Author Topic: RK Drum  (Read 54864 times)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: RK Drum
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
for pottery we run a burner strait off the tank.. no regulator.. I can freeze a tank on a cloudy August day.. I got a hose that connects two standard tanks to my burner (or a grill) now its hard to freeze the tanks in snow..   my research says there are two issues.. the big tank of liquid cools slower than the little tank.. and more surface area allows for faster liquid to gas conversion.. and you draw half your gas off each tank through the regulator..  I had to get the hose from a LP distributor..

just another option..

BoldJava

« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »
I was asked offline for the Maui Moka (800' elevation) profile that worked. It's a bugger to roast with never an audible crack.  I assume that the low grown cells aren't dense enough to give an audible fracture.  Who knows.

3.66 lbs Moka, #14
Grill is 4 burner, 46K BTU
Grill hot, temp on top register 500 at drop
2 burners on full hot
2 burners on medium

11:00, all burners medium
smoke off drum at 11:30
Pulled at 14:00
Cooled with fan box, room temp in 1:40 minutes
City ++
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:40:57 PM by headchange4u »

she_wolf_ak

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »

BoldJava

« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2011, 02:55:40 AM »
Been using the RK this summer and learning a bit with it.  I have a couple of beans that I have worked consistently, trying different profiles using the grill hood thermometer (sketchy at best, I know).

I have learned that it is much easier to stretch the time between 1st and 2nd without stalls on the RK compared to the Gene.  I regulate the heat before anticipated 1st crack so the roast doesn't take off.  I have tried a variety of temps at which to roast, using the same bean.  The hotter profiles put the tiniest bit of a sharp edge to an otherwise good bean.  The medium profiles (running about 20* cooler throughout) seem to be giving the sweetest, "roundest," profile and it will be one I stick with for awhile. The lowest profile doesn't deliver a satisfactory roast.  I have no idea what those hood temps translate into temp within the bean mass.

^ Still don't have the nerve to tackle an 8 ounce roast. 
^ Have learned that multi-tasking and roasting on the RK is a very bad idea.

BJava
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:00:15 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2011, 05:58:27 AM »

^ Still don't have the nerve to tackle an 8 ounce roast. 

BJava

They are not as bad as you would think. As long as you stay on top of the roast and closely monitor temps they are pretty easy.

^ Have learned that multi-tasking and roasting on the RK is a very bad idea.

Is there a story here?

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
I have a open gap of about 24" by 1.75" at the back of my grill.  Could be problematic this Wisconsin Winter. I had a mechanical engineer consult today (Schotzieheim & Associate, LLC). I got the associate; older gent.  His team suggests a piano hinge or two with a simple aluminum strip or stainless steel strip attached to them that can be clipped open or dropped shut.

Stay tuned for more blueprints and photos as the project develops. 

Anyone using a welding blanket or two for winter insulating properties?  http://bit.ly/9Bg3tG

B|Java

Have you seen the newer section at RK Drums on Sheet Metal and Efficiency Modifications for your grill?

I'm just starting down the RK Drum path. Expecting delivery of a 6# drum combo D-I-Y kit next week. Just received my new 40K BTU BroilMate grill. Great price on Amazon.com with free shipping - $207, and got it in 3 days!
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
Just FYI, but Harbor Freight has 4' x 6' fiberglass welding blanket for $17.99. I'm gonna pick one up to try out.

I've also been thinking about getting an infrared thermometer to measure the drum temp of my RK system. I'm not that familiar with infrared thermometers, but me thinks that getting the actual temp of the drum instead of the ambient air temp might be useful.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:15:56 PM by headchange4u »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
I've also been thinking about getting an infrared thermometer to measure the drum temp of my RK system. I'm not that familiar with infrared thermometers, but me thinks that getting the actual temp of the drum instead of the ambient air temp might be useful.

I've been thinking the same thing. The drum temp cant be too much more than the bean mass, can it? It will at least give you a reference point.
Curly

My thinking exactly...

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »
You'd have to open the grill every time you check the temp.  Or, you could design a little peephole w/ a cover.

The IR thermometers have certainly come down in price over the last year.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
You'd have to open the grill every time you check the temp.  Or, you could design a little peephole w/ a cover.

I was going to go with the peephole idea if the thermometer works out. One of my coworkers has a IR unit he is going to let me borrow. I just picked up a welding blanket and some welding sleeves (I've had a couple of serious burns on my forearm in the past few months) from Harbor Freight and they had a IR thermometer for $30. I'll pick one up if my testing works out. I figure that I can take a reading throughout the roast, but especially around the time of 1C and 2C. I know what temp the beans should be at 1C and 2C and this will give me a reference point.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2011, 12:10:19 PM »
Please keep us updated. I'm really curious to see how it works out as I'm finally getting started on my non-RK RK drum project.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »
Please keep us updated. I'm really curious to see how it works out as I'm finally getting started on my non-RK RK drum project.

me too :D

Tex

« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »

I was going to go with the peephole idea if the thermometer works out. One of my coworkers has a IR unit he is going to let me borrow. I just picked up a welding blanket and some welding sleeves (I've had a couple of serious burns on my forearm in the past few months) from Harbor Freight and they had a IR thermometer for $30. I'll pick one up if my testing works out. I figure that I can take a reading throughout the roast, but especially around the time of 1C and 2C. I know what temp the beans should be at 1C and 2C and this will give me a reference point.

I just use cowhide welding gauntlets - also from HF.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »

how many gauntlets does it take to cover your whole grill during those cold Texas winters?!?!  ;-)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »

These? That's what I got.