Author Topic: Why isn't it possible for a company to build a good inexpensive 1 pound roaster?  (Read 9314 times)

Charly

I can see it now.

Why is your right arm so big?

From turning a coffee roaster for 3 hours

Right.....

My first commercial roaster was a home built, 6 lb. batch hand cranked unit that stuck into my brick oven. After a couple of years of daily multi batch roasting I did have one forearm just like Popeye's. True story  8)

Tex

I can see it now.

Why is your right arm so big?

From turning a coffee roaster for 3 hours

Right.....

My first commercial roaster was a home built, 6 lb. batch hand cranked unit that stuck into my brick oven. After a couple of years of daily multi batch roasting I did have one forearm just like Popeye's. True story  8)

HeeHee... Right, turning the crank. HeeHee...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
  My first commercial roaster was a home built, 6 lb. batch hand cranked unit that stuck into my brick oven.

I thought you had bicycle pedals on that thing....I remember it that way anyhow.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Charly

My first commercial roaster was a home built, 6 lb. batch hand cranked unit that stuck into my brick oven.

I thought you had bicycle pedals on that thing....I remember it that way anyhow.

Bicycle sprocket, pedal replaced by wood handle

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
so there WAS wood involved in the huge forearm?   ;D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

wsikes

Is it too much to ask for a Sonofresco clone for $300?   8)

milowebailey

They make one

Coffee Roasting Tutorial: The Popcorn Popper Method

Tex

Build it and I'll be your first customer. ::) But first, what are its specs going to be?

wsikes

Thanks Milo...
I can tell you that my Poppery, Poppery II, and my W.B. Pumper were considerably less than $300.  I use a couple of them at a time simultaneously in warm weather.  I guess I could use multiple Behmors during cold weather, but there goes my budget.
Roaster prices are ridiculous... unless you have a lot more $$$ than I do.

wsikes

Coffee roasters are not mass produced consumer goods and seem to be priced accordingly to their market.
As opposed to being priced according to build and marketing cost?

wsikes

Milo... you have too much time on your hands...  8)

milowebailey

Milo... you have too much time on your hands...  8)
So you think I have too much time and too much money.... I don't think I have either, but it seems I have offended you somehow so I'll not offer you anymore of my time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:46:12 AM by milowebailey »

wsikes

Milo... what did I say that offended you?  You think I never heard of a Popcorn Popper?  I'm not the afficianado that you are, so I am what... a moron?
Sorry I touched a nerve... guess I'll have to be very careful how I use my sense of humor, even if some other folks don't seem to feel the need.
I did not intend to offend you... and I guess you didn't mean to offend me by "introducing" me to the world of Popcorn Poppers.
Thank you, Milo.

Tex

Oooh... I like when someone besides me or Peter get touchy with each other! So, we'll see the two of you behind the gym after last period?

Toe the mark... and fight!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
and I didn't even have anything to do with this one.... sweet!!

That picture looks like Bill Murray

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!