Author Topic: Taiwan Shop Grinder  (Read 3339 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Re: Taiwan Shop Grinder
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:11 AM »
There are a few grinders like this in Taiwan.  I bought what looks like the CM-300AU, and reported on the burrs here.  They may look like cutting burrs, but the crush.  The pictures are not so clear, but you can still see how the burrs are not really milled as much as molded.  Perhaps they are made better these days.  With better burrs, I would just love this grinder.

BTW, those with taste in Taiwan throw out the cheesy plastic receptacle and replace it with something neat, like a glass beaker.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:20 AM »
The 520au is advertised as having milled and quenched (hardened) burrs. In the photo the burrs look like a copy of some high ends models like ditting or mahlkonig and  the owner of the factory was asking why we would want a high speed professional grinder, what kind of business is it? Ha Ha, just a crazy geek!

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 06:25:30 AM »
Update:
 I was misquoted on the prices by the sales rep., the cm 520a was @ $160 and the cm-520au was over $300 (US). The cm-520a has the crushing burrs or "ghost burrs" and a very consistent grind, but creates a LOT of dust along with a ton of static. At first the static seemed to be an issue, but at least it collects the powder. The grinder has a heavy top attached to a plastic base, that is a bit wobbly. Maybe all of this style have plastic bases, instead of metal?  No way this grinder is going in a kitchen, because it's too messy. For grinding up a pound or two in a flash it's perfect.  So does this grinder get a thumbs up or thumbs down?  Undecided.....

I just got the OE Tiamo HG0096 in yesterday, ran a pound thru it, and brewed a pot of chemex this morning. The grind is pretty much what Doug commented, not very messy, and fits and looks great on the counter. I believe it's a Yang-Chia 600n grinder re-branded for Tiamo and will check that out.  I think the crushing or "ghost burrs" are available for this size grinder and plan on checking that out as well. Still a good buy at the close-out price of $100 with low cost shipping charges. Is it a keeper?  Better than a Baratza Maestro? Don't know yet.

The OE Tiamo grinder has a three prong grounded plug whereas the CM-520a has the two prong plug typically used in Taiwan.

Photo - CM-520A and Tiamo HG0096 (600n)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:00:05 AM by hankua »

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 06:34:07 AM »
I just got the OE Tiamo HG0096 in yesterday, ran a pound thru yesterday and brewing a pot of chemex this morning. The grind is pretty much what Doug commented, not very messy, and fits and looks great on the counter. I believe it's a Yang-Chia 600n grinder re-branded for Tiamo and will check that out.  I think the crushing or "ghost burrs" are available for this size grinder and plan on buying a set if possible. Still a good buy at the close-out price of $100 with low cost shipping charges...

Keep us updated.  I might pull that trigger yet, particularly if you can source those ghost buster burrs.

blzrfn

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
I agree other Dave, keep on testing and posting.  Eventually I would like to upgrade the grinder at the office, either by taking my Maestro there or buying one of these since the Maestro is no longer made.

jspain

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »
Update:
 I was misquoted on the prices by the sales rep., the cm 520a was @ $160 and the cm-520au was over $300 (US). The cm-520a has the crushing burrs or "ghost burrs" and a very consistent grind, but creates a LOT of dust along with a ton of static. At first the static seemed to be an issue, but at least it collects the powder. The grinder has a heavy top attached to a plastic base, that is a bit wobbly. Maybe all of this style have plastic bases, instead of metal?  No way this grinder is going in a kitchen, because it's too messy. For grinding up a pound or two in a flash it's perfect.  So does this grinder get a thumbs up or thumbs down?  Undecided.....

I just got the OE Tiamo HG0096 in yesterday, ran a pound thru it, and brewed a pot of chemex this morning. The grind is pretty much what Doug commented, not very messy, and fits and looks great on the counter. I believe it's a Yang-Chia 600n grinder re-branded for Tiamo and will check that out.  I think the crushing or "ghost burrs" are available for this size grinder and plan on checking that out as well. Still a good buy at the close-out price of $100 with low cost shipping charges. Is it a keeper?  Better than a Baratza Maestro? Don't know yet.

The OE Tiamo grinder has a three prong grounded plug whereas the CM-520a has the two prong plug typically used in Taiwan.

Nice eye appeal!  ;)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
If the grinder is creating a lot of dust then Id not think it was a very good grinder no?   We don't want dust and fines, if this thing is wrecking the  beans that much then it isn't doing its job very well.  Even if you are able to separate out the dust via static or whatever, it's still wasted product.

Just an observation
Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 04:53:11 AM »
Here are some pic of the Tiamo grinder burrs:
Thanks to Dave for posting the sale at OE!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:55:57 AM by hankua »

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »
Those look much nicer than mine.  From which model are these?

Tex

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
The burrs you displayed are very dull - in fact I'd say the were on par with the 100+ YO Spong grinder I just bought. It looks like they were machined and then sand blasted & heat treated; ass-backwards compared to quality grinders.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 06:34:45 AM »
The burrs you displayed are very dull - in fact I'd say the were on par with the 100+ YO Spong grinder I just bought. It looks like they were machined and then sand blasted & heat treated; ass-backwards compared to quality grinders.

Yes, quite backwards and very dull, but at least these were sand blasted!

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 06:52:49 AM »
The grinder is the OE Tiamo HG0086 that was on their closeout sale.  The grounds container was blocking the grinder outlet; stalled and blew the fuse. Luckily there are three spares underneath the grinder base.  :)  Very few parts inside the burr chamber, fit and finish is very good.

EricBNC

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »

Can you believe the burrs people use to grind these days?

And they even have the nerve to claim the taste from this dull burr is the same quality as the Super Jolly, the one your photo shows the burr from, the sharp burr...

EricBNC

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »
Of course the Vario does create a profile in the cup that equals the Super Jolly from my experience - now what to do about sharp vs dull since the sharper edge gives no "edge" in the cup...

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »
The OE Tiamo HG0086 burrs appear to be cast then machined. But fully machines burrs from Italy are available on a different Tiamo grinder of the same size.