Author Topic: RK Drum  (Read 54868 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: RK Drum
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »

There is no number on it but it looks like it may be A-1.

Tom

I concur. The only thing that threw me was the one pictured on the website only has one mounting hole and it looks like there are 2 on the RK latch. Maybe 2 hole is an option. There is always the option of drilling another hole......or in B|Java's case, contacting peter. ;p

I will check on pricing.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
I'm also thinking that a self tapping screw might be an option for mounting.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »
A-39 looks like a good choice for the RK...   

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
Dave the best thing is to borrow a Rivet Gun from someone...

Haven't touched a gun since I qualified in '68.  I wonder if that one might work?

B|Java

I haz teh gun, and will use it for beer.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
"Necessity is the mother of any time that drives me to the hardware store..."

The hitch pin continues to challenge me and I am not prepared to futz with a new latch.  Voila, hitch pins come in a variety of sizes.  The one with the larger head is the one I bought today (darker one is original that came with the drum).

Of course, I bought 3, knowing my ways.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:39:45 PM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
A few people have mentioned roaster cleaning and maintenance in various threads. Does an RK system require any regular maintenance? I assume that once a drum is seasoned you don't want to clean it. 

Charly

« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2010, 02:24:04 PM »
A few people have mentioned roaster cleaning and maintenance in various threads. Does an RK system require any regular maintenance? I assume that once a drum is seasoned you don't want to clean it. 

Just check for stuck beans from the last roast before you load up, and clean the chaff ash from the grill.

BoldJava

« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
7 Over:  
I started with a home-built bbq drum roaster and avoided the weather problems by roasting in my shed. Propane has problems expanding properly at less than 20 degrees F so I did not roast when it was that cold but other than that, it worked just fine...

I brought this over from another thread.  Talked with my brother this morning re:  using my RK in these Lake Cheddar bitter winters.  I was trying to learn, as he is a mechanical engineer and designed valves for years - propane and scuba tanks.  He said that flow is impacted by BTUs, ambient temp, and internal vapor pressure.  Internal vapor pressure decreases as ambient temp decreases and it slows the flow of the gas.  As well, vapor pressure is impacted by the amount of propane that is in the tank; that's why you will see folks trying to top it off -- higher volume helps with prop up vapor pressure.

He said with my 46,000 BTU grill with a 20 lb tank, I will begin to experience some flow issues around 30 degrees and struggle around 20 degrees.  I think he was saying that smaller units actually have an easier time than larger units.  Beats the dickens out of me as he was rambling about thermal units and heat transfer or something.

He said I should grab a 40 lb tank.  He did some mental math and said with that size tank and relatively full capacity, I should be able to roast down into single digits.  If you go that route, he said make sure that the tank sits vertically.  Don't tip a tank or have it on its side.

I think I will have Peter over for a discussion and then, in front of him, I will suggest to the Czarina that I really need a 40 lb tank for the grill for better efficiency.  That will cushion the scream.

For what it is worth; your mileage may vary.  I am going to find out this winter if mine does.

B|Java

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:23:22 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
I use a 40 lb tank. I roast down to 15F...
Curly

I love it.  "Hon, Curly uses a 40 lb tank..."

B|Java

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »
we have that problem with the pottery kiln... I bought a yock to bring 2 tanks together into one burner.. that I run unregulated.. I only draw half as much from either tank so I can operate below any ambient temp I care to stand around in... my use the same thing for the bbq roaster (I will regulate that though.. maybe)

BoldJava

« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »
I use a 40 lb tank. I roast down to 15F. That vapor pressure thing is why a gauge won't tell you how much propane is in the tank. It will read the same until it's gone. A spring/weight set up is the only reliable way.
Curly

I told my brother of how I ran out twice during a roast.  He said to weigh a full 20 lb'er and weigh an empty 20 lb'er. Weigh the tank before a roast and get a sense of how much propane is left. If it is approaching "E," hold that tank aside for grilling food where running out isn't so critical.

B|Java

Jeffo

« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:54 PM »
I use a 40 lb tank. I roast down to 15F. That vapor pressure thing is why a gauge won't tell you how much propane is in the tank. It will read the same until it's gone. A spring/weight set up is the only reliable way.
Curly

I told my brother of how I ran out twice during a roast.  He said to weigh a full 20 lb'er and weigh an empty 20 lb'er. Weigh the tank before a roast and get a sense of how much propane is left. If it is approaching "E," hold that tank aside for grilling food where running out isn't so critical.

B|Java

Then you have to buy another tank instead of trading.

Why would a 40 lb tank be a problem?

I never knew about all this stuff and also never had a problem.

Charly

« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
 I use a 20 lb tank and roast outside every day, except when the temp drops to below -20F, when the propane flows too slowly. Rasquel recommends placing the tank in hot water when that happens, says it gives a boost.

Jeffo

« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
I use a 20 lb tank and roast outside every day, except when the temp drops to below -20F, when the propane flows too slowly. Rasquel recommends placing the tank in hot water when that happens, says it gives a boost.

I was waiting for Charly to speak up. He doesn't make excuses for not roasting when it's cold out.

BoldJava

« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2010, 08:08:01 AM »
Long discussion on propane with brother (worked as engineer designing valves for propane).  Recommendations for pending winter:

1)  Get a 40lb tank (Curly suggested).  $80 at Lowe's seems best price.
2)  Find a place that "tops off."  Something about the weight delivers more BTU's -- I didn't follow the discussion.  Bro' gets a bit impatient when I don't track. (Peter has already sourced a close, local shop that tops off by weight).
3)  Use a large bucket, place the tank firmly upright into it, and pour in some hot water when you see the ambient temp is interfering with keep the roast at your temps/profiles.

There were bits and pieces I understood; more that I didn't.  Did learn that a unit is never able to deliver the BTUs for which the grills are advertised.

B|Java