Author Topic: My new espresso machine doesn't fit :(  (Read 2473 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: My new espresso machine doesn't fit :(
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 05:15:33 AM »
At GCBC there is no such thing as going overboard for coffee.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28:42 AM »
Sheesh! And I thought I was going overboard contemplating a little cabinetry work.

Going overboard is just another way to get your feet wet! Seeming excess in furtherance of making good coffee is not really excess, but seems to be the norm. Just ask the white rabbit?

milowebailey

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 08:32:51 AM »

;D
+1

Overboard is GCBC

Tex

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »

;D
+1

Overboard is GCBC

You exaggerate my friend! Some of us take pride in our measured and reasoned approach - now where's that link to the Probat I saw on Craig's List? ;D

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »
Minor update: I seem to be having trouble giving this thing enough power.

I bought a garden hose to half inch pipe thread adapter so I could set it up out on my deck to test it out. I'm plugging it into a 20 amp outlet but it doesn't seem to be supplying enough power. My kilo-watt says it's pulling 1880 watts and the voltage drops from 118.5 volts down to 109-111v. The machine stays powered on for 20-30 seconds and then shuts off. I notice the plastic over the power switch is getting a little warm (not hot), too.

Any ideas?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Tex

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »
Minor update: I seem to be having trouble giving this thing enough power.

I bought a garden hose to half inch pipe thread adapter so I could set it up out on my deck to test it out. I'm plugging it into a 20 amp outlet but it doesn't seem to be supplying enough power. My kilo-watt says it's pulling 1880 watts and the voltage drops from 118.5 volts down to 109-111v. The machine stays powered on for 20-30 seconds and then shuts off. I notice the plastic over the power switch is getting a little warm (not hot), too.

Any ideas?

See page 11 of the manual - there is a built in switch the shuts the machine off if the auto-fill runs too long. This is common when filling the boiler the first time. IIRC, just turn the machine off and it turn it back on unplug machine & wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in & proceed. It may take a few attempts to get it filled.

manual & parts book: http://www.nuovasimonelliusa.com/mac_2000.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:08:48 PM by Tex »

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 04:04:08 PM »
Still no joy... seems like I bought a pig in poke unless there's something that I'm missing. I get some steamy dribbles coming out of the the steam wand and hot water tap but no water in the sight tube and no evidence that the pump ever comes on when pushing the buttons. Is there a manual valve to turn on some where?

Tex

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »
Still no joy... seems like I bought a pig in poke unless there's something that I'm missing. I get some steamy dribbles coming out of the the steam wand and hot water tap but no water in the sight tube and no evidence that the pump ever comes on when pushing the buttons. Is there a manual valve to turn on some where?

Some have shut off valves at the water inlet under the drip tray (my Mac Digit didn't). I'd start by taking the side & back panels off, then check that the motor turns - there a slot at the back of the motor for a large screwdriver (it should turn easily). You could always try wiring the pump to line voltage to see if it's working. No water in the site tube is not a good thing!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
I tipped it up and saw that right after the water inlet is a sort of screw valve. I stuck a screw driver in there and gave it a turn... got a spray of coppery colored water out.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:55:04 PM by grinderz »

milowebailey

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
It was probably sitting for too long.  I'd take it all apart and soak it in citric acid.... put in new gaskets, seals etc... and fire it up.... bet it will work then.

Just an afterthought... it's not 240 volts is it?

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
I tore into it some more and it turns out that the inlet valve had it's knob broken off and the valve itself was in the closed position. I fixed that and now it fills and heats up but I've still got no flow out of the group. The pump seems to be trying to work, though. It turns on and I see several amp jump in current pull.

I think you're right, Larry. It's wired for 110v, though I can't tell for certain as the data plate is illegible.

milowebailey

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »
Do you get steam?

If it's just the groups not letting water through, then I'm pretty sure it needs a good cleaning/descaling.  I'd take it apart and do a minor rebuild....

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
It's got lots of steam. In fact it's leaking steam where the group bolts onto the boiler (on the inside of the machine). It's been leaking there for a while as the frame has rust in the area which means I have to pull the group off.

Tex

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »
I tore into it some more and it turns out that the inlet valve had it's knob broken off and the valve itself was in the closed position. I fixed that and now it fills and heats up but I've still got no flow out of the group. The pump seems to be trying to work, though. It turns on and I see several amp jump in current pull.

I think you're right, Larry. It's wired for 110v, though I can't tell for certain as the data plate is illegible.

Here's a little something I did for a NS Mac Digit - same group as yours. It might explain the absence of flow at the group.

edited: The lack of water in the site tube concerns me, but it doesn't explain the lack of water at the group.

1) Check that the motor & pump work.
2) There's a T fitting at the back of the boiler that comes from the pump. This will often get plugged with scale.
3) Does the continuous button work? It bypasses the flow control valve & effectively turns the automatic machine into a semi-auto.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:08:07 PM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »

Look on the coils of the two solenoid valves - one of then will be legible. I have a 220 volt Personal, but every other NS 1-group I've seen is 120.