Author Topic: Frothers  (Read 2902 times)

BoldJava

Re: Frothers
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 08:17:34 AM »
>>>
"...255 grams of grounds produces 24 ounces of very strong coffee. So strong that it allows me to only have to use 2 ounces in a 12 ounce cup of milk and the coffee still comes through nicely. Not as nicely as espresso mind you, but the compliments we get on these are strong enough indicators that what we're producing is more than 'good enough' for the latte crowd."
>>>

This should be tucked away as a nugget somewhere.  I know how to find it:  Wurlitzer.

Love search engines.

B|Java

Tex

Re: Frothers
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:44 AM »
Update:
I don't have video yet but I gotta tell you that the Astra Pourover steamer is one fantastic milk steamer. While I'm no expert at stretching / texturing milk yet, this machine will let me steam half-a-gallon of milk in less than 60 seconds and get a crazy amount of thick heavy dense foam on top.

I have absconded with the machine from my roasting plant to my house to use over the Thanksgiving Holiday when we had 24 people over for Turkey and fixin's. In the past, I was stuck at the controls of my Gaggia for hours trying to produce drinks for the unwashed hordes. This year, with the Astra, I was able to make 6 drinks all at the same time and only had to pause to put more froo froo junk in cups (Chocolate and Flavored Syrups).

This was an excellent purchase!

Tex, we're also experimenting with a triple strength french press hot brewed coffee as our espresso substitute for Latte's. 255 grams of grounds produces 24 ounces of very strong coffee. So strong that it allows me to only have to use 2 ounces in a 12 ounce cup of milk and the coffee still comes through nicely. Not as nicely as espresso mind you, but the compliments we get on these are strong enough indicators that what we're producing is more than 'good enough' for the latte crowd.
(don't ever compare me to sbux again! :) )

Video is next...

You just can't beat a huge boiler for steaming large quantities of milk, can you? By taking it home for the holidays, you do realize that you're now the go-to coffee guy for all family get togethers, right? At least you've got the tools for the job now! I'll withhold future Starbuck's comparisons, even when they are applicable. ;D

Looking forward to the videos! 8)

edited: If your steamer has it, the hot water dispenser is a great aid for vac pot brewing. I draw hot water from my boiler into the lower pot & it saves me valuable minutes when preparing coffee this way. It'd probably be just as useful for pour overs & french presses - the water will always be ~210° when it exits the wand.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:12:09 AM by Tex »