Author Topic: Douwe Egberts - New Auto Drip Coffee Maker!  (Read 4575 times)

EricBNC

Re: Douwe Egberts - New Auto Drip Coffee Maker!
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
Maybe it was intended for the Australian market, but that isn't one of the nations listed on the tag - maybe Australia is covered under English patents though.

I made a pot this morning - 500 mL water, 30g ground coffee. I timed and measured temps through out the process. The first drops are not as hot since a small amount water remains in the tube above the boiler - this cools the initial burst of hot water a little - but by ten seconds the flow is over 190 F and remains there (197 - 204) using my less than exact hand held probe.  The process finishes in 3 minutes 10 seconds. 

Nice performance.

The box it shipped in (not original packaging) came from the Chicago area. I think Sara Lee, which did own (owns?) Douwe Egberts has headquarters in the area too. Maybe it was a test unit that escaped the lab or was given away when the idea of marketing them over here under that label got scrapped.

That company introduced the Senseo since the single serve market was gaining strength in Europe and looked like the way of the future - maybe this brewer's non-entry into the US market was a casualty of that decision.

Tex

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 06:44:57 AM »
I use 60 grams of coffee per 10 cup brew, and get laudable results. TV doesn't do partial pots particularly well.

EricBNC

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
My Combi - 8 shows 4 cups to be 500 ml. 10 cups would be 1.25 liters water. 60g coffee is a low amount for this much water.  In any case, if that is what you like then enjoy!

I find the 500ml pot to taste as good as what the Bonavita makes when using the same water and grounds ratio. With the Bonavita you can only control the flow with the grind - coarse is faster and fine is slower - much like a manual pour machine. The "Douwe-nivorm" gives the operator a method of correction in flow with the cone valve.

I notice too this glass carafe model has the same style lid as my Melitta Clarity. There is a tube running through the middle toward the bottom. I think this is supposed to help mix the pot more thoroughly.

Tex

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 01:33:29 PM »
My Combi - 8 shows 4 cups to be 500 ml. 10 cups would be 1.25 liters water. 60g coffee is a low amount for this much water.  In any case, if that is what you like then enjoy!

I find the 500ml pot to taste as good as what the Bonavita makes when using the same water and grounds ratio. With the Bonavita you can only control the flow with the grind - coarse is faster and fine is slower - much like a manual pour machine. The "Douwe-nivorm" gives the operator a method of correction in flow with the cone valve.

I notice too this glass carafe model has the same style lid as my Melitta Clarity. There is a tube running through the middle toward the bottom. I think this is supposed to help mix the pot more thoroughly.

I noticed it looks the same too. It's a pain pouring from it though, unless you lift the lid first.

EricBNC

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
That's interesting - so far I haven't experienced any dribbles or other issues while pouring.

I found an image of a European TV MM tag from a machine bought new in 2010. I notice that in comparison mine is missing several certifications a serial number...

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 05:55:23 AM »
Bottom line is you got a new machine that has the quality of a Technivorm for a cost that was much less than buying a new Technivorm. It makes a great cup of coffee.

Great deal, great coffee.

Well done.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »
Bottom line is you got a new machine that has the quality of a Technivorm for a cost that was much less than buying a new Technivorm. It makes a great cup of coffee.

Great deal, great coffee.

Well done.

That really isn't even an issue - curiosity is driving me. I already have brewers equal in quality of output - the mystery is in the history of the brewer. I notice another DE by TV (plug looks identical to mine) sold around the same time - this one hails from north of Downers Grove, IL while mine came from south of Downers Grove, IL. The other one's controls look like the Clubline posted in the 2002 Wine Spectator article:

In July 2012 Douwe Egberts and Sara Lee (Downers Grove is the new DE US HQ) part ways, then these things pop up for sale. Too much of a coincidence to me - might be more heading to CL or eBay - keep an eye out if you are in the market.