Author Topic: Popcorn Popper Roasters  (Read 10670 times)

Tex

Re: Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »
Okay, so I am convinced.  I ordered stuff for a StirCrazy/TurboOven setup.  Should be here today.  Now I just need some beans!

Have you got a digital thermometer with a type K thermocouple - they're invaluable for roasting. I'd start with a fruity Ethiopian bean, best bang for the buck until you develop some profiling skills.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
You should definitely start with a nice Ethiopian.    8)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »
You should definitely start with a nice Ethiopian.    8)

The world as we knew it is coming to an end!

Can you hear the bugle calling?

craigbooker

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »
Yes, I got a digital thermometer with a type K thermocouple.

craigbooker

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
Like the Ethiopian Sidamo Natural?  Should 5 lbs be enough?  http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=14793.0
5lbs usually lasts me a month.  I try to keep it at 1-2 cups per day.  About how long does it take to get the average shipment?

Tex

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
Like the Ethiopian Sidamo Natural?  Should 5 lbs be enough?  http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=14793.0
5lbs usually lasts me a month.  I try to keep it at 1-2 cups per day.  About how long does it take to get the average shipment?

That's be a good bean to begin with; natural prrocessed beans do well in a UFO/CO roaster.

Depends who's doing the distro - sometimes it seems to take forever!

;D
But they ship via USPS flat rate Priority mail, so figure less than a week. And when Peter wears his rug, things really get moving!

'

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
Tex is a real time-saver, and a helpful lad; I don't have to take time to answer.   :-*

An unbiased answer...  this lot of Sidamo is very good, and since it'll keep well in storage, you may want to take 10#, just to bring the per lb. shipping cost down.  But in that regard, you may as well throw 5# of Costa Rica in the box.  Take w/ a grain of salt.

Typically, I can ship the day after an order is placed.  Depending on where you live and the distance from Lake Cheddar, you could be roasting in a few days.

Tex

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »
Tex is a real time-saver, and a helpful lad; I don't have to take time to answer.   :-*

An unbiased answer...  this lot of Sidamo is very good, and since it'll keep well in storage, you may want to take 10#, just to bring the per lb. shipping cost down.  But in that regard, you may as well throw 5# of Costa Rica in the box.  Take w/ a grain of salt.

Typically, I can ship the day after an order is placed.  Depending on where you live and the distance from Lake Cheddar, you could be roasting in a few days.

I haven't tried this bean, but some cuppers are notoriously chintzy, and some even quibble about quarter points, so an 87.25 must've really made Peter's taste buds light up?

FWIW: I'm trying to talk my niece into buying 10 lbs or so for her entry into roasting, because a natural Ethiopian is the easiest bean to achieve success with.

Tex

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
We'd better watch out or Tex's niece will not only be showing up our latte art but putting our pooched roasts to shame.  Good to see you getting the next generation involved, Tex.

As for the Sidamo, I think that's the recommendation I gave on the Howdy thread, if I remember correctly.  Sounds like a winner to me.

She's turned into the espresso fanatic lately. I think the main reason she visits us is so she can play with my toys? I told her that if she buys her own greens she can use the Sono, or I'd help her put together a clone of my UFO/CO. Who knows, she may wind up a member here at some point and then we'd have everyone out gunned for sure!

;D

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
We'd better watch out or Tex's niece will not only be showing up our latte art but putting our pooched roasts to shame.  Good to see you getting the next generation involved, Tex.

Who knows, she may wind up a member here at some point and then we'd have everyone out gunned for sure!

;D

If her name is Roberta, she'll have to use Texette for her username.

Tex

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 05:40:42 PM »

Who knows, she may wind up a member here at some point and then we'd have everyone out gunned for sure!

;D

If her name is Roberta, she'll have to use Texette for her username.

Nah she uses FlyGirl in most of the forums she frequents (she's an airline pilot). But she does pack, so watch your back Peter.

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »
So I should only have to create a spacer now right?  I have the SC, TO, and thermometer with K type thermocouple.

Tex

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
So I should only have to create a spacer now right?  I have the SC, TO, and thermometer with K type thermocouple.

Here's how I put one of my UFO/CO units together. I use silicone tubing to help seal the top and keep it from slipping; a tip I picked up from David Mankin.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:42:03 AM by Tex »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
The slit silicone tube is pointless; the top can't slip off, only go bit off-center, and in a matter of a half-dozen roasts the roastium build-up on the glass top will keep it from slipping too.

Tex

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
The slit silicone tube is pointless IMHO; the top can't slip off, only go bit off-center, and in a matter of a half-dozen roasts the roastium build-up, in an uncleaned roaster**, on the glass top will keep it from slipping too.

FIFY

**Not a problem if you like filthy coffee?