Author Topic: FInally making progress on my ES-1A rebuild.  (Read 2239 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: FInally making progress on my ES-1A rebuild.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »
Pneumatic cylinder, pushing the lever down.  There's your next project Tex.  :D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
They actually have old machines with a hydraulic or lever mechanisms option, so depending on how the shoulder feels that day you can switch things up :) . Here is an old La San Marco Alata as described.

Tex

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »
They actually have old machines with a hydraulic or lever mechanisms option, so depending on how the shoulder feels that day you can switch things up :) . Here is an old La San Marco Alata as described.

Boy, I haven't seen a hydraulic in ages. About 6 years ago someone asked me to take a look at an old Rancilio hydraulic. I did and told him hell no I wouldn't mess with it! Those things have valves all over the place and their all timed. I'm told even when they were new no one wanted to work on them.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 04:55:09 PM »
Haha. How hard can it really be? I have seen restored ones.

Tex

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
Haha. How hard can it really be? I have seen restored ones.

I just looked at all the pipes & valves and decided I didn't need the headaches. If I get anymore inquiries I'll refer them to you. ;)

Offline 2ndcrack

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »

Wow, what an amazing looking machine! It's got a Italian-chromed Jules Verne vibe going on!

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
In this particular scenario you definitely get what you pay for :) . That is why I do not own it!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 03:15:46 AM »
In this particular scenario you definitely get what you pay for :) . That is why I do not own it!

How much would one of those go for?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 05:05:23 AM »
In non-refurbished condition 2000 Euro, which is about $2,900, plus shipping from europe which would likely be about 1000 Euro after getting a custom crate built for it. So around $4,350 US dollars before you even restore anything. After restoring it with all original parts, new paint and re-chroming where necessary that machine would likely sell for $7,500 - $10,000. That particular machine would probably end up in a big time collectors hands. They are pretty rare.

The only machine I have that would even be in the same zip code would be my '52 Conti Empress 2-group. I would never be able to command that type of price for it though, since it is missing the top glass that surrounds the top cup tray. I have never even seen another early 50s 2-group Conti to compare it to and see what the original top glass looks like in the event a local glass maker would even be willing to take a stab at it. Plus the entire thing needs re-chroming and the machine is big! I would probably be staring at $1.5k-$2k in stripping, chroming and polishing which is not a number I particularly like. Whenever I get back around to making progress on the rebuild I will likely refinish everything except the chrome. In the event someone shows interest in the working machine someday, I might then break it down again and get it dipped.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:54:47 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 06:40:27 AM »
In non-refurbished condition 2000 Euro, which is about $2,900, plus shipping from europe which would likely be about 1000 Euro after getting a custom crate built for it. So around $4,350 US dollars before you even restore anything. After restoring it with all original parts, new paint and re-chroming where necessary that machine would likely sell for $7,500 - $10,000. That particular machine would probably end up in a big time collectors hands. They are pretty rare.

It certainly looks like a beautiful machine!

Far too rich for my blood.

:(
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 07:59:16 AM »
snipped

Whenever I get back around to making progress on the rebuild I will likely refinish everything except the chrome. In the event someone shows interest in the working machine someday, I might then break it down again and get it dipped.

This gets back to Pratt's, When restoration becomes "over restored" . Unless the chrome is peeling or rusting through, I'd prefer a good polishing and left as-is.

I suppose it depends on the end-users needs; a machine/brand collector might want a factory-original finish, a show-collector might want factory new look, and someone who's going to use it in a shop wants it working - looks are secondary.

But it'd be nice to see some pics if you ever do go all-in on a restore of that machine.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:48 AM »
I eventually want a small shop / roastery next to my chiro office in downtown Boise, so I fully intend on using one in conjunction with something like a Synesso (or whatever is the cutting edge / reliable machine with top notch results / reproducibility in 5 years). I want to have the other machines on display for people to look at and would rotate the larger more capable machines through use for straight shots or special blends or SOs. The only machines that I have at the moment that would be capable of this are the San Marco 75 series with a single group hooked up to the chassis of a 2-group (I have never seen another like this) and the '52 2-group Conti.

The drip tray on the above machine is toast. It needs to be re-chromed. I might make a little money restoring machines, but trust me it is not a whole lot when you break it down hourly. I want machines I restore to look new and I really do not care what other people think. If they like it, they can show interest and try to buy it and if they don't . . .  while I sought it out, bought it and refurbished it the way I wanted it anyway. B|Java just happened to show interest before I ever started on the Cremina, otherwise I would have already had it redone in red with a brown frame (as it came to me). So, I just restore machine to like-new original condition with original colors, because that is what I like to do with them. Selling one is just a means to buy another one. My hobby has to pay for itself otherwise it is a liability.

With that said, everything is for sale, so if the right person came along and realized the rarity of a machine as well as the time, effort and money that goes into them I would consider selling any of them. Part of the fun to me is finding a rare machine that does not work / looks barn fresh, and restoring it to full functionality along with making it look like it just came out of the factory the year it was made. It just makes me feel good. . . .
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:28:14 PM by Warrior372 »

Tex

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
I've never taken a rebuild where someone wanted an exact match for a showroom fresh machine. This means my investment is in the low hundreds, not thousands of hours. When I paint and refinish a machine, I'll do it to suit me or the customer. Since I'm usually rebuilding stuff on spec, I keep the paintwork from being over the top, and if I redo chrome it's usually to production, not show standards.

I'd love to go ape shit one day and turn my painter loose to lay in flames, maybe a little Grateful Dead American Beauty knock off, maybe even something with carved wood side panels. But to sell it, I'd have to find the one person in 10,000 with similar tastes who's got a pocket full of cash to lay out. Too narrow a market, so I'll stay with sort of plain vanilla just in case I want to sell my machines.

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 08:46:18 AM »
LOL...
+1
Resell factor is the only reason I don't do flames either.
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Tex

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »
Reassembled control panel, then tested it on my old machine. I'm tempted to take over to the sign maker to have it changed a bit. Which do you prefer?