Author Topic: Taiwan Shop Grinder  (Read 3452 times)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
Taiwan Shop Grinder
« on: September 16, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
Just ordered a Taiwan shop grinder, the You-Wei CM-520. Was going to get the CM-520au, but was misquoted on the price and it's out of stock anyway. The cm-520au is 12,000nt and the cm-520 is 4800 nt. If everything goes as expected, it should be here in a few weeks. I've asked them to put some information on their 1k roaster including pricing in the carton.
http://www.you-wei.com/e/e-product01.htm
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:59:43 AM by hankua »

EricBNC

Re: Taiwan Shop Grinder
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:09:28 AM »
Interesting looking burr on the 520.  The 520AU has a more traditional flat burr look.  Have you ever used a grinder with this unusual type of burr?

Tex

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
Be wary of burrs with only two retaining screw - they tend to warp.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
The "crushing burr" is similar to the grindmaster style. For the price it's worth a try, around $165 USD for a grinder with a 1/3 hp motor rated at 1lb per minute.

EricBNC

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »

My Burrs only have two screws - I will have to watch for that now.

Maybe that is why the manufacturer of mine uses a special steel alloy 65mm burr set. It might prevent warping.

The "crushing burr" is similar to the grindmaster style. For the price it's worth a try, around $165 USD for a grinder with a 1/3 hp motor rated at 1lb per minute.

I see - will this be hard to replace over here? Might be worth getting a spare set with the grinder.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:11:03 PM »

Not sayin' they don't, but what would cause them to warp?  They can't be getting that hot?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »
the force and torque on them peter from the grinding process.  How can that little ole weed's roots split your sidewalk... the constant force on it...

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 07:00:10 AM »

Not sayin' they don't, but what would cause them to warp?  They can't be getting that hot?

a) It takes very little heat temp differential between the top & bottom of a piece of metal to cause warping.
b) It takes very little warping to ruin a set of espresso grinder burrs.
c) Why do you think every major grinder manufacturer has 3-hole burr sets - just so they can spend more money making their grinders?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:06:00 AM by Tex »

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »
Back up the bus.  This is the second time I have seen burrs with braille like projections.  What are those burrs?  Why the unusual design?  Who has used them?  Comparison with the slant machined ones with which I am familiar.  Thx.

EricBNC

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »
Back up the bus.  This is the second time I have seen burrs with braille like projections.  What are those burrs?  Why the unusual design?  Who has used them?  Comparison with the slant machined ones with which I am familiar.  Thx.

What does it even matter if they are just going to end up warped?

Probably why these are so thick - to try to prevent warping. I can't tell if mine is warped yet - maybe it doesn't get hot enough in 4 seconds for my double.  I will watch it closely though from now on...

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »
I still don't buy the warping business.  Have heard countless stories of burr replacement due to burrs becoming dull, but never because they warped.

I need pics, or it didn't happen.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »

Probably why these are so thick - to try to prevent warping. I can't tell if mine is warped yet - maybe it doesn't get hot enough in 4 seconds for my double.  I will watch it closely though from now on...

You wouldn't necessarily see the difference if it was warped, unless you had an absolutely flat surface and a set of fine feeler gauges. Besides warped burrs you also need to check for bearing run out that can cause burr wobble, flatness of the burr carrier, proper torque on the carrier nut, are the upper & lower burr carriers parallel, etc.

Espresso machines & grinders are priced so high because of the manufacturing precision that's supposed to go into them. The best way to judge their quality is to listen to feedback from expert owners. Me, I get suspicious when I see a Mazzer SJ knock off from China, or any grinder with just two mounting screws.

editorializing: Good Chinese equipment is priced on par with good equipment made elsewhere (guess what, the Chinese manufacturers didn't just fall off the turnip truck; they price their goods to be competitive in world markets, not to give their stuff away). When I see stuff from 3rd world countries priced 75% below prevailing world prices for equal goods, I stay well clear. One can save a bundle buying these hand made, no support, no off-the-shelf spare parts, machines, but you just might be buying an expensive door stop.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:38:19 AM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:55 AM »
I still don't buy the warping business.  Have heard countless stories of burr replacement due to burrs becoming dull, but never because they warped.

Sorry Peter, I can't get you up to speed on metallurgy in 5 minutes. Either take my word for it or go buy one of the grinders and find out for yourself?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 08:40:16 AM »

You wouldn't necessarily see the difference if it was warped, unless you had an absolutely flat surface and a set of fine feeler gauges. Besides warped burrs you also need to check for bearing run out that can cause burr wobble, flatness of the burr carrier, proper torque on the carrier nut, are the upper & lower burr carriers parallel, etc.

Espresso machines are priced so high because of the manufacturing precision that's supposed to go into them. The best way to judge their quality is to listen to feedback from expert owners. Me, I get suspicious when I see a Mazzer SJ knock off from China, or any grinder with just two mounting screws.

editorializing: Good Chinese equipment is priced on par with good equipment made elsewhere (guess what, the Chinese manufacturers didn't just fall off the turnip truck; they price their goods to be competitive in world markets, not to give their stuff away). When I see stuff from 3rd world countries priced 75% below prevailing world prices for equal goods, I stay well clear. One can save a bundle buying these hand made, no support, no off-the-shelf spare parts, machines, but you just might be buying an expensive door stop.

Yeah ... if the wobbly burrs need replacing often and the grind is inconsistent ... then you will be replacing the whole grinder before long.

In the end ... you get what you pay for.

I would go for a high quality used Italian made espresso grinder.  Great track record, even consistent grind, and high quality, long lasting, reasonably costing burrs.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »

Sorry Peter, I can't get you up to speed on metallurgy in 5 minutes. Either take my word for it or go buy one of the grinders and find out for yourself?

I don't mind taking your word for it, it's just odd that in all the forums I've read over the years, nobody ever talked about it.  You however, have experienced this?  Or simply repeating a theory that others have purported?

You wouldn't necessarily see the difference if it was warped, unless you had an absolutely flat  surface and a set of fine feeler gauges. Besides warped burrs you also need to check for bearing run out that can cause burr wobble, flatness of the burr carrier, proper torque on the carrier nut, are the upper & lower burr carriers parallel, etc.

Maybe that's why nobody talks about it, because nobody takes the burrs out, has the absolutely flat surface and checks w/ feeler gauges.