Author Topic: Why isn't it possible for a company to build a good inexpensive 1 pound roaster?  (Read 9312 times)

farmroast

My guess is the new behmor will have better profiling abilities and should be able to upgrade an old one. But still won't have any BT or ET readings. I doubt it physically will be any different except for the control board, but we'll see. 

RobertL

My guess is the new behmor will have better profiling abilities and should be able to upgrade an old one. But still won't have any BT or ET readings. I doubt it physically will be any different except for the control board, but we'll see.

I think Joe should reverse the rotation of the drum and redesign the fins to keep the beans opposite of the heating elements like the HT does. Just my opinion though...

EricBNC

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19741154
Sweet Maria's webcast

I didn't see the new Behmor mentioned in this video.

:-\

Over on H-B Dan posted a recording of the stream

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/sweet-marias-first-ever-live-interactive-webcast-1-13-t20140.html#p236029

- towards the very end (at 1:01:35), when he is showing his collection of Probat roasters, Tom does mention the new Behmor model which will allow:

"more program-ability where you can set curves and do some interesting things"

- which should be nice.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19741154
Sweet Maria's webcast

I didn't see the new Behmor mentioned in this video.

:-\

Over on H-B Dan posted a recording of the stream

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/sweet-marias-first-ever-live-interactive-webcast-1-13-t20140.html#p236029

- towards the very end (at 1:01:35), when he is showing his collection of Probat roasters, Tom does mention the new Behmor model which will allow:

"more program-ability where you can set curves and do some interesting things"

- which should be nice.

Now I see why I missed it ... it was less than a 15 second plug.

Thanks for pointing the exact location out.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
but even if you can 'set' a curve so to say,  the things heater keeps kicking in and out as it reaches ideal temp... that interruption would kind of ...foul... a curve to begin with no?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

BoldJava

Joe posted this curve-ball on his Twitter stream answering question about will roasters purchased today be obsolete in April.

behmor: @Stevedarty it's not a roaster that we are working on...

Control board that can be integrated into existing roasters?

Time will tell.

wsikes

I think Joe should reverse the rotation of the drum and redesign the fins to keep the beans opposite of the heating elements like the HT does. Just my opinion though...

That would only slow down the roast even more.  Personally, I would like to see them add another heating element but that would probably make it unfeasible in 120V configuration.

RobertL

That would only slow down the roast even more.  Personally, I would like to see them add another heating element but that would probably make it unfeasible in 120V configuration.

I think it would give the roaster a better balance of radiant and convection heat. When I roasted with a Behmor I always thought the beans were too close to the elements and received too much radiant heat.

wsikes

I think it would give the roaster a better balance of radiant and convection heat. When I roasted with a Behmor I always thought the beans were too close to the elements and received too much radiant heat.

I'm thinking the Behmor could more heat to make the profiles more flexible... doesn't matter if it is radiant or convective, as long as it isn't conductive.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
The thing with the behmore it IS cycling off and on pretty constantly through a better part of the roast cycle, especially once you enter crack range.  This means it supposedly IS getting up to temp, at least it thinks so.  Perhaps the air outside the drum is hot nuff to say it is but inside with the beans it aint?   Maybe a fan inside to blow more of the hot air around inside to get more of it to the beans?   Or possibly have the temp cycle at say 15 degrees higher to add more heat to the beans?

not sure but something should not be too hard to figure out.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Maybe they have in mind of giving Milo some competition and put out their version of the MiloWidget via the Arduino Board.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

Maybe they have in mind of giving Milo some competition and put out their version of the MiloWidget via the Arduino Board.

You mean they might beat milo to the punch despite his speedy development of the m:widget?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
He can only go so fast without HIS Sonofresco :)

Roasting Realtor

I don't think this is anything more than the typed word being insufficient to convey sentiment very well.  Everyone go back to their coffee-roasting.  <angel>

Doing a bit of roll playing as a nice guy today Peter?

It doesn't suit you!

This picture is so wrong.

Tex

Can we get back on topic?

I'm looking for a good inexpensive 1lb roaster, my budget is $12. It would be nice if the vendor also throws in 3-4lbs of green beans.

I have a Toastmaster Fluid Bed Roaster and 3-4lbs of green island coffee (from the exotic and majestic Republic of Dominica!) that is priced to move at $11.99 USD  ;)

I'll take it, as long as it comes with a lifetime warranty with a no questions asked guarantee. Oh, and on-site repair. Aaaaaannnnnnddddddd an occasional free house cleaning. Thanks.
Eric,
I'll pay you $12 to keep the DR beans...

It doesn't take long for a rookie to catch on, does it?

To quote T. Edison, "There are  no rules here, we're just trying to accomplish something."