Author Topic: Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed  (Read 10756 times)

Ray T

Re: Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »
Hey peeps. One cubic centimeter of water weighs one gram. You don't need to weigh water.
Curly

Does hard water weigh the same as soft water  ;D

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
I'm simply astounded by this thread.  <shakes head in amazement>  I'm lucky if I bother to break out a measuring scoop to measure for my french press. For espresso, I usually just level off at the top of the basket unless the beans need a little tweaking. Even then it's strictly seat-of-the-pants-o-meter.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

SJM

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
Well now, I'm curious:  youse guys who don't measure, did you ever?  or never? 

I came to weighing as a way to eliminate the variables when I was learning to use my first Gaggia.  Seemed to me it was important to keep only change one variable at a time while I tried to find out which one was possibly keeping my shots from being just right. 

Once I started I found it impossible to start.  I guess I'm an addict..... :-[

SJM

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
I'll repeat my post above. One cubic centimeter (cc) weighs one gram. NO NEED TO WEIGH

Well of course not;  weighing is just another way of measuring.

BoldJava

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »

Why weigh?  I know volume line -- the coffee tastes good.  Grams with finished volume.  Done.

ecc

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 05:50:48 PM »
I'll repeat my post above. One cubic centimeter (cc) weighs one gram. NO NEED TO WEIGH

This is only true as an approximation.  One cc of water at about 4 C (water at maximum density) is roughly a gram.  Water heated from room temperature to boiling expands 4 or 5 percent.  So that proves we aren't being too picky!  ::)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
I think sometimes people get overly technical at performing tasks.

Once you determine intuitively what important factors give you a good shot you just run with them. Through trial and error I learned how much coffee to put in the portafilter and pull a great shot. Once I learned that I always stuck with this knowledge I had acquired. Will there be exactly 16 grams of coffee in the portafilter ... maybe not ... but ... who cares. My shots are 85% or better good shots and when the 15% takes on up then I take it in stride and move on.

Learn the biggies, repeat them over and over, then you will enjoy good coffee.

My 2 cents.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ecc

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »

This is only true as an approximation.  One cc of water at about 4 C (water at maximum density) is roughly a gram.  Water heated from room temperature to boiling expands 4 or 5 percent.  So that proves we aren't being too picky!  ::)
So getting used to weighing on (relatively) a expensive scale, with risk of breaking it because it can't take the heat, is better than getting used to measuring volume with a $2.00 measuring cup?
When you know the volume you like use that as your benchmark.

I think that's a different argument, and one that is harder to argue with.

Better coffee is better coffee.  Stay thirsty my friends.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:07:22 PM by ecc »

SJM

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
Where when and how this thread turned into a discussion of the right or wrong way to do things I don't know and I hope I had nothing to do with it.

Like Chris, I do it the way I do it because I like to do it that way. 

I'm outta here...

Susan

ecc

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »
Where when and how this thread turned into a discussion of the right or wrong way to do things I don't know and I hope I had nothing to do with it.

Like Chris, I do it the way I do it because I like to do it that way. 

I'm outta here...

Susan

Ahhh c'mon, we're just playing. Tex hasn't even gotten here yet!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
No mention of right or wrong in any post. I just see people stating their preferences and opinions. Good healthy debate. I'm sure what I've said will not change the habit and preferences of others entrenched in their ways as I am.

Ditto.  Nobody said anything about right or wrong.  Crazy, maybe, for not doing it like I do, but not wrong.   ;D

My dad had a favorite saying, "It's a free country."  He'd use it to justify his vices and habits, but I've come to use it to, mainly to keep myself from not giving others latitude in their choices.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »
Sheesh....
You are right....
Too tetchy....
Always have been...
Workin' on it...

Nite all...
Susan

SJM

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
As for Tex? 
No way he'd weigh no stinkin beans....
He thinks I'm a sissy....

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »

I think I measured everything for a long time but then slowly gravitated away from the geeking and more towards going with the flow. I think measuring everything is important until you have a good feel for things.

Now I just know what a scoop of coffee looks like for a mug of coffee and I know that once my cup is full it's time to stop filling.  ???

I put 3 scoops in for a pitcher I have that makes 2.75 mugs and once it's full I stop pouring just like the single cup.

I overfill portafilter baskets and level off.

Same scoop that goes into a pourover goes into FP, AP, and Viet brewer.

I don't use the vac pot often enough to eyeball that so I'd have to measure the coffee for that but still don't see myself weighing the water......geeks.  ;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison