Author Topic: Why isn't it possible for a company to build a good inexpensive 1 pound roaster?  (Read 9313 times)

wsikes

Speaking of coffee roasters... check out Modelmaker's new thread "Dream Roaster."

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
And remember, the lower end of the market is inhabited mostly by hobby roasters, ...

... and so those 1 lb roasters are competing with hopped up DIY methods that can do a half pound -- and most folks in the market for a 1 lb roaster will be willing to simply do two batches instead.

Then there's the matter of if it won't profile, it's not worth the leap from a DIY method where you at least have manual control and superb cooling. If you're going to pay a lot anyway, you'll likely be willing to pay more for good control.

Personally, I can't see a 1 lb roast as a sweet spot. Maybe for folks who refuse to freeze their coffee for a few weeks' storage for private use, I s'pose.

I definitely like my 10 oz batch for the popper and 3  to 6 lb batch for the OS/roaster. The former lets me do one-offs for customers (I only sell 1/2 lb bags) or batches for my own short-term consumption, whereas the latter lets me batch multiple customers (or larger quantities for customers) as well as stock up for myself or for the church.

Personally I find that committing to freezer storage and having multiple purposes for roasted coffee (customers, church, workplace, myself) allows me to be insanely flexible and work with that several-pound sweet spot.

Actually, I have an idea for an array of unique 1 lb roasters for coffee shop use -- "roast to order while you hang out" -- but it got sidetracked seven (is it seven?) years ago by the OS/roaster for the F/M. And I don't want to own a coffee shop, so...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:17:21 PM by rasqual »

wsikes

As am I.   8)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
I'm looking forward to seeing what Joe "@behmor" Behm has up his sleeve for the SCAA Event in April as foreshadowed by this tweet:

If they can figure out how to eject/quick cool that would be interesting.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

he has been tweeting about a new roaster <?> since Christmas during his trips to China.  He calls it Gort, whatever it is.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
The Gortmore 2012.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
So, what happens when we say 'Gort, Klaatu barada nikto' to the roaster? 

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
So, what happens when we say 'Gort, Klaatu barada nikto' to the roaster?

Be worth an extra $100 if it had a beam of light shoot out of it's eye.  8) 8)

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Thom from Sweet Marias talked for a second about the new Behmor on the webcast today... talked about being able to change the profile.

I may have to start saving my money and look for a show deal in April.

Sure drop a bomb on us with out leaving a web site link.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

Wouldn't be the first time vaporware was brought up in pubic discussions to gauge public interest - old marketing ploy. ::)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Wouldn't be the first time vaporware was brought up in pubic discussions to gauge public interest - old marketing ploy. ::)

Are you in a particularly crotchety mood today?

Thom from Sweet Marias talked for a second about the new Behmor on the webcast today... talked about being able to change the profile.

Good thing you'll be the only one with that idea.  ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

Are you in a particularly crotchety mood today?

Good thing you'll be the only one with that idea.  ;)

Working on it anyway. The cast comes off for good on Monday and this one is really getting ripe!

As for profile tailoring, the guys up at Sonofresco have mentioned that they might go that way, sometime - very vague about a timeline though. I'm already 1st in line for a retrofit.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Having something in a cast can really suck. 

As for profile tailoring, the guys up at Sonofresco have mentioned that they might go that way, sometime - very vague about a timeline though. I'm already 1st in line for a retrofit.

Milo will be most appreciative!   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19741154
Sweet Maria's webcast

I didn't see the new Behmor mentioned in this video.

:-\
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski