Author Topic: Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed  (Read 10754 times)

SJM

Re: Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
Thanks, mp.

Susan

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »
Thanks, mp.

Susan

You're welcome.

Was this the type of scale you were looking for?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »
This may resolve your scale problem.

:)

Until the heat wrecks it, that is.

Light bulb moment!!!  Why not tare out the vessel you're brewing into with a hotpad or trivet underneath it?  Man, I should have been a rocket surgeon.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »
???

I looked and it looked good.
My brain, however, has run out of steam for one day and doing a comparison shop on scales is going to have to wait.  That one certainly looks like the right idea.

Susan

SJM

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
I'm thinking this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OIRSSU/ref=gno_cart_title_2

Better than my Salter which did grams but not .1 grams.
The Salter would weigh up to 5#;  this one stops at about 4.4#, but I can handle that.

Nite all

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »
I still don't understand the big deal about weighing water and/or brewed coffee. ...

Second.

I know when I have hit a litre/quart in the Chemex.  I throw the brakes on.  Poy-fect.

Third.

Embrace the variation of un-exact measures.

When we first start out exact measures are vital to get a lay of the land. Later, relax...
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 08:56:19 PM »
I'm a weirdo who thinks weighing is faster, but that's just me.  I love the fact that my Healthy Bread on 5 minutes a day has both volumetric and weight measurements for their recipes, it's much easier to pour in 720 grams of flour into my mixing bowl than weigh and level 5-1/2 cups of whole wheat flour.  Don't even get me started about the joys of putting a plate on the kitchen scale and taring it for portioning out bulk pack meats or weighing frozen meat before using the defrost by weight feature on the microwave.
Weighing flour for bread ensures good bread. Too many times you can get too much flour if you just scoop. You can mess up your cookies that way also.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »
Depends on what I'm using as a brewing technology.

For Melitta pourover I measure out approx 21gms roasted and then throw them into the hopper. Fill the electric kettle with approx 24oz of water and bring to boil, as it hits the peak boil I press the grind button on the Vario. While the coffee is grinding I pour boiling water over the filter which sits inside the Melitta one cup which sits on top of a 12oz coffee mug. With the cup pre-heated and the filter sorted out I throw the cup water into the sink and begin the extraction judging when to stop extraction based on coffee volume almost to the top of the mug.

For 6 cup Chemex/Kone 2 combo I measure out approx 23gms of roasted and throw them in the hopper. Fill the electric kettle with approx 24oz of water and bring to boil, as it hits the peak boil I press the grind button on the Vario. While the coffee is grinding I pour boiling water over the Kone 2 and pre-heat the Chemex. A quick swish of the Chemex and that hot water gets poured in my coffee mug for a pre-heat. The Chemex/Kone 2 gets placed on a gram scale and with the ground coffee in the Kone 2 the scale gets zeroed. I use approx 60-70gms of water to pre-soak the grinds for approx 30secs, then begins the central pour for the remainder of the water, a total of approx 400gms (+/- 10gms) of water gets used to extract the coffee.

For Melitta I don't really need a scale other than to weigh out the coffee but for Chemex/Kone 2 I pretty much always use a scale.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 06:15:44 AM »
Weighing flour for bread ensures good bread. Too many times you can get too much flour if you just scoop. You can mess up your cookies that way also.
+2 on using a scale - HUGE improvement in the consistency of my breads and baking afterwards.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 06:24:41 AM »
???

I looked and it looked good.
My brain, however, has run out of steam for one day and doing a comparison shop on scales is going to have to wait.  That one certainly looks like the right idea.

Susan

If it is any use to you the one on eBay weighs up to 12 pounds.

lp, 7-Ski

century

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »
This may resolve your scale problem.

Until the heat wrecks it, that is.

Light bulb moment!!!  Why not tare out the vessel you're brewing into with a hotpad or trivet underneath it?  Man, I should have been a rocket surgeon.

This is what I do on the days I do a Chemex.

ecc

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
I always weigh coffee, but water is pretty easy to estimate accurately by volume. 

I finally got a scale without an auto shut-off, so I might start weighing water too.
http://prima-coffee.com/catalog/jennings-cj4000-scale-29075

It also comes with an AC adapter.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »
I always weigh coffee, but water is pretty easy to estimate accurately by volume. 

I finally got a scale without an auto shut-off, so I might start weighing water too.
http://prima-coffee.com/catalog/jennings-cj4000-scale-29075

It also comes with an AC adapter.

That is more expensive however I really like the fact that it works on commonly available batteries and you can plug it into the house current.

lp, 7-Ski

ecc

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
The force is very strong in this one!

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »
The force?  Must be in play as I am a bit amazed at the number of folks that are weighing water.  Whoa, Nelly...

B|Java