Author Topic: Popcorn Popper Roasters  (Read 10669 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »
Thank you Tex for adding clarification to the matter.  It's a lesson we should all seek to follow.   ;)

Again, my intention was not to tell Susan (or anyone else) how they should build a roaster, but to intercept the suggestion to a newb that the tubing serves any worthwhile purpose.  Now the newb has the decision to make, and however he does is fine too, but at least he'll know going into it there are two sides to every silicone tube.

Edit: don't correct Tex, Susan, 'specially don't tell him he's wrong.   ;D  ;D  ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2012, 10:19:21 AM »
There's no fabric in high temp foil tape.

But there is adhesive that's not rated for the temps of a roaster. And I have seen folks who've used duct tape on the roasters.

Charly

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:24 AM »
Tex is a real time-saver, and a helpful lad; I don't have to take time to answer.   :-*

An unbiased answer...  this lot of Sidamo is very good, and since it'll keep well in storage, you may want to take 10#, just to bring the per lb. shipping cost down.  But in that regard, you may as well throw 5# of Costa Rica in the box.  Take w/ a grain of salt.

Typically, I can ship the day after an order is placed.  Depending on where you live and the distance from Lake Cheddar, you could be roasting in a few days.

I haven't tried this bean, but some cuppers are notoriously chintzy, and some even quibble about quarter points, so an 87.25 must've really made Peter's taste buds light up?

FWIW: I'm trying to talk my niece into buying 10 lbs or so for her entry into roasting, because a natural Ethiopian is the easiest bean to achieve success with.

Maybe it's just me but I find natural Ethiopians possibly the trickiest of all to achieve success with. Totally different roasting profile than anything else. I find it hard to ever screw up a Oaxacan Pluma or El Salvador bourbon

SJM

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
As usual, I have something to say about something that came up a few days ago.   As you know, my UFO/TO no longer resides here with me but has been relocated to Hawaii.  So, this morning I am passing on to my friend there your suggestions that neither the silicone tubing nor the foil tape are necessary.  He just may find that those items are more trouble than they are worth, and I am certainly going to let him know that several voices have indicated that they can be discarded without ill effect....

Just sayin....

Susan

GC7

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »

Susan - check out this thread for tape and insulation material.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10633.0

Tex

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »

Susan - check out this thread for tape and insulation material.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10633.0

I checked with the mfgr and this brand of HVAC tape uses silicone-based adhesive and is rated to 600°F. Not all HVAC tape is rated this high.

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »
You all crack me up!

Tex

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
You all crack me up!

You're doing a crack distro? Bad man, very bad man!

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
I don't like the idea of using tape to keep the riser in place because the glue & cloth will impart a flavor to the beans. On my 1st one, with a Stir Crazy that has a raised lip around the outside edge, I used pop rivets to keep the riser put. The UFO has no ridge, so I'm going to od something like David Mankin suggested; maybe a plate holder spring?

FYI - I built (I believe) the very 1st UFO/TO back in 1996.  I used springs from plate holders (wall mounting thingies) to hold the riser in place,  and silicone tubing around the riser's rim... and the rig STILL roasts for me every week beautifully.  If it ain't broke...

David

Tex

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
I don't like the idea of using tape to keep the riser in place because the glue & cloth will impart a flavor to the beans. On my 1st one, with a Stir Crazy that has a raised lip around the outside edge, I used pop rivets to keep the riser put. The UFO has no ridge, so I'm going to od something like David Mankin suggested; maybe a plate holder spring?

FYI - I built (I believe) the very 1st UFO/TO back in 1996.  I used springs from plate holders (wall mounting thingies) to hold the riser in place,  and silicone tubing around the riser's rim... and the rig STILL roasts for me every week beautifully.  If it ain't broke...

David

It may still work, but I know this one had you salivating!

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=14900.msg236497#msg236497

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
How about a scale. What are your thoughts on this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
Here it is.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
I have that scale, and it works fine -- though that kind of precision is overkill for measuring greens for roasting, I think.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

craigbooker

Popcorn Popper Roasters
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »
Okay, I couldn't wait. I roasted without a scale.

craigbooker

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
I had some issues with power.  Seemed having the TO and SC plugged into the same power strip was setting off the power strip.  So my power kept fluctuating.  This made things a wee bit difficult to keep the temp consistant.  This is what probably caused the somewhat uneven roast.