Author Topic: Huky 500 homemade roaster  (Read 1020 times)

juniperjill

Huky 500 homemade roaster
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:46:17 PM »
Can I get people's opinion on this handy homemade roaster?  It looks good for home use.  I am thinking about building one similar to this:

Huky500操作

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Re: Huky 500 homemade roaster
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »
I was very close to buying one of these roasters 6 or so months ago. The roasters are by a gentleman named Kuanho Li. The Huky 500 is a larger / upgraded version of the original Huky 300. It has a larger 500g capacity, a redesigned chaff collection mechanism, modified drum and a welded metal pattern to evenly throw the beans inside the roasting drum. It takes Kuanho 5 days to make the roaster. In late March when I was communicating with him the roasters cost $1020 and shipping was either Express for $145 or Parcel for $108. He requires direct money wire in full before he will start making anything.

Overall I like some of the design better than others. I think it would be fairly easy to replicate the 'chaff collection' mechanism design with copper plumbing pipe. Given you have access to the proper equipment, the sheet metal work would not take a great deal of time either. I think the most time consuming job would be proper drum fabrication. I am not a huge fan of the perforated drum. I am sure the airflow through that drum is not enough to compensate for the beans being in a perforated drum just above the butane heating element. I am not quite sure how I feel about the portable ceramic butane burner as the heating source. I am a huge fan of the pre-roast 500g / 1.1lb capacity!

I think it is a well conceived roaster and Mr. Li definitely looks like a very handy person. For the price of $1165 shipped I think it is one of the best deals on the market with it being able to roast 1.1lbs at a time and it's price-point of $1128-$1165 shipped. If you can make a roaster that compares closely to this I think you would like it quite a bit!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Huky 500 homemade roaster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:32:45 AM »
I would think hard about a bbq drum roaster and if this roaster is still what you want then I would build it for a grill side burner or gas stove top.. I agree with Warrior, a 500g roaster will serve you longer than 300g...

If you are building it for the joy of building it than go for it...  share your pics as you go..

if you are building it to save money and you have a gas grill than look at the group buy for RK drum roasters because I think you will spend as much if not more building this one...