Author Topic: Tampers  (Read 7804 times)

BoldJava

Re: Tampers
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 05:59:33 AM »
Certainly candy for the eyes.

If I'm not mistaken B|WoodConverter had his handles redone perhaps by him.

:)

Yes, that would be he. This is my olive wood portafilter, on display on his set-up.

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:02:21 AM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 06:39:54 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... candy for the eye B|OliveWood.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 06:44:40 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... candy for the eye B|OliveWood.

;D

Dave puts a special Danish finish (actually 5-6 coats, I believe) that lends the sheen and permits the portafilter to better stand up to water.

B|Java

Pyment

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 07:36:28 AM »

Is this really true?

Serrated face creates more surface area for the water to pass through the coffee, prevent channeling.

I do like the fact that those are made in the USA... and they have the bling factor

I find that one pretty interesting also. In fact, I like the look of a lot of their tampers. The "Zero Effort Tamper" and the "Heavy Espresso" tamps look good to me.

Here's an idea. You and I buy the Serrated Tamp. One of us gets the flat and the other gets the convex. We use them for a while and then trade.

Of course, that means I would have to get an espresso machine to go with it......

milowebailey

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 07:46:16 AM »

Is this really true?

Serrated face creates more surface area for the water to pass through the coffee, prevent channeling.

I do like the fact that those are made in the USA... and they have the bling factor

I find that one pretty interesting also. In fact, I like the look of a lot of their tampers. The "Zero Effort Tamper" and the "Heavy Espresso" tamps look good to me.

Here's an idea. You and I buy the Serrated Tamp. One of us gets the flat and the other gets the convex. We use them for a while and then trade.

Of course, that means I would have to get an espresso machine to go with it......

ok.... I'm game

edit: I was going to buy one, but shipping is $12 for a $34 item... that ticks me off... I'm going to head down to Visions and see what they have or go to Seattle Coffee Gear and peak at theirs....

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:51:53 AM by milowebailey »

Pyment

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
Still intrigues me. Shipping was less to Wisconsin  ???

If I buy an espresso Machine  ;), I will probably still consider one of theirs. I must admit I also like the CafeLat (formerly Bumper) which lists Visions as a seller. The Royal Tamper and the drop tampers look pretty cool. Let me know what they are like in person.

http://www.cafelat.com/product.php?tid=10

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 09:56:46 AM »
Still intrigues me. Shipping was less to Wisconsin  ???

If I buy an espresso Machine  ;), I will probably still consider one of theirs. I must admit I also like the CafeLat (formerly Bumper) which lists Visions as a seller. The Royal Tamper and the drop tampers look pretty cool. Let me know what they are like in person.

http://www.cafelat.com/product.php?tid=10

"If" (not when) remains the operative word in the Mystery Shopper's vocabulary.

B|Java

Pyment

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »
After I add shipping, the custom tamps are the same or less than the CafeLat tampers.

It is much easier to commit to a tamper than a machine.

milowebailey

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »

That's like having one of these:

without one of these

Tex

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
Flat, convex, serrated, or smooth - all for the same price. No games; they look good and work even better. Leave the fancy stuff to the effete baristas, real men use these!

http://www.coffeecomplements.com/products-page/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:27:02 AM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 10:32:24 AM »

That's like having one of these:

but only having one of these;

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Pyment

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »
Flat, convex, serrated, or smooth - all for the same price. No games; they look good and work even better. Leave the fancy stuff to the effete baristas, real men use these!

and you use....

Tex

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »

and you use....

I have 3 of theirs; 1 flat 58mm, 1 convex 58mm, and 1 convex 49mm. Ridged: I don't quite understand the reasoning for that, since most folks spin the tamper at the end to "polish" the puck?

Plus I have an assortment of more expensive tampers that never get used for one reason or another: too light (wood), too heavy (2lb all stainless monster), poor fit and finish, etc.

Pyment

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
I was thinking the ridged would have to be a good fit for it to produce a consistent finish.

Tex

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
I was thinking the ridged would have to be a good fit for it to produce a consistent finish.

You'll tamp to a level that's below the grouphead. Once water is introduced, the puck swells to fill the void, and those pretty ridges disappear.

I've used the convex & flat tampers on back to back to back to..., and couldn't discern any advantage one had over the other. When the ridged tampers came along I laughed out loud at the prices tamper makers were charging for this improvement.
 :laughing4: