Author Topic: Have you mastered the espresso machine variables?  (Read 9367 times)

Pyment

Re: Ya mess with da bull ya gets da Bull-Shirt!
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
The first post or two had me going, then I figured out what was going down. I decided to let it run its course, taking notes the whole while - figuring what's good for the goosed will be even better for the gooser! >:D

I answered your question in a succinct and honest manner. You wanted more? We have seen this same lecture numerous times before so given the title I thought you were starting another version of the famous Jerry Seinfeld episode "Master of your domain" about who among their small group of friends could refrain from masturbation the longest. I lost with the fewest words!  >:D

Of course, in that vein, I need to reply as I first replied; right out of the box.   ;)

Out of the box is fine; in fact I knew lots of guys who used to borrow mama's Chevy Impala and go cruising for chicks. Me, I'd roll out my built-from-scratch Chevy II Grumpy-clone and go racing for pink slips, then go take the boy's chicks away from them. >:D

It's all good! ;D

Amazing how the senile mind works, isn't it?  You can't remember what was for dinner last night, but you can remember stuff from 50 years ago, and embellish it to boot.

Embellish? Texicans don't embellish, ever!

That's why I thought including the word "Bull" in the title of this thread was a good idea.

I added it like you said, but it looks redundant? ;)

let me fix it

Tex

Re: Ya mess with da bull ya gets da horn!
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »
I would like to get back on topic too - sorry to the OP, but with all the helpful tips we have to share it is easy to get sidetracked.  I have taken to printing these posts to put in my scrapbook because they are so helpful and colorful. The scrapbook project would go faster if I could find more goat pictures though, since that is the theme.

Back on topic: How many shots can you pull before changing out the coffee in the portafilter?

Depends on whether one's doing frou-frou or real coffee, doesn't it? If the milk is the featured ingredient I don't see why one would need to change the coffee too often.
Oh, it's real coffee - the French vanilla flavor is starting to fade though so I thought I would add some more next time I clean it. I made sure I set the dial to espresso on the grinder at Safeway so I know I am on track too once I get that scale thing down pat.

Clean it!? And spoil the patina? Don't you watch Antique Roadshow; never clean anything! ::) :icon_puke_l:

EricBNC

Re: Ya mess with da bull ya gets da Bull - shirt!
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
Howdy Folks,
I don't care which espresso machine you have, or how much you paid for it, there are just two machine variables to manage. Get both under control and you're on your way to coffee nirvana. Let just one get away from you and you're in for a sad experience. Refer to the article by Dr. Ernesto Illy for details: http://tinyurl.com/complexity-of-coffee

Variable #1 Group Pressure: Conventional wisdom holds that group pressure should be adjusted to 9 bar. What CW doesn't address is whether this is dynamic (as the fluids are flowing through the puck) or static (with the fluids stalled at the puck - no flow) pressure. FYI: 9 bar dynamic pressure = 10 bar static pressure, and 9 bar = 131 psi.

Arbitrarily I've chosen it to mean 9 bar dynamic group pressure. To manage the pressure requires an adjustable OPV; present in all Classics, some Baby's, and other models. Those Gaggia models without an adjustable OPV can be modded by replacing the OEM water inlet with a Classic adjustable OPV (~$50). Then, with the aid of a portafilter mounted pressure gauge, the group pressure can be properly tuned.

Variable #2 Brew Temperature: Conventional wisdom holds that group temperature should be 196F to 203F. The Gaggia OEM brew tstat has a dead band of ~40F; meaning that at any given time the actual temp can be as much as 20F below or 20F above the optimum brew temps. To correct the problem requires one to temp surf (play with the steam tstat to manipulate the temperature) or mod the machine by adding a PID kit to replace
the brew tstat.

Personally, I've never been able to temp surf worth a damn. That's why I've championed the PID mod for Gaggia's. They're simple to install, kits range in price from $159 - $250, and make it dirt simple to hit a chosen brew temp. This is important, because in addition to the temps CW holds to be best, I've found
that each blend and single origin has its own temp sweet spot. A 1F difference in brew temp can make a huge difference in taste.

So, have you mastered the two machine variables yet?

Tex

Nope, not even close, but I am working on it. 

These are my 1st & 2nd shots from my Gaggia Coffee that arrived today. Why they quit making this unit is beyond me - it is heavy built, looks great, and is easy to operate.  I think the Virtuoso mates up OK if you want OK espresso - these shots were not exactly swill - but I consider it to be the weak link right now in my quest for mastery of espresso.

For Variable #1, I think a decent espresso grinder will create the proper resistance to make the pressure issue a non-issue. Since my budget is limited (next expenditure will be a nice grinder), I am going to try to master the elusive temp surf for variable #2 but will consider purchasing a PID if I am not successful.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »
For Variable #1, I think a decent espresso grinder will create the proper resistance to make the pressure issue a non-issue.

First off those look like pretty good 1st and second shots to me. My first few shots looked nothing like that.

But grinder is about more than resistance/pressure after you get past the 2 variable theme.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
These are my 1st & 2nd shots from my Gaggia Coffee that arrived today. Why they quit making this unit is beyond me - it is heavy built, looks great, and is easy to operate.  I think the Virtuoso mates up OK if you want OK espresso - these shots were not exactly swill - but I consider it to be the weak link right now in my quest for mastery of espresso.

For Variable #1, I think a decent espresso grinder will create the proper resistance to make the pressure issue a non-issue. Since my budget is limited (next expenditure will be a nice grinder), I am going to try to master the elusive temp surf for variable #2 but will consider purchasing a PID if I am not successful.

I'm impressed that you got that far just out of the gate!

It's my opinion that the new owners of Gaggia saw the old Espresso/Coffee/Carezza/Evolution line up as being essentially the same machine, which they were internally. The Evo is the prettiest of the group and being plastic, cheap to make. Thus, the rest were redundant. Like you, I believe the Coffee is the best of that group.

V1 isn't resolvable by simply grinding finer. The idea is to properly adjust the pressure and then dial in the grinder. It's akin to making a car go faster; do you just dump more gas down the cylinders or do you tune the motor to make better use of the fuel it really needs?

If you check with the members over at the Gaggia forum, those who've modded their machines with an adjustable OPV will tell you it's one of two must-do mods to get the most from your Gaggia Coffee (the other is the SPV fix). The 1st mod costs ~$50 and the second ~$3, and you'll see an immediate improvement in your coffee!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:34:33 PM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:43 PM »
For Variable #1, I think a decent espresso grinder will create the proper resistance to make the pressure issue a non-issue.

First off those look like pretty good 1st and second shots to me. My first few shots looked nothing like that.

But grinder is about more than resistance/pressure after you get past the 2 variable theme.

I don't recall actually ever seeing pics of your shots John! ??? For all we know they may not look that good yet? ;D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 05:15:26 AM »
I don't recall actually ever seeing pics of your shots John! ??? For all we know they may not look that good yet? ;D

I've posted loads of them over the years....

But you are right, for all you know I pull 7 second gushers and call them good.  :-X

From a few years ago before adding a pressure gauge and OPV.....so you decide what that might mean.. I also cleaned up the hack job I did on the portafilter but that had nothing to do with shot quality.

From the basket...
Carezza shot

In the glass...
Carezza shot
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:53:42 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »

I've posted loads of them over the years....

But you are right, for all you know I pull 7 second gushers and call them good.  :-X

From a few years ago before adding a pressure gauge and OPV.....so you decide what that might mean.. I also cleaned up the hack job I did on the portafilter but that had nothing to do with shot quality.

From the basket...
Carezza shot

In the glass...
Carezza shot

Oh yeah, now I remember seeing your beautiful shots! Previous comment retracted.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »
With a mouth like mine you had to know I had at least a little something in the tank.
 ;)

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »

I'll throw this out there; how hard is it, with entry-level equipment to get a shot that looks great?  If someone can get a decent looking shot with crema, will the taste be accordingly great?

I see a lot of photos and videos of nice-looking espresso.  But does that mean it would be something I'd like to drink?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
Nope. I get crema all the time with my Saeco espresso machine, but that doesn't mean I don't pull more than a few sink shots.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
The taste variable?
 :o

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »

I'll throw this out there; how hard is it, with entry-level equipment to get a shot that looks great?  If someone can get a decent looking shot with crema, will the taste be accordingly great?

I see a lot of photos and videos of nice-looking espresso.  But does that mean it would be something I'd like to drink?

As usual, that depends? Crema is more an indicator of bean freshness than of flavor. I've had some beans that tasted great that were more than two weeks old, that had little (~1/8") crema but were sweet and flavorful And I've had shots that were nothing but crema that were also great; it all depends on the quality of the bean.

You'll see picks of nothing but crema in shots pulled with robusta that taste like old tires burning. And crema enhancing devices, like pressurized filter baskets, create loads of false crema, but this is not an indicator of bean taste.

Crema cascading like fresh poured Guinness Stout is often held up as the ideal, but it's just an aesthetic thing; pretty to look at.

2011/02/14: Gaggia Coffee
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:40:55 PM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »

As usual, that depends? Crema is more an indicator of bean freshness than of flavor. I've had some beans that tasted great that were more than two weeks old, that had little (~1/8") crema but were sweet and flavorful And I've had shots that were nothing but crema that were also great; it all depends on the quality of the bean.

You'll see picks of nothing but crema in shots pulled with robusta that taste like old tires burning. And crema enhancing devices, like pressurized filter baskets, create loads of false crema, but this is not an indicator of bean taste.

Crema cascading like fresh poured Guinness Stout is often held up as the ideal, but it's just an aesthetic thing; pretty to look at.

2011/02/14: Gaggia Coffee

Then why post pics/videos?

The taste variable?
 :o

Have you mastered the troublemaker variable?   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2011, 04:04:27 PM »
Yep..straight out of the box.
 ;D

Lee Morrison