Author Topic: My Pourover Bar Fabrication  (Read 6690 times)

seldomseensmith

My Pourover Bar Fabrication
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
As some of you know, my roasting company will soon be opening a cafe in Brooklyn. My cousin and I spent a couple days this weekend fabricating our pourover bar. I've attached a picture of where we currently stand, and you can check out our Flickr Stream (http://flic.kr/ps/UpRGT) for full photo documentation.

To let you know the setup; the bar is going to be bolted into the edge of the main bar, with the top of the pourover bar, flush with the bartop. And in addition to what you see in the photo, we'll be adding 3.5" shelves on the left and right sides to hold paper cups. And we'll be powder-coating it, and doing some custom artwork on the top.

jimec3

Re: My Pourover Bar Fabrication
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
Please let me know when you open.  I would love to take a road trip from CT and check it out   :)

-jim

Tex

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »
It would only cost ~$100 to have that powder coated - maybe a nice fuchsia? That would really pop!

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »
Wow! Great job. That thing is too cool. Yeah... powder coat it!
I joined a Blacksmith group so I could make stuff like this.
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:37:45 AM »
It would only cost ~$100 to have that powder coated - maybe a nice fuchsia? That would really pop!
Mr. He-man, 'I hate fru-fru' suggests fuchsia?!?  Is this Mrs. Tex posting on Tex's account? ;D
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 05:27:21 AM »

"fuchsia"

How is the weather down there Robert?

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

seldomseensmith

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 05:50:46 AM »
Thanks guys. I should also mention, there is a drain in the front right corner, that the base below the grate slopes to. We'll run a line from the drain to the sink. Also notice the tabs on the top/front left and right, for magnet timers.

Any other design suggestions? We've still got it on the work bench.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 06:05:03 AM »
Looking good!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »
The pourover bar looks great! Are you planning to use scales under each cone? The Intelligentsia off Broadway in Chicago has individual scales under each and brew by weight instead of volume for their pourover coffee (I am not a fan of their current roasting style, but as far as shops go they are a pretty good model). Also, any idea what kind of vessel you plan on catching the coffee in? I assume if you are not using scales you will need something with measurements on it. I have always been fond of glass chemistry beakers myself. They are relatively cheap, cool looking and they have measurements on them. http://www.sks-science.com/laboratory-glassware-p-6296.html.

Have you purchased equipment for the shop yet? I have the name / number a person at Compak USA in New Jersey. They will wheel and deal with you a little bit. Feel free to PM me and I can give you more details. I have past price quotes on K10s, which are arguably as good if not better (based on shop reviews) than Roburs. Not to mention the a decent difference in price.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:20:12 AM by Warrior372 »

Tex

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »
I use these for pour overs: http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/3502-01/

Six ounces is ideal for my pour overs and they're easy to clean. I'm sure you can find knock offs of the Bodum cups if you look.

seldomseensmith

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
Thanks man!!!

Our current plan is to dial in water/bean ratios, and pre-weigh beans for each individual cup. So we'll have a bunch of tiny ziplock bags, each with enough beans for one cup of coffee; we're only serving one size, 10oz. My partner shadowed at Dolcezza Gelato in DC last week. They brew coffee from all the big boys in the industry, and they only do pourovers. They use the pre-weigh system I'm referring to, and it seemed to go great.

Always open to suggestions. Anybody think of anything else to add to the bar?

Tex

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
Thanks man!!!

Our current plan is to dial in water/bean ratios, and pre-weigh beans for each individual cup. So we'll have a bunch of tiny ziplock bags, each with enough beans for one cup of coffee; we're only serving one size, 10oz. My partner shadowed at Dolcezza Gelato in DC last week. They brew coffee from all the big boys in the industry, and they only do pourovers. They use the pre-weigh system I'm referring to, and it seemed to go great.

I wonder if an espresso grinders doser could be adjusted to give a precise enough measurement? Of course this would only work in a very busy shop or you'd have stale coffee sitting in the doser.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »
That means you'll only heat enough water in a kettle for one cup, yes?  The scale under the cup would allow you to heat enough water for several cups and might save some time/effort during a rush.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

seldomseensmith

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »
That means you'll only heat enough water in a kettle for one cup, yes?  The scale under the cup would allow you to heat enough water for several cups and might save some time/effort during a rush.

We're going to be using a bunn h10x-80-208, so I'm hoping that hot water will be readily available, without limitations.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:31:35 AM »
Thanks man!!!

That same Intelli location I referred to above does the same thing. They have beans pre-weighed in little metal containers. All of the containers are in a cubby hole stacked on top of one another. They look similar to this: http://www.freundcontainer.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_6774T12_A_cn_E_67 . You might want to invest in something like this versus plastic bags. It would look better and would be reusable, although more expensive at initial purchase.