Author Topic: Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed  (Read 10759 times)

SJM

Re: Totally Dependent on Gram Scale which just failed
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
I guess you are looking at dethroning some of the Geeks here.

:o
Did you end up ordering the one you gave the link to?
 :)

Yup.  This one is on the way
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OIRSSU/ref=gno_cart_title_2

I got the AC adapter to go with it thinking maybe the batteries are the problem with putting hot stuff on top? 
I don't know if that is the case, but....

SJM

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
4 oz jelly jars hold ~ 50 grams

Well, jelly jars it's gonna have to be since the old 'on-again off-again gone-again finnegan' scale is definitely ready to retire to the dustbin.

Susan

SJM

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
That's 4 oz level jelly jars.   ;)

It probably works, but.....these Mexican decaf beans from Peter look really really dense and 3 jars full looks like way more than the 210 grams I was aiming for.  I'm afraid I'm gonna either have to run out to Harbor Freight or wait until the mailperson brings my new scale.   Go ahead...call me chicken.....

Did I mention these beans look and smell just like chocolate chips????   I don't want to kill them...

Susan

SJM

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
Nevermind the chicken thing.
Four jars are going in the Behmor....
1/2# P2 B....

Later...
Susan

SJM

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
Yeah, not to worry.   I had to +++++ to the max and it was in the middle of FC when it went into COOL.  I'm letting the Behmor do the cooling to take advantage of that dribbling off of the heat....

I've been thinking that having some decaf around at night for goodies like Coffee Keokes and Irish Coffees would be....a very good idea....

Susan

SJM

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »
They may look dense, but the decaf process breaks down cell walls and leaves the beans less dense than before the process. They will need a slower ramp to first crack for even heat distribution. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the less dense the bean the slower the heat penetration. If molecules are farther apart the heat will transfer between them at a slower rate.

Ah....very interesting. 
I am going to have a hard time assessing these for a whole lot of reasons, but they do look lovely and I will start sampling them ..... as soon as I have waited as long as I can manage....

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2012, 06:51:03 PM »
Irish Coffees would be....a very good idea....

Indeed they would.  ;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »
This scale arrived today and .... I don't like it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OIRSSU/ref=gno_cart_title_2

It's going back. 
Back to the hunt.

Susan

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »
Can I ask you why the scale went back?  Was it purely cosmetic reasons?  I am looking for a new scale as well, and I have been happy with my previous KD-8000 by My Weigh. 

SJM

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »
Can I ask you why the scale went back?  Was it purely cosmetic reasons?  I am looking for a new scale as well, and I have been happy with my previous KD-8000 by My Weigh.

A couple of things were just wrong for me.  The readout is not very friendly.  It is backlit in blue for a while then that goes away, and the display is tilted at an angle that just makes it....hard to read.   Also there are so many options for "mode" and you have to run through them all to get back to the one you really wanted;  you have to cycle through from grams to tenths of a gram to ounces to .....   Having watched this scale not be able to make up its mind whether something was 14.5 grams or l4.4 grams, I think gram increments are plenty fine for me.  Also I had ordered the AC adapter with it and in retrospect that just anchors the scale, so....I'm returning the whole kit and kaboodle.  Actually it is quite handsome, so it wasn't the aesthetics, but the functionality that got me.   It was unfriendly...

I may try this one instead
http://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115C-Digital-Multifunctional-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:27:46 PM by SJM »

RobertL

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »
I can recommend this scale I bought it last year after it was recommended on CG's Christmas gift list. I use it everyday to brew my coffee and I have not had any problems with it.

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
SJM, I have the Escali you are looking at. It is dependable and simple to use. I've used it for coffee and baking every day for 3 years and have never had any problems. It has a tare function and toggles between ounces, pounds/ounces, and grams.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

SJM

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
SJM, I have the Escali you are looking at. It is dependable and simple to use. I've used it for coffee and baking every day for 3 years and have never had any problems. It has a tare function and toggles between ounces, pounds/ounces, and grams.

Cool !!!!
That's the one for me.
Yippee...

Susan

SJM

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
Is your scale plugged in or on batteries?
What I thought had scuppered my old scale was the heat on the lithium batteries.
My new scale as AA batteries and I am planning on using the hot pads.
Of course this morning I was halfway through the pour before I realized I hadn't put everything onto it....sigh...

Susan

SJM

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
So, when I went to put 50 grams of the Brazil I roasted last night in 4 oz jelly jars, they'd only hold a level 40 grams.  Had to use 8 oz jars.

These are much less dense than what I've been roasting lately, good to know.

Isn't it cool how we pick up and assimilate bits of information when they arrive in a practical way as opposed to how hard it is to remember that stuff out of context.

Susan