Author Topic: Popcorn Popper Roasters  (Read 10666 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 09:12:57 AM »
This is perfect! Thank you Peter.  This does not make you look arrogant

Wait a while, you'll catch on.  Right, Tex?   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »
Sorry for the bum link -- mine's 1/16, too. I patterned mine off of Peter's and it works great. The only thing I did differently was to drill a hole instead of cutting a slot for the temp probe (which I don't use much any more).  If you drill holes and use screws, don't torque them - only tighten them very lightly as the plastic will break.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Tex

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2012, 10:01:16 AM »
This is perfect! Thank you Peter.  This does not make you look arrogant

Wait a while, you'll catch on.  Right, Tex?   ;D

It all depends on one's perspective, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:42:51 AM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
Found strip at Lowe's. Now what?

This will (again) make me sound like a pompous ass (I'm happy to endure that title to help a n00b create their roaster), but look at the spacer/chaff ejector I use;

https://sites.google.com/site/peter4jc/thespacer,openedandclosed2

It's simplicity in action; no pop rivets needed, can be opened or closed to release chaff or modulate heat, and just flat works.

Tex is absolutely correct, that the 1/16" thick aluminum is the way to go.  1.5" high is good too.

I like the simplicity of Peter's design, but I burned my fingers a few times and decided it was for someone more nimble than me - thus my fixed chaff chute.

And I like David Mankin's use of the plate-holder springs to hold the riser in place - it makes dumping the very hot roasted beans into the cooling tray a lot easier.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
my set up is pretty close to peter's.. I don't even have the little stick to wedge open the spacer.. I just lift to turbo oven or cut the heat for a few seconds if I need to slow the roast down.. I like the springs holding the spacer on.. maybe I will use that in the future, for now I have some pretty heavily insulated oven type gloves that I pick the popper and spacer up to flip the beans out..

Tex

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
my set up is pretty close to peter's.. I don't even have the little stick to wedge open the spacer.. I just lift to turbo oven or cut the heat for a few seconds if I need to slow the roast down.. I like the springs holding the spacer on.. maybe I will use that in the future, for now I have some pretty heavily insulated oven type gloves that I pick the popper and spacer up to flip the beans out..

I use a pair of welding gauntlets that I picked up at Harbor Freight. They come in handy when BBQing too.

I use a router speed control to manage temps - that & a good thermometer gives me pretty tight temp control.

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
I could use some gloves for my smoker.  Will have to add it to the list.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »
Thank you Peter.  This does not make you look arrogant

It makes him look racist.

Oh wait...wrong forum.    ???
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
Thank you Peter.  This does not make you look arrogant

It makes him look racist.

Oh wait...wrong forum.    ???

;D

;D

;D

>:(

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 04:25:56 AM »
I woke up to a couple of pm's regarding me calling Peter a racist.

I see how if there is no context to understand  the "oh yeah, then you are racist" joke it looks confusing.

Long story short it's a joke and no real racists were harmed while making this film.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 08:55:24 AM »
I woke up to a couple of pm's regarding me calling Peter a racist.

I just knew that registering under several different usernames would come in handy someday.

No doubt you quelled any objections in a proper manner.

We return now to our regularly scheduled topic in progress.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »
The slit silicone tube is pointless; the top can't slip off, only go bit off-center, and in a matter of a half-dozen roasts the roastium build-up on the glass top will keep it from slipping too.

I like the silicone tube a lot.  It softens the contacts.  Yup....it comes off and has to be put back on.  It's worth it.  Peter has this one wrong.

Why is 'softens the contacts' important?  Are you concerned about breaking the glass?  That's silly.

Spending money on the silicone, spending time installing it, spending time putting it back on, all when it's unneeded...  that's worth it?  If you're going to add cost/complexity to any project it has to have added some value to the project.  If you simply like the silicone tube, I would not fault you for using it.  My post was directed at someone giving advice to a person new to roasting and trying to keep him from thinking the added cost/complexity of the silicone tube had any real benefit, which it does not.

I may concede part of the discussion, IF a person is using the UFO for the bottom, as they're smaller in diameter to the Stir Crazy.

Tex

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
The slit silicone tube is pointless; the top can't slip off, only go bit off-center, and in a matter of a half-dozen roasts the roastium build-up on the glass top will keep it from slipping too.

I like the silicone tube a lot.  It softens the contacts.  Yup....it comes off and has to be put back on.  It's worth it.  Peter has this one wrong.

I could've told you not to rattle Peter's chains, but I thought you could use the object lesson. ;D

Big Bang Theory I told you so

Tex

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »

No, no; we never say Peter is wrong - that just fans the flames!

I put dabs of hi-temp silicone in the tube to keep it in place;

I don't like the idea of using tape to keep the riser in place because the glue & cloth will impart a flavor to the beans. On my 1st one, with a Stir Crazy that has a raised lip around the outside edge, I used pop rivets to keep the riser put. The UFO has no ridge, so I'm going to od something like David Mankin suggested; maybe a plate holder spring?

SJM

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 10:12:42 AM »
There's no fabric in high temp foil tape.