs.  Does that sound accurate to you?

B|Java

thejavaman

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:37:44 AM »

Kevin, that shows the grinder weighs 4 lbs.  Does that sound accurate to you?

B|Java

Yes.  I was quite surprised as well when I first opened the box and found out how small it was.  It's probably 12" tall x 11" long x 8" wide.  It has a pretty small footprint.  The hopper holds about 1/4# of coffee.  The small size was actually beneficial to me because all my other coffee gear already takes up a lot of precious counter space (or so my wife says  :P ).  It's been a great little grinder for me.  The only complaint I have is that the chute tends to need cleaned out pretty often so you don't end up pulling shots with semi-stale coffee from the last session.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:57:34 AM by thejavaman »

Shannon22

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:54:40 AM »
The Le'Lit PL53 is stepless though and the Nemox isn't

By stepless, are you saying it's doserless?

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:20:41 AM »
Stepless means that the grinder is infinitely adjustable; that there aren't a limited series of positions that you're stuck with when trying to fine tune the grind.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

thejavaman

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »
By stepless, are you saying it's doserless?
Stepless means that the grinder is infinitely adjustable; that there aren't a limited series of positions that you're stuck with when trying to fine tune the grind.

Exactly.  I can choke my Carezza with a ".5 - 1" setting on the Nemox though, so having a stepless grinder isn't that big of a deal for me personally.  It would come in handy if you plan on evaluating several different blends and/or machines though.

Shannon22

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »
Makes sense.  Thanks.

ajf

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »

How long have you had the lux? can it be used for press pot, etc. or is it best as a dedicated espresso machine? you also mentioned some clogging issues...is that a big flaw? thanks

thejavaman

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 04:30:13 AM »
How long have you had the lux? can it be used for press pot, etc. or is it best as a dedicated espresso machine? you also mentioned some clogging issues...is that a big flaw? thanks

I've had my Lux for about 2 years now.  I use it for espresso and I have a Solis Maestro for everything else.  The Lux can be used for a variety of grind types (French Press, Drip, etc.).  However, I think it's best suited as a dedicated espresso-only grinder.  Clogging isn't an issue at all - it's just that a small amount of ground coffee tends stay in the chute after grinding and you need to clean it out with a toothpick or cotton swab before pulling another shot so you won't be using pre-ground coffee in your next session.  Overall, it's a very good grinder at a very good price and I can't recommend it enough.

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 04:36:11 AM »
Clogging isn't an issue at all - it's just that a small amount of ground coffee tends stay in the chute after grinding and you need to clean it out with a toothpick or cotton swab before pulling another shot so you won't be using pre-ground coffee in your next session.  Overall, it's a very good grinder at a very good price and I can't recommend it enough.

Shoot residue - for what it is worth, even with my Macap 4 doserless (which I lovvvve), I use a dosing spoon to reach into, sweep, and dislodge the residue that remains after a grind...probably 1 gram that will perch in the shoot's throat unless I perform the ritual.  Takes 3 seconds.  I am so pleased with the Macap that this is a non-issue for me.  My guess is that all doserless have this as an issue, to one degree or another.

B|Java

thejavaman

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 04:44:04 AM »
My guess is that all doserless have this as an issue, to one degree or another.

I agree.  It's really just a small inconvenience and something you get used to doing as part of your routine.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:50:10 AM by thejavaman »

ajf

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 07:17:39 AM »

Thanks for the advice. Had not considered the Lux, but will now. The price surely can't be beat. My beans from milowebailey (brazil fazenda) just arrived and can't wait to roast some up for a couple of shots. yes, this coffee thing is addictive. next stop will have to be a behmor.

aj

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 02:13:38 PM »
For residue in the grinder chute, try a toothbrush - preferably without toothpaste on it.

ajf

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »
okay, one more question. does it matter much that it is not a stepless grinder. I would think you don't have as much latitude to alter your grind.