Author Topic: Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed  (Read 10758 times)

SJM

Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
I can't believe it. 
I have no idea how to make coffee without my gram scale.
And just this minute.....about to weigh and grind and pull.....Nada.
No workie....

I'm s******.

Susan

SJM

Re: Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 12:16:32 PM »
Doing a search for "scale" I came upon Chris' comments that the Able scale couldn't handle heat.  I wonder if that is what made my Salter go south.  Just yesterday I was putting my pourover onto it.....had never done that before....interesting.  Where is that Bonavita when I need it NOW.

Susan

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
I still don't understand the big deal about weighing water and/or brewed coffee.  I measure 14oz. of water, boil it, and then pour.  When there's no more water, I stop pouring.

I admit, I get geeky on some stuff, but not not as much as I used to.  If the coffee's great, then I'm geeked out enough.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
I still don't understand the big deal about weighing water and/or brewed coffee. ...

Second.

I know when I have hit a litre/quart in the Chemex.  I throw the brakes on.  Poy-fect.

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
I can tell you that Atlas does not weigh their coffee when they cup.  They use a measuring scoop. I doubt a bean or two will make much difference anyway.  With ground you are probably even closer with a scoop than whole bean..
I think consistency is important, but I don't think that means you have to weigh everything.

I measure and don't weigh, mostly because my scale is +/- a few grams anyway and I'm lazy, weighing take more time.

SJM

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
This comes up all the time (to weigh or not to weigh) but it's simply a matter of preference, and I prefer to weigh.  It gives me confidence which I sorely need.  There are enough variables and weight is an easy one to corral. 

Thanks for those measurements, Chris, they will get me through a few days until I find a scale.  Trying to do it without coffee would be too hard, and right now when I am trying hard to learn what does and what doesn't work it would make it much harder.

As for "in the wild"?   The wildest it gets for me is the back yard....

Susan

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
This comes up all the time (to weigh or not to weigh) but it's simply a matter of preference, and I prefer to weigh.  It gives me confidence which I sorely need.  There are enough variables and weight is an easy one to corral. 

I wouldn't say don't weigh, or do weigh.  I weigh all my beans before grinding.  My point is that with water, measuring then boiling then pouring is accurate enough.

SJM

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »

I wouldn't say don't weigh, or do weigh.  I weigh all my beans before grinding.  My point is that with water, measuring then boiling then pouring is accurate enough.

Ah, right, and I have been doing this, but when I measure from the Aroma kettle into the measuring pitcher and then pour it into the Buono it cools off too much.   Yakster suggested weighing;  he also suggested a re-heat of the Buono over the gas;  I will go back to measuring before putting it in the Buono and then doing a quick re-heat to regain the lost degrees.

Whew...
Susan

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Or, you could just measure before the Aroma kettle...  and then pour into the Buono, or use the cotter pin and pour from the Aroma...

BozemanEric

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
I'm a weirdo who thinks weighing is faster, but that's just me.

At my elevation I have to use the water pretty much straight off a boil. My process is, heat the water in the electric kettle, transfer it to the Buono, turn the gas on bring to a rolling boil.  At the same time that the V60 is sitting under the tap with hot water running through it. If I take all this into consideration I can keep my brew temp between 196 and 198. There is no place for measuring in this long process.

I do have to agree with Yakster though. I think it is faster (and eiser) to throw your brew vessel on a scale that it is to actually measure volume out. 

SJM

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
I do have to agree with Yakster though. I think it is faster (and eiser) to throw your brew vessel on a scale that it is to actually measure volume out.

I did that with the pours I did yesterday and found it very satisfying.  Now I just need to find a new scale that will allow the heat etc. etc.   Or maybe I'll just wait for that Bonavita one that is coming....soon????

Susan

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
Here is my technique for a single cup pour over:
1. Put 20 oz water into electric kettle, fire it up for 200 degrees
2. Put water into 12 oz measuring cup, nuke on high for 1.5 minutes to preheat measuring cup
3. When microwave chimes, do NOT remove the water and measuring cup
4. When water in electric kettle gets to temperature, measure and grind the beans
5. Set up 12 oz coffee cup with Hario 02 paper filter and Hario v60 cone
6. Rinse filter with water from electric kettle, replace electric kettle
7. Place ground coffee into filter, pour a little water into the grounds
8. Remove measuring cup from microwave, empty it
9. Pour 10 oz of water from electric kettle into measuring cup
10. Pour water from measuring cup into Hario Buono kettle, commence with pour over
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »

Don't you measure the water before boiling?

SJM

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
I love it.
No wonder the rest of the world thinks we are crazy.....we definitely ARE crazy....
Luckily we aren't alone in our caffeine crazed world....

Thank you everyone for enabling my craziness...

Susan

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
This may resolve your scale problem.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski