Author Topic: High budget or low budget espresso equipment?  (Read 8924 times)

Tex

Re: High budget or low budget espresso equipment?
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
This is not to be argumentative, or even saying it's better or worse.  But how many shots have you watched, and what's the need to watch every one of them?  Just curious.

One reason would be because you do not want blond / bitter espresso in the cup. I just tend to get the steam nozzle where I need it in the milk and really pay more attention to the shot, pulling the demitasse when needed.

+1

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
This is not to be argumentative, or even saying it's better or worse.  But how many shots have you watched, and what's the need to watch every one of them?  Just curious.

One reason would be because you do not want blond / bitter espresso in the cup. I just tend to get the steam nozzle where I need it in the milk and really pay more attention to the shot, pulling the demitasse when needed.

Sorry, I wasn't remembering that many don't work with volumetric dosing.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Gime2much

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »

I use the feature but only to start the shot. It's nice in case something hinders me from manually killing the shot.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »
This is not to be argumentative, or even saying it's better or worse.  But how many shots have you watched, and what's the need to watch every one of them?  Just curious.

I use the feature but only to start the shot. It's nice in case something hinders me from manually killing the shot.

In terms of pulling a shot I want to have as espresso, I do the same, and kill the shot by weight.  But for milk drinks, I have it set for a certain volume and just let it finish on its own while I'm steaming, which I guess goes back to Tex's original point; higher budget machines have some advantages (if that's a drink you're making, and how you want to make it).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:36:54 PM by peter »

Gime2much

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »
 Forgot to mention that I have 1 button programed to dispense the correct amount for a cooling flush (after idle) on my old San Marco H/X. Being commercial, its a real fire breathing dragon.

Tex

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
This is not to be argumentative, or even saying it's better or worse.  But how many shots have you watched, and what's the need to watch every one of them?  Just curious.

In terms of pulling a shot I want to have as espresso, I do the same, and kill the shot by weight. But for milk drinks, I have it set for a certain volume and just let it finish on its own while I'm steaming, which I guess goes back to Tex's original point; higher budget machines have some advantages (if that's a drink you're making, and how you want to make it).

??? You'd use a lesser shot for frou-frou than you would for a straight shot? That confirms what I've long suspected; it's the milk that you like more than the coffee. :P

Tex

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »
Forgot to mention that I have 1 button programed to dispense the correct amount for a cooling flush (after idle) on my old San Marco H/X. Being commercial, its a real fire breathing dragon.

I rely on the water dance and experience. I've measured the temps and can hit the same one every time now.

Gime2much

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »

I rely on the water dance and experience. I've measured the temps and can hit the same one every time now.

Between shots, I do the same but since the SM is on 24/7, the after idle flush is always the same amount so the volumetric dosing feature works fine for me.

CAGurl

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »

I watch them all.
I watch them so that I know when to cut them off.
If you aren't paying attention to the color and texture how do you know when it's "done"?

Susan

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »
Before I pulled the milk shot in the attached video I had already pulled a couple of straight shots and drank them. The first one straight shot needed a tweak (dose) which it got in the second straight shot and the third shot for milk pulled to spec.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
??? You'd use a lesser shot for frou-frou than you would for a straight shot?

Nobody said it's a lesser shot.  For straight espresso I go by weight, watching for an extraction percentage.  For milk drinks I go by volume. 

That confirms what I've long suspected; it's the milk that you like more than the coffee. :P

You can't make that inference from what I wrote, and if you did you'd be wrong.  I told you you were wrong several pages ago; you just refuse to listen.   ;)  Don't poo-poo the frou-frou.

I watch them all.
I watch them so that I know when to cut them off.
If you aren't paying attention to the color and texture how do you know when it's "done"?

Susan

I dunno, maybe I'm just lucky.  You mean that a person can't get a grinder and machine dialed in and just pull successive good shots?

I know that when I upgraded my grinder a couple months ago, it made a huge improvement.  

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:03:47 PM by peter »

milowebailey

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2010, 08:54:04 PM »
From this morning.

Shaun

I noticed two things in this video.

1) looks like you have a new grinder... curious why the change and if you like it?
2) your tamping technique seems kinda ...... light.  I remember you really putting that 30 lbs of pressure before... now it seems you are putting much less.  Either that or you have really strong fingers.  I'm curious if you went with a lighter tamp for a finer grind or if the lever needs less of a tamp.

BTW...  this video shows my point.  You can watch the end of the shot and be steaming the milk.  I'd love to see a video of Tex or CAGurl with their Gaggia technique making a latte.  I'm not saying they can't make a good latte, because I have on a Gaggia... it's just not as easy nor quickly repeatable.

Tex

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2010, 09:11:44 PM »
From this morning.

Shaun

I noticed two things in this video.

1) looks like you have a new grinder... curious why the change and if you like it?
2) your tamping technique seems kinda ...... light.  I remember you really putting that 30 lbs of pressure before... now it seems you are putting much less.  Either that or you have really strong fingers.  I'm curious if you went with a lighter tamp for a finer grind or if the lever needs less of a tamp.

BTW...  this video shows my point.  You can watch the end of the shot and be steaming the milk.  I'd love to see a video of Tex or CAGurl with their Gaggia technique making a latte.  I'm not saying they can't make a good latte, because I have on a Gaggia... it's just not as easy nor quickly repeatable.

Tool! I don't use my Gaggia to make a latte, not because it couldn't do it but because I don't drink lattes in the first place. And when I do have folks over who like frou-frou drinks I'm usually using the Bunn.

Buying an espresso machine for its milk frothing capabilities is like buying a Lamborghini for its stereo. ::)

Too bad you guys don't like the taste of coffee enough to drink it straight. But if that's what you like I can certainly understand the need for those fancy machines. >:D

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2010, 09:14:29 PM »
Too bad you guys don't like the taste of coffee enough to drink it straight. But if that's what you like I can certainly understand the need for those fancy machines. >:D

Spoken like a true lactose-intolerant wannabee.   :-\

Tex

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2010, 09:24:09 PM »

Spoken like a true lactose-intolerant wannabee.   :-\

I do occasionally sneak in a cap when Mrs T's not watching, and with my modded Gaggia (PID'd for steam & brew, Silvia steam wand w/2 hole tip, and a still-secret boiler mod) I can stretch 8 oz of cold milk in ~25 seconds.

I may not be able to pour the best looking frou-frou, but it does taste as good as the caps I had in Italy, and a lot better than I've had in a Houston area coffee shop.

It's all about knowing your machines capabilities, and working within those boundaries.

Enjoy!